Normally metal does not hit my musical funny bone, but after hearing some Ensiferum songs, I was pleasantly surprised.

First of all this changed my conception of metal as just for angst-ridden teenagers, there is a great deal of musical inspiration here especially if you play ethnic or classical stuff.

1) It does involve the typical rhythmic power chord "chugging", it's fine but isn't really what makes Ensiferum great.

2) It's those amazing medieval-style guitar melodies that play over the aggressive chords that make for amazing contrast.

In many ways it sounds like classical music but the phrasing is simpler so it tends to stick in your head.

3) The vocals are harsh, which took some getting used to, you defiantly have to develop a taste for it. But once you do you prefer it over normal singing.

4) Sweeping! Yes there are some cool Malmsteen-ish, sweeps but what truly amazed me is that they are used sparingly and wisely, when they are used they make musical sense. So many times I have heard guitarists do a bunch of sweeps in a row and then call it a "solo".

I don't know if they have a rhythm player and a lead player or one guy that does both, in any case the lead player is great, unfortunately I don't think I could pronounce his name :P
Metal Forum.

kthanxbai.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I will note this down in my 'Why do I care?' notebook.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Yeah, metal forum

But if you liked them, you should love Wintersun.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Your misconception about metal is horrid, by the way. You're thinking of early 00's nu-metal and newer metalcore.

You're not thinking of the good stuff (Folk-metal would seem to be your taste, pick-up some Elvenking they are truly epic...and if you can count them as a Folk/Doom/Dark Metal band try Agalloch)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Checked out their song Ahti (First thing I clicked on the tube).

Meh I'm not a big fan of the keys... Vox kinda sucked, except for the low guy. ****ing Punishing. Drums = BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST little thrash part BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST
Sounded like a machine, too.

I dunno maybe without the keys they might be OK at best. I don't like
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
lol...

You obviously haven't listened to any real metal before. Ensiferum is just one of the many amazing bands you'll find that don't do "typical rhythmic power chord "chugging""
I'm a stupid jackass.
This thread needs more Finntroll.
And to whoever said Agalloch: Yes.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by King Of Suede
Checked out their song Ahti (First thing I clicked on the tube).

Meh I'm not a big fan of the keys... Vox kinda sucked, except for the low guy. ****ing Punishing. Drums = BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST little thrash part BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST BLAST
Sounded like a machine, too.

I dunno maybe without the keys they might be OK at best. I don't like

I just listened to it now, the Vox does suck, it's not a good representation of Ensiferum try "Hero in a Dream" or "Token of Time".

Thanks for the Elvenking and Wintersun suggestions I will have to give them a listen.
Quote by RPGoof
Kind of sounds like Korpiklaani to me

Yeah just listened to Beer Beer by them... I dunno, they're iffy, too.
I dunno, I'll have to listen to more, but I'm not sure.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by ixelion
I just listened to it now, the Vox does suck, it's not a good representation of Ensiferum try "Hero in a Dream" or "Token of Time".

Thanks for the Elvenking and Wintersun suggestions I will have to give them a listen.

Try some Swedish death like In Flames.

Check "Only For the Weak" on Youtube.
Kind of sounds like Korpiklaani to me

Polka-metal kicks ass, but a lot of the melodic stuff in Korpiklaani is done with other instruments other than guitar, thats why I prefer Ensiferum.
you must have not looked deep enough for metal that you'd like. there's plenty. check out therion, kamelot and eluviete. and someone correct my spelling.