Page 1 of 3
search bar came up with nothing which i am quite suprised at. Anyway this thread is an ode to one of the best and most conveniently priced Distortion Pedals out there. It works great for pretty much everything except metal rythm palm muting. It was my first distortion pedal, then it broke because i fed a 18v adapter through it (stupid me.) then i had an MXR distortion III which i hated, it was extremley weak and scratchy sounding, luckily i had a friend who didnt want his DS1 (hes a black metaler) and i had a booster pedal he wanted so a quick trade changed all that. I forgot how much i ****in love this thing. It produces a great fuzz sound which kinda makes me regret buying a fuzz pedal, there are so many different sounds you can get out of those 3 little knobs. Metal Leads, **** yea!!!! why do you think steve vai uses one. Besides my wah its my favorite pedal.

So who else agrees with me here?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
all i know is that the OS-2 sucks!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
kurt cobain used one until he got a DS-2, and he only used the ds-2 on the non-overdrive setting, so it sounded very similar to the DS-1. im looking for a used one on craigslist, so i'll have one soon, hopefully
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
It's a solid pedal. Most tone freaks will hate on it, but I think (as a tone freak!) that's it's just about the best bang-for-buck mid-gain pedal out there.
I hated mine... It's somewhere in my room... No idea where.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
I hated mine... It's somewhere in my room... No idea where.

I'll take it
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I have one, but the the battery clip broke about a year ago. Someday ill get a power adapter, but right now i dont have the right amp for one of these anymore. If i get another fender amp ill start using it again. Great pedal though
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
my mate has one but recently got a metalzone, so he said he's gonna sell it to me, £30. nice deal, and i'm gonna do it once i've found the money... if only he had a Boss CE-5 chorus for sale too, and a Boss OC-2.
anyways, i agree. love the thing. nice sound, quality pedal.
I've just ordered one @ my local guitar shop. I'm no Hendrix and my guitar's a piece of **** so I'm not all that concerned about tone. But as far as bang for buck goes and the range of sounds you can get is it any good?
I have one, but I don't use it anymore. That thing spits out an insane amount of treble if you turn the Tone knob all the way to the right.
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'll let sebastian_96 take it

Fixed.

Quote by Fuzzbox91
why do you think steve vai uses one.

He uses a Keeley modded DS-1.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by black-sabbath

I had a ds-1 and had no real love for it. Then I bought the OS2 Overdrive and Distortion in a combo pedal sale.(all I wanted from the deal was a dime wah and a dd-20 delay) I love what the os-2 does to my valveking with some tweaking. great grunge tone for 90's rock/metal.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by hendrixftw
I've just ordered one @ my local guitar shop. I'm no Hendrix and my guitar's a piece of **** so I'm not all that concerned about tone. But as far as bang for buck goes and the range of sounds you can get is it any good?

it was my first pedal. I had it when i used a squier so to answer your question, yes its awesome. Especially if you play classic rock or punk.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Do DS-2 users count?

Quote by keiron_d
my mate has one but recently got a metalzone, so he said he's gonna sell it to me, £30. nice deal, and i'm gonna do it once i've found the money... if only he had a Boss CE-5 chorus for sale too, and a Boss OC-2.
anyways, i agree. love the thing. nice sound, quality pedal.

You can get a DS-1 brand new for £30...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by black-sabbath

i hate mine

as for the ds1 i cant say i like it either. tube amp distortion ftw.
Love my DS-1. Honestly, I thought it sucked until I heard other distortion pedals, and I realized that it's really an awesome pedal.
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
Quote by no_thing101
as for the ds1 i cant say i like it either. tube amp distortion ftw.

I bought a DS-2 because when i started using tube amps, as much as i loved the responsive smooth overdrive, i still wanted to be able to get the old buzzy solid state tones. It sounds great on the clean channel of a tube amp if the volume is loud, on my laney it kind of smooths out the high end fizz of the pedal when the volume is turned up a bit more. It gives me the tightness of a solid state amp, but it actually sounds good at gigging volumes too.

Here's a list of reasons why i think some people hate the DS-1 (or DS-2, to a lesser extent):

-You have to use the right amp. Modelling amps and cheap solid state amps don't like distortion pedals. even some tube amps don't like it.
-Sounds weak at low volumes. Use it with a tube amp and turn it up loud, then you'll feel the power. This only works with the right amp. If your tube amp fattens up the sound the more you push the volume, this pedal will sound great.
-"Low" output. But this isn't an overdrive/boost pedal. With the volume at full, its a fair bit louder than the clean signal. It wasn't designed to be a pre-amp boost, so you don't need too much extra output.
-Some people are just tube-snobs. if it isn't tube distortion (with an optional overdrive pedal), they hate it. Also, apparently its sacrelige to use a distortion pedal with a tube amp. you have to use overdrive, otherwise it makes baby jesus cry, or something. So either you make baby jesus cry and use it with a tube amp and get the most out of it, or use it with a solid state amp where it will make the audience cry.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 25, 2008,
I don't see how some one would own a DS1 with out modding it, I got a Monte Allum mod for mine, made it a great pedal.
Ibanez SZ 320MH >> Vox V487 >> Barber LTD >> MI Audio Neo-Fuzz >> Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Blompcube
I bought a DS-2 because when i started using tube amps, as much as i loved the responsive smooth overdrive, i still wanted to be able to get the old buzzy solid state tones. It sounds great on the clean channel of a tube amp if the volume is loud, on my laney it kind of smooths out the high end fizz of the pedal when the volume is turned up a bit more. It gives me the tightness of a solid state amp, but it actually sounds good at gigging volumes too.

Here's a list of reasons why i think some people hate the DS-1 (or DS-2, to a lesser extent):

-You have to use the right amp. Modelling amps and cheap solid state amps don't like distortion pedals. even some tube amps don't like it.
-Sounds weak at low volumes. Use it with a tube amp and turn it up loud, then you'll feel the power. This only works with the right amp. If your tube amp fattens up the sound the more you push the volume, this pedal will sound great.
-"Low" output. But this isn't an overdrive/boost pedal. With the volume at full, its a fair bit louder than the clean signal. It wasn't designed to be a pre-amp boost, so you don't need too much extra output.
-Some people are just tube-snobs. if it isn't tube distortion (with an optional overdrive pedal), they hate it. Also, apparently its sacrelige to use a distortion pedal with a tube amp. you have to use overdrive, otherwise it makes baby jesus cry, or something. So either you make baby jesus cry and use it with a tube amp and get the most out of it, or use it with a solid state amp where it will make the audience cry.

i simply found comparing it to a variety of other pedals it has a weak low end and much too much fizz. i just dont like it.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by no_thing101
i simply found comparing it to a variety of other pedals it has a weak low end and much too much fizz. i just dont like it.

what amp did you try it through?

Strange, I thought it was the worst gain pedal I'd ever heard. Apart from maybe the Metal Zone.
i used to love the boss distortions (i had a ds-2), but after i played more, experimented with effects, i've come to love the mi audio crunchbox and my other od pedals. now my ds-2 dosen't do it for me
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by no_thing101
tiny terror and ac15

fair enough, so you just don't like it ok then, may i ask what you're doing in this thread?

Quote by Blompcube
fair enough, so you just don't like it ok then, may i ask what you're doing in this thread?

ive got nothing better to do since its 2 in the morning and im bored.
Well since I got my JCM900 I didn't use my DS-1 for ages. But earlier this week I figured I'd have a crack at finding a use for it, and remember that Joe Satriani (obviously by my name I was gonna say that) uses it on his song Always With Me, Always With You. So I plugged in, dialled the settings in and hey presto, great tone. So I'm going to be experimenting with a few of my bands songs now because this little orange box is mighty handy for a good fuzz like lead tone. All it takes is some EQing both on the pedal and your amp.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I Use mine on my modeling amp and i still like it. I use it on the AC30 top boost setting with the dist. at about 7, level at about 9, and tone at about 5. It gets a great jimi hendrix tone that way. even with my mahogany les paul. No its not that good for metallica palm muting stuff but its pretty versitle, and like surfinwithsatch im always finding new uses for it. IT works as a good lead tone for my LP because the pickups are week compared to my jackson. Also i meantioned that it was the best pedal in its price range, are there better pedals, hell yea, but you would have to spend at least twice the price to find one. SOme (cough MXR distortion III cough) dont even keep up with it. By the way what do you mean by tube distortion, are you talking about the built in distortion on like a Mesa or a JCM 900 or are you talking about this kind of thing http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Solid-Metal-Dual-Tube-Distortion-Pedal?sku=154702
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
This thread = Fail. I used to love boss pedals... until I found out about tube amp overdrive... and now I'm buyin a splawn... and a REAL drive pedal... CMATMODS signadrive fools... I could go get a DS1 from my friend for free and he wouldn't care. Suppose I could send it to Keeley and have it modded to not suck...
Quote by Highwaytohell
This thread = Fail. I used to love boss pedals... until I found out about tube amp overdrive... and now I'm buyin a splawn... and a REAL drive pedal... CMATMODS signadrive fools... I could go get a DS1 from my friend for free and he wouldn't care. Suppose I could send it to Keeley and have it modded to not suck...

GTFO then

I rather like mine for getting a different lead tone than I could get from just my amp. Granted mine's and older one that was made in Japan.

I tried it side by side with my friend's new one, and mine was significantly better.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Well since I got my JCM900 I didn't use my DS-1 for ages. But earlier this week I figured I'd have a crack at finding a use for it, and remember that Joe Satriani (obviously by my name I was gonna say that) uses it on his song Always With Me, Always With You. So I plugged in, dialled the settings in and hey presto, great tone. So I'm going to be experimenting with a few of my bands songs now because this little orange box is mighty handy for a good fuzz like lead tone. All it takes is some EQing both on the pedal and your amp.

funny, ive found my fuzz really doesnt do a good always with me, always with you. high gain just sounds lofi with fuzz. my boss os2 is better at satriani for some reason. cant say anything about the ds1 for that cause i dont think ive played satch on it.
For the Always With Me, Always With You song he has his DS-1 set at 9oclock, 12oclock, 2oclock (same as always). Played on the clean channel, with Gain at 3, Treble at 6/7, Middle at 4, and Bass at 6/7, no presence or reverb but he uses delay. Joes DS-1 is unmodded (unlike vai's) but it is one of the older better made ones. My one is a newer one but still does the job well.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SSL27
I rather like mine for getting a different lead tone than I could get from just my amp. Granted mine's and older one that was made in Japan.

I tried it side by side with my friend's new one, and mine was significantly better.

yeah, from what i've heard, the closest thing nowadays to the sound of the MIJ DS-1 is the DS-2 in setting 1. Although i think the DS-1 is fine, if thats the tone you're looking for, some people want a thin, raspy sound. I wanted a slightly thicker raspy sound, so i got the DS-2.

Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Joes DS-1 is unmodded (unlike vai's) but it is one of the older better made ones. My one is a newer one but still does the job well.

Wrong. Satch uses Keeley modded DS-1's and is crazy about it. He even gave one to Petrucci on the G3 tour, which I doubt Petrucci ever used. I wonder if he'll really leave his modded DS-1's behind and exclusively use his new Satchurator pedal. Vai doesn't/hasn't always used a modded DS-1. For a while he was using a stock DS-1, started using a Keeley modded DS-1, and sometimes still uses stock DS-1's. Vai doesn't use the DS-1 as his source of distortion though, it's only used as a boost.
I got my DS-1 Today. It definately is a good pedal. It's not perfect, for you tone freaks you can go spend $200+ on a pedal but for $100 I have to say The DS-1 is a great buy. It can be a little weak or buzzy but if you use it under good conditions it's great.
i swear by the DS1 it was my first stomp box and even though I've tried many others nothing comes close oh and by the way it can be used for metal rhythm playing/palm muting i do all the time
Quote by hendrixftw
I got my DS-1 Today. It definately is a good pedal. It's not perfect, for you tone freaks you can go spend $200+ on a pedal but for $100 I have to say The DS-1 is a great buy. It can be a little weak or buzzy but if you use it under good conditions it's great.

Where are you that a DS-1 was $100?

I picked one up for $20 to mod. Stock it's not horrible but it seems pretty fizzy and not very versatile. I've heard that with some tweaks they can satisfy many tone freaks though so we'll see.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Page 1 of 3