I was drilling holes to bolt the neck on (body is acrylic, I must have drilled the pilot hole slightly too small) and the screw head snaps off. **** **** ****!! nothing is sticking out, it's a couple mm's under. Any suggestions? I'd like to not damage the guitar at all...you know...I've got rum, but no coke! pppssshhhh
Last edited by muikoma at Mar 25, 2008,
The only thing I can think of is to use a drill press(so you get a perfectly straight hole) to drill out the screw. You can then fill hole by glueing in dowelling and redrill. Hope it works out for you.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by Guitarminator
The only thing I can think of is to use a drill press(so you get a perfectly straight hole) to drill out the screw. You can then fill hole by glueing in dowelling and redrill. Hope it works out for you.
The body is acrylic, which means doweling isn't a possibility.

They make tools for removing a broken off screw. They are usually a drill bit and a reverse threaded screw which fit into a standard cordless drill or, better yet (if you have one) a drill press. That would probably be your best option.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
The tool DuctTapeNinja is talking about is called an "easy-out." If you live near a Sears, Harbor Frieght, or possibly Home Depot/Lowes, then they should have them. Some hobby shops carry them too (this might be your best bet since you need a small one...Sears would be your next most likely place). Your going to need a pretty small diameter easy-out. You can get ones from Sears that will come with the drill bit and the easy-out as an individual kit. All you do is drill a hole into the screw with the drill bit, then insert the easy-out into the hole. Grab the end of the easy-out with something and start to slowly turn it counter-clockwise while putting some pressure on it to help it get a bite into the screw. I don't know how small they make them, but, you want to look for one that uses a drill bit that is smaller in diameter than the screw you want to drill out. Good luck.
Thanks guys, i haven't looked around yet but I'm pretty sure i've got one of those things around here somewhere. If i have to i can always go out tomorrow and get one. I'm just pissed cuz I wanted to put this thing together today...Alright I'm going back down now to have another look at it, i'm calm again
EEEHHHH!!! I fix I fix!! yaaay! I pulled and it came out, it snapped a piece of the acrylic off, but it was a perfectly clean break, so I was able to CA it back on. CA and acrylic were meant to be together, it's like it never even broke. I'd rather it didn't happen, but it's as good as new, so i'll take it.
and i aslo found some OJ and ginger ale, works nicely with the captain, so i am happy. ima watch gargoyles and eat nonna's cannelloni
Quote by muikoma
and i aslo found some OJ and ginger ale, works nicely with the captain, so i am happy. ima watch gargoyles and eat nonna's cannelloni

Lol
Proud member of the r0k 4 Chr15† club, PM christianbassis oe teh raven to join
My guitars-
Ibanez RX-40 (Had it since I was six lol )
A spanish classical guitar
Hehe, what a nutcase
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
is it bad that i said fuk in the title? I tried editing it but i cant figure out how...love me please