Hey guys,

I'm a total guitar newbie, and about a month ago I was given a Fender Stratocaster (not a Squire, so it's pretty decent I think) and a Fender practice amp as a gift from my Dad after I was talking about guitar a lot around him. I'm totally stoked about it and everything, but the problem is my favorite guitarists and songs have the Les Paul sound... like really thick and ballys with lots of sustain, you know?? Slash, Billy Duffy from The Cult, Joe Perry.... that sort of deal.

I think getting the sound I like the most will help me stick with guitar over the long run. Right now it sounds way too clean and twangy no matter how I fiddle with the amp. I don't know anything about pedals or amps or anything.... So, can I do anything to get a heavier, thicker, more Les Paul-y I guess sound out of my Stratocaster? Is it possible? I'm not about to tell my parents to take it back.
A Fender Frontman 15G.

I have no idea what s/s/s or h/s/s means haha .
Quote by Ant000
A Fender Frontman 15G.

humbucker beside the bridge humbucker = h, s=single coil

you wont be able to do much with that frontman, look to upgrade your amp
Quote by Ant000
A Fender Frontman 15G.

There's the problem. Have you tried playing with the drive select button? Also s/s/s means all single coil pickups and h/s/s is one humbucker and 2 single coils.
Humbucker

Single Coil
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
ok click on the distortion channel...get a pedal like the big muff and have fun finding a sound you like
Oh okay, yeah it's all single coils for sure. So S/S/S.
Last edited by Ant000 at Mar 24, 2008,
I would get a new amp and new pickups (or just another guitar ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Ant000
Oh okay, yeah it's all single coils for sure. So S/S/S.

Just to make sure since I don't know how aware of this you may be, have you tried using the distortion switch or gain controls on the amplifier? Also, you may find a better tone by playing around with the pickup selector switch and the tone controls on the guitar.
try positions 2 and 4 on the pickup selector. i feel that they do a bit of a grittier sound because of the hum canceling. a strat wont sound a lot like a les paul because of the fact that its lighter, made of a different wood, and other things. but adjusting your amp and guitar (pickup selector, tone knobs) can make a big difference. i like position 4 (neck & middle) with the tone knob for the middle pickup rolled back to about 1/3 for a similar to LP sound. its not really like it sounds like a les paul, but i think it kinda works for that style. so try out stuff like that before you invest in some new gear.
dude if you take the pickup selector switch and put it in the neck position then cut the treble and crank the bass and volume knobs on the guitar itself you will get a thicker sound. Next go to the amp crank the bass to about 8-10 cut the treble to 4-5 then put the mid at about 6 then crank the gain all the way up, adjust the master volume to the amount of loudness your ears can take. that should give you a thicker sound. feel free to play with those settings. The neck pickup sounds the most thick and bassiest in my opinion i find it great for rhythm but you can get thick soulful sounds out of it too. If you are willing to buy a electro harmonix big muff pi reissue that will give you alot of thick sound and gain. I use a big muff to super charge my strats sound when i play lead, you don't have to buy one its just a suggestion if you are absolutely desperate but you should be able to make due with my settings with little or no change. good luck and congrats on owning a strat I'v had mine for 3 years and have to say its the only guitar i will play!
Thanks for all the replies, guys. It's really cool.

Quote by Shpongled
Just to make sure since I don't know how aware of this you may be, have you tried using the distortion switch or gain controls on the amplifier? Also, you may find a better tone by playing around with the pickup selector switch and the tone controls on the guitar.

Yeah I messed with them. It just seemed to sound louder and crappy as opposed to thicker and meaner haha . Maybe the amp is just junk. I don't mind spending some money but I just wanted to make this guitar work since it's really solid, is a cool color, isn't a cheap Squire, and my parents spent a lot of time picking it out.

I hope it's ok to post links, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nqL1g_TWrw&feature=related that's my dream tone. Just in the beginning where he's riffing there...
Well tone is more in the playing and in the fingers than most people give it credit for. So you aren't going to be able to get AMAZING tone as a beginner. You have to learn how to play first, and then the equipment will help. So keep working on it, learn your chords, learn songs you like, and learn some scales to start lead playing, and then upgrade to a Marshall and an LP if you want that sound.

But for right now, the best you can do is just try and crank the gain on your amp. Try a lot of bass in the tone to make it sound "ballsier" too.

I hope that helps

"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne