I've seen people only use their index finger to barre the 2nd fret on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings, but whenever I do this I always mute the e string. Is there any specific technique that I'm missing on this? Thanks.
They just don't play that high E on the chord. you can use two fingers to fret the the C#, A, and E on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings so you can hit the open E string
oh okay, I was trying to bend my finger so the high e would ring and I was getting upset >.< thx
I'm pretty sure if you did play the High E, it would be an E addsomething or sus something.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They just don't play that high E on the chord

Maybe some, but you cant say that on behalf of all people. I can play an open A chord with one finger without muting any strings.

I'm pretty sure if you did play the High E, it would be an E addsomething or sus something.

Nope. An A major chord contains the notes A C# and E.

As for the original question, it has a lot to do with your finger shape, size and flexibility, obviously not everbody is the same. Try it with your middle instead of your index finger though. I can fit the final joint of my middle finger in there to barre the D, G and B strings without muting any others.
I almost always use one finger to make an open A chord. The only time I don't is if there is a variation of A or a hammer-on right after. I also do play the high E, as most do. You just have to bend it at the knuckle.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
I use two fingers to do the A, or three depending if I'm playing A, Am, or any of the variations I use.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by tom183
Maybe some, but you cant say that on behalf of all people. I can play an open A chord with one finger without muting any strings.

Nope. An A major chord contains the notes A C# and E.

As for the original question, it has a lot to do with your finger shape, size and flexibility, obviously not everbody is the same. Try it with your middle instead of your index finger though. I can fit the final joint of my middle finger in there to barre the D, G and B strings without muting any others.

I meant if he barred it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Billy Chapman
I've seen people only use their index finger to barre the 2nd fret on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings, but whenever I do this I always mute the e string. Is there any specific technique that I'm missing on this? Thanks.

I know people that can just use 1 finger but i cant do it i just use my pinky middle and middle finger most of the time it gives it a cleaner sound. If you use 1 finger you have to flex your knuckle closest to your finger nail a way it shouldnt go...kinda hurts.
I meant if he barred it.

Doesnt matter if its a barre chord or not. You could play this chord:

-0-
-5-
-9-
-2-
-4-
-5-

Obviously its un-fingerable but that doesnt matter, its only an example. The notes of that chord are A C# E E E E. Its still an A major chord. It doesnt matter how many E notes are added.