OK my girlfriend is doing something totally amazing, she is buying an Epiphone gothic thunderbird bass, which im totally excited about, but im worried about one thing, she wants to get a plaque with our anniversary on it, and drill it into the body of the bass, im worried that doing this will completely screw up the sound of it or something horrible will happen, its away from all the wiring but im worried itll sound bad if she does this......

help/comments would be appreciated
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
2) The sound of a T-bird can't get a whole lot worse to be perfectly honest
3) This sounds like a terrible idea, however I doubt it will change the sound very much, depending on how much of the wood you displace. It may also reverberate funny.
i think it would work fine. and some how appropriate. when your done playing it, you could turn it into a reading lamp. might be a family heirloom someday!

sorry, i'm sure she means well. lol
i do partially think its a bit dumb, but it is a nice thing, and everybody need to think where she's coming from, i just need to kno, will if wreck the sound or not?
My first reaction was similiar to Bales, its a Goth so...well, he said it already. I would be a bit concerned about drilling and seating it correctly as well.

And there's this other issue. I'm a bit older than most of the bass players here (well except for 83LesPaulStudio and John Swift..), and I am going to give you and your girlfriend a bit of advice. I wouldn't do it. When I was back in NYC, a good friend once made the observation that the worst voodoo you could do to a relationship was to either spray paint your significant others name on a subway or get a tattoo with their name on your body. It was like asking for a break up in a matter of months if not weeks. This falls in the same category.

Get a piece of jewelry with the date on it instead and hang it from the headstock. Won't ruin the bass and is a lot less um...permanent.
thank u so much Anarkee, thats the kind of answer ive been looking for, straight forward and helpful...

ive been freaking out about this because she's planning on doing it tomorrow so ya, thanks again
And if you buy the piece of jewelry, it would actually be a bit more special. You can get some rather gothic looking hearts and crosses out there with a nice bit of engraving room.
This isn't really helping, but once you actually play the bass, you'll realize the following...

Cementing a relationship in an Epi T-Bird is a bad omen. Something representing a relationship should NOT head-dive like that. You should be able to access every part of it comfortably.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Something representing a relationship should NOT head-dive like that.

dont you like head-diving in your relationships?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
dont you like head-diving in your relationships?

If the bass was representing me, why not? But if the bass is representing a relationship, or stock portfolio, or plane, NO.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Since Epiphone basses are Bolt-On, you could replace the neckplate with the anniversery plate, it is much easily reversible, still in metal, and wont have the chance to mess up the sound.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by thefitz
If the bass was representing me, why not? But if the bass is representing a relationship, or stock portfolio, or plane, NO.

So was Enron the Thunderbird of stocks?
or you could get it carved or engraved or something like that into the pickguard
i jsut agree with tam here....permanent things that represent a relation ship are usually bad in the end.....then you all like
why would i do that
and it gets bad
then you try and get rid of it
and someone freaks out because of that
and it makes a whole big deal of it

haha

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Hergiswi
So was Enron the Thunderbird of stocks?

No. People forced Enron to collapse. Thunderbirds are happy to do it on their own
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It will probably look really cool and it's a good idea, but I don't think you could make a t-bird sound much worse than it already does.
Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 (Honey Satin finish)
Ibanez GSR 200 (Transparent Red finish)
Behringer BXL1800A
Hartke B150
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
Handmade killswitch

"Slapping is alot more violent and painful than fingering"
Quote by kranoscorp
Since Epiphone basses are Bolt-On, you could replace the neckplate with the anniversery plate, it is much easily reversible, still in metal, and wont have the chance to mess up the sound.

Ya know, if you decide to ignore the whole curse thing, thats actually a really good idea. Buy another plate for the back, put the anniversary stuff on it, that way if the curse is true, then you can always replace it, although for TS's sake I hope it isn't true.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Probably the worst idea involving a bass guitar I've ever heard. To be completely practical, what if you two break up? not saying you will, but she'll have to unscrew it and then she'll have ugly screw holes in it. Also, why on an epiphone? why not save it for something more worth it.
Siggity-sig-sig-sig.
Go ahead and do it. You can't make an Epi T-Bird much worse anyway.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
2) The sound of a T-bird can't get a whole lot worse to be perfectly honest
3) This sounds like a terrible idea, however I doubt it will change the sound very much, depending on how much of the wood you displace. It may also reverberate funny.

lmfao, quoted.

+1. 100% agree.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel