Page 1 of 3
think someone who can sing and play a few chords... is better than someone who has actual talent?

some kid brought an acoustic to school today and played I'll be which consisted of maybe 5 chords... and kids were amazed especially girls (geez, kids why so stupid?)

then this other kid brought his electric and was shredding...it was INSANE..and no one seemed to care but me

Because they don't play guitar, genius.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
because.......this is the real world......where prince is more popular than iron maiden.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
because people want to hear actual songs (which can be done with 2 or 3 chords) and not a bunch of notes going by in a blur.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Singers get the chicks....?

I don't always see the shredders get shunned though....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
People who don't play will always be impressed. Especially when you play some easy song like wonderwall, smells like teen spirit, or simple chords. They don't know how easy it really is.. but it sounds great, so they drool over you. The tapping in eruption leaves people stunned.

Anyway but the guy shredding will leave people surprised. But hey. maybe they just didn't like his fast way of music? People are always impressed by spped.. maybe the kids there just weren't into that music >_>
idk but it tends to piss me off. tho i would probably be more entertained by the guy with the acoustic. i recognize that shred takes amazing talent, but it bores the hell out of me. kind of like free form jazz, it takes talents but i just cant make myself care...
cause they're noobs
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Because someone who can play Umbrella is going to get more pussy than someone who can play through fire and flames
ive noticed that too, and its gay but thats the way it is nowadays
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
people who bring their guitars for school for anything but a talent show or something are losers anyway
I don't understand why people that don't play music don't worship musicians. If they only knew how much practice and dedication it actually takes. For example, I have been playing guitar for about 2 years now. My non-guitarist friend said that he is willing to make a bet that he can get a guitar and play what I can and what I have learned in 2 weeks max. Music isn't a videogame.
well, uh, i dont think that there are too awful many girls that are gonna get off on some guy shreading and making obnoxious chugga chugga noises with their guitar

most girls would rather watch some guy strum an accoustic while singing "hey there delilah"

just the way it is, get over it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by abdulalhazred
because.......this is the real world......where prince is more popular than iron maiden.

if you had taken the time to listen to a little prince you may learn something....... he is an excelent musician who plays his own instruments and can probably shredd some far superior riffs than the likes of you and me
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Quote by abdulalhazred

/facepalm

You're stupid, Prince plays over 20 different instruments and played all the instruments on his albums until a few albums ago. If you've ever listened to few songs from his 70s and 80s albums, you'd be amaze. He can play some pretty bad ass rock guitar. "Bambi" and "Let's Go Crazy" are some examples of his good rock-oriented songs. Try listening to his music before you talk about him.
Girls will always fall over boys who play instruments more than boys that play sports...

Why?

Because boys who play instruments have nimble fingers...

And girls love nimble fingers.

!

Anyways, I'd rather hear a boy play a really simple song than get his ego inflated by playing some insanely drawn out and enlightened song anyday.
because sometimes (read: always) singing with an acoustic sounds better than "shred"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I find a song much more entertaining than a bunch of notes, however well performed it may be. I don't mean "a bunch of notes" to be offensive to shred either. It's pretty much the same with all instrumental music. Orchestras, classical guitar, even stuff like Andy Mckee. I can appreciate their skill but chances are pretty good I'll be listening to something with lyrics.
Its because the noobs just think that the shredding is random notes thats all, and the song sounds coller...
Quote by StratPat
****, nah I've never got anything like that, I just get 'YOU'VE WON THE MOTHERFUUCKIN LOTTERY IN IREELAND SEND ME UR DETAILS N U GET 10 000 000 DOLLLAAZZ"

But I'm sure some paid hitman wouldn't email that, and would have better grammar
actually if you can shred on an acoustic and make it sound good (ie emphasizing the backing chords so that they're not needed and imply the chordal melody) you will trump the dink playing 4 chords. how do i know this? i've done it.
Quote by johnpetrucci05
I don't understand why people that don't play music don't worship musicians. If they only knew how much practice and dedication it actually takes. For example, I have been playing guitar for about 2 years now. My non-guitarist friend said that he is willing to make a bet that he can get a guitar and play what I can and what I have learned in 2 weeks max. Music isn't a videogame.

Tell that to all of the hardcore Guitar Hero and Rock Band enthusiasts.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
because they dont know anything.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

I'd rather hear someone strum a few chords and sing a song than listen to some guy shred too. That is, unless the acouctic strummer/singer is strummering/singering hey ther delilah. Then I'd be too busy skull ****ing that person to hear either one.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by TheVagrantHero
they probably dont think its better just more entertaining. theres nothing wrong with that imo.

Exactly. Someone playing/singing a catchy popular song is much more appealing to your average joe than someone playing an insane shred solo. It's like me watching a movie like Harold and Kumar vs watching Citizen Kane or something like that. I know damn well that Citizen Kane is the "better" movie, and took more "talent" to put together, but I know nothing about making movies and Citizen Kane isn't exactly my type of movie, so I'm not gonna waste my time watching it when I can be far more entertained by my stoner buddies' journey to White Castle.
I did this one thing in class where I brought in an acoustic and jammed out for around two minutes, and I must admit I wasn't too shabby. Then a guy comes in, plays some drop D metal riff and everyone says I just got showed up, except for the guy who played the riff.

It's rather frustrating, but to be expected. I still find greater pleasure in showing myself up consistently though now, as in I am a lot less interested in impressing others now that I know it won't really matter. Brings me about a more introspective loomk on my playing allowig for greater satisfaction as if I am both performer and spectator.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by darkstar2466
Tell that to all of the hardcore Guitar Hero and Rock Band enthusiasts.

Lol I went to my hardcore-guitar heroist friend's house. And was playing along with the songs on guitar-hero that he was playing, he actually asked me about how long I thought it would take for him to learn these songs on real guitar...

Same with my dad's girlsfriends 8 year old son. He comes to my house and is like "GUITAR HERO, I WANT TO PLAY." Oh check this kid out on the internet, he is 8 years old and has got to be the best guitarist ever *cough* guitar-heroist.* I play along with his guitar hero as well and he doesn't even notice me playing, I don't even think he makes a distinction AT ALL, between the things, or even knows that the music behind the guitar hero actually exists.
Quote by xxoo
think someone who can sing and play a few chords... is better than someone who has actual talent?

some kid brought an acoustic to school today and played I'll be which consisted of maybe 5 chords... and kids were amazed especially girls (geez, kids why so stupid?)

then this other kid brought his electric and was shredding...it was INSANE..and no one seemed to care but me

erm, because just shredding gets boring fast?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by xxoo

Because playing fast doesn't make you "better" than someone. It's impressive, sure, but it's not always fitting for every situation, and it's harder to get into than simple chords and singing. And more people recognize the simpler, more poppy song than the shredder song, so they enjoy it more.

It's all taste. You might think that XX guitarist is the best musician in the world, but classical composers could outwrite him anyday.
Quote by abdulalhazred

Prince is every bit as talented if not more talented than Iron Maiden, please be informed before you say these things. Thank you and use a better example next time. Good day.
Also, Prince is good. I'd never listened to him before the Superbowl last year or whenever, but I really enjoyed his show, surprising me a ton.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1hoXJ7H2V8

I love shred, but his guitar playing sounds better in the context of a song. Shredding doesn't. When people who aren't elitist shred guitarist listen to someone play guitar, they want a SONG.

wow!

Watch your back malmsteen
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, because just shredding gets boring fast?

I don't think I have ever heard this "shred" that you guys always talk about. Even artists like Yngwie and MAB play fast licks at most with interesting licks and melodies thrown in between. I have never seen someone just play alternate picking scales up and down up and down up and down, maybe some sweeps at 200 BPM, alternate picking again, for more than about 5 seconds, unless it is a demonstration.
Quote by JuicyMango
Also, Prince is good. I'd never listened to him before the Superbowl last year or whenever, but I really enjoyed his show, surprising me a ton.

Prince plays a vast amount of instruments and genres of music.

Non-musicians may find somebody who can sing and strum a few chords more entertaining because there's singing. Shred might sound like random notes played at a high speed.

It all depends on opinion, really. I'd enjoy either.
It's like Diablo 1 & 2.
When you are a level 1, you cannot wear a greater armor.

nevermind.
People are just stupid.
I plays guitars.
Page 1 of 3