I don't really understand this question:

The parabola y=x^2 is changed to the form y=a(x-p)^2+q by translating th parabola 3 units up and 4 units left and expanding it vertically by a factor of 2. What are the values of a, p, and q?

and this question:

How does the graph of a quadratic function in the form y=a(x-p)^2+q change when the value of p is increased by 2, the value of q is decreased by 3, and the sign of a is changed to it's opposite?

any help would be appreciated.
sup?
1. a=2, p=-4, q=3

2.moves to the right 2, moves down 3, parabola faces down instead of up
omnipotato has got it. But you really should understand his answers. This is basic graphing and you will be screwed in higher math levels if you don't understand how to manipulate graphs. Just remember p denotes a horizontal shift. Remember that if it's a negative value, you shift to the right--kind of the opposite of what you would expect. Q is also vertical shift--positive Q=shift upwards, vice versa. "a" is how much you're stretching or shrinking the graph.
Quote by mystique facade
omnipotato has got it. But you really should understand his answers. This is basic graphing and you will be screwed in higher math levels if you don't understand how to manipulate graphs. Just remember p denotes a horizontal shift. Remember that if it's a negative value, you shift to the right--kind of the opposite of what you would expect. Q is also vertical shift--positive Q=shift upwards, vice versa. "a" is how much you're stretching or shrinking the graph.

Whooooo transforming functions.

To elaborate a bit on the stretching/compressing, if A is greater than 1, it's a vertical stretch, but if A is less than one, it's a compression. If a is negative, it's a reflection across the x-axis. Those are terms you're probably going to need to know. Rather than saying it moves 3 units right/up, you should also probably say it's 'translated'.
<Han> I love Hitler
Im good at teh math
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.