I one new this but now I forget maybe someone can refresh my memory... When you down tune your guitar by half a step that equals the same tension as one guage lower set of strings... or is it one whole step down that equals the same tension as one guage lower? In other words... guitar tuned to Eb with 10s... will be equal to a guitar tuned to E with 9s... or would it be 1 whole step (D)?? thanks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
i dont think theres a precise measure, just general rules of thumb and personal preferance

like for example I have my jackson KVX10 in E standard with .10 strings, but my guitar tutor has the same tuning in .9's and my friend at work has the same tuning in .8's which are too floppy for me but they think .10's are too tense

your best bet is to try a couple of different gauges at your preferred tuning the best advice i can give you is that if you go down and the strings feel too floppy you could try a gauge higher, but thats the best i can give u
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Figured it out with a string tension calculator online
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
I run .11's on my guitars in standard
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!