Page 1 of 5
alright so rancid fans, everyone knows maxwell murder. could someone fill me in on how matt plays the solo to maxwell murder? im not looking for a tab, i just want to know the method behind it

thanks
He plays with a pick.

Fast enough to make people think he's doing something impressive apparently...
Play fast with a pick. I don't think there's any more method than that. You could search Youtube and try to see how he plays it live, I guess.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
He plays with a pick.

Fast enough to make people think he's doing something impressive apparently...

This.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
He uses a pick, thats still somewhat impressive, but it takes away a lot from his solo.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
He uses a pick?
Well down with respect to him then.

This means Alec is now the BEST skapunk bassist evar. You play Five Finger Discount up to speed and tell me he isn't god.
All my favorite bassists use picks. So I usually use picks when I play. Even though I can play just as well with my fingers.
Fingers are superior
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Fingers are superior
I would make a joke, but it's not needed
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I can't play bass very fast with my fingers, I only use them when I'm in concert band at school, cause you get yelled at by a saxaphonist if you don't.

He plays bass in jazz band. He pwns. Hard. And he just started a year ago.

although my best friend who's learnign bass is learning by fingers, and I'm glad, because learning that way you do alot of different things, not pigeonholing yourself.
Who's that sexy man in your avatar?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by original=punk
He uses a pick?
Well down with respect to him then.

This means Alec is now the BEST skapunk bassist evar. You play Five Finger Discount up to speed and tell me he isn't god.

He plays with pick as well.
Quote by original=punk
Blake Shwarzenbach Duh. I'm a total ***** for Jawbreaker now.

good
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

matt freeman is awesome.
so to ts,just work on your scales and slowly build your speed up.
i dont know what your skill level is but you might also wanna listen to a rancid track
''white knuckle ride''
much better than maxwell
Quote by original=punk
I can't play bass very fast with my fingers, I only use them when I'm in concert band at school, cause you get yelled at by a saxaphonist if you don't.

He plays bass in jazz band. He pwns. Hard. And he just started a year ago.

although my best friend who's learnign bass is learning by fingers, and I'm glad, because learning that way you do alot of different things, not pigeonholing yourself.

Tell the saxophonist to go f*ck himself.
Stupid pretentious concert band kids.
I'm trying to learn with a pick. I'm really good with my fingers. I still have a lot of respect for Matt Freeman even though he uses a pick. He just sounds a lot faster than he looks.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Tell the saxophonist to go f*ck himself.
Stupid pretentious concert band kids.

I'm a concert band kid!

I'm also a music theory snob.
It's all personal preference. I mainly use a pick because I love a nice trebely tone. But sometimes, I'll use my fingers if I feel like playing a deep, grooving reggae line or if I wanna throw in some slap and pop. Matt has a lot of skill, but his popularity seems to take away from that and he gets the dreaded "overrated" label. It's ignorant to say he sucks; he's obviously one of the best in our genre.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Watch some youtube videos of him doing it. He has a general idea of what he's doing. His solo is different every night. He's basically playing as fast as he can while not caring too much on what notes he hits when he plays. I used to play that song in my first band. Everyone thinks you're sexy and they offer you sexual favors but it's really not that hard.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
The bass line to Wake Up by Crimpshrine is sooo much better than Maxwell Murder.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
even if he uses a pick he still has some cool bass lines
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Okay I just looked over this thread. You guys are making a huge deal out of using picks. Seriously, it's just a little piece of plastic you use to play. Sheesh.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
matt freeman's weapon of choice is speed.
so just start playing slow and slowly build up the tempo, it helps if you use a metronome.
and practice doing that with scales. do that everyday
^My weapon of choice is a Medival Flail.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
^My weapon of choice is a Medival Flail.

My weapon of choice is my intellect, which is why I'm always getting seven shades of sh*t kicked out of me.
In an interview before the release of Rancid 2000 he said that he learned to play bass playing along with The Who records. So there you go. Listen (and play along) to The Who, Entwistle's solo and Freeman and you'll be the next king of their style!
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Dial 999 if you really want the truth.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by BrianApocalypse
My weapon of choice is my intellect, which is why I'm always getting seven shades of sh*t kicked out of me.

Buy a flail. It will get you places
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Page 1 of 5