Hi UG,

I have been meaning to get a new guitar or amp, and I have about 700 bucks to spend on the purchase.

I can either buy myself an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar, or an amp. My idea of having a good amp is to have a Laney Head and a Mesa/Boogie cabinet, and that would cost me around 1500 dollars, but I don't have that much to spend right now.

I have only one guitar: my first one, which is an old Epiphone SG. I have seen that new Epiphones suck, but the old one I have is most excellent, and I am happy with it. If I were to get a new electric, I think I would get a Jackson.

Alternatively, I can buy an acoustic, maybe a Takamine or a cheap Martin.

Right now, the only amplification I have is through a small Dean amp, which does not feature distortion. I also have a Line 6 Guitar Port, but I hate the modeled tones. The third choice is to buy myself an amp, so I have something good to play with. However, I am hesitant, because I want that Laney/Mesa combo.

So, the question to you UGers is... which one should I get? An electric, and acoustic, an amp, or save my money till I have a couple of thousand, and buy the Laney/Mesa combo?

Any recommendations of electrics/acoustics/amps around the 500-700 range would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Shouldn't you have posted this in the EG forum...?

IAC I'd save up for a big ass amp.....
Quote by Våd Hamster
Shouldn't you have posted this in the EG forum...?

I have no idea where this would go, and I figured the pit would be a good place for general recommendations.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I have no idea where this would go, and I figured the pit would be a good place for general recommendations.

Hmm figures....

You gotta be careful though, the mods are everywhere....

>_>

<_<
Hard to say. Do you want an acoustic for anything specifically, or just to have one to the arsenal? I'd say go with a new amp, since you seem more than happy with the guitar you have now. And if you really wanted an acoustic, you would've had one by now.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Hmm figures....

You gotta be careful though, the mods are everywhere....

>_>

<_<

I am not being a dumbass. I am not spamming. I just asked for a little advice from the pit to help me figure out what I want to do, because I am the most indecisive guy ever. If politely asking for help gets me a warning or a ban, so be it.

Quote by fob12
Hard to say. Do you want an acoustic for anything specifically, or just to have one to the arsenal? I'd say go with a new amp, since you seem more than happy with the guitar you have now. And if you really wanted an acoustic, you would've had one by now.

Yeah, having a really good head and a cab will probably make me a happy happy camper, but I really want a new guitar as well. I've been thinking about an acoustic because the stuff I have been playing lately goes really well on acoustics. An electric would be nice though, because I play a lot of metal stuff.

Once again, indecision... kills me.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
I am not being a dumbass. I am not spamming. I just asked for a little advice from the pit to help me figure out what I want to do, because I am the most indecisive guy ever. If politely asking for help gets me a warning or a ban, so be it.

Dude I was joking. Why are you always so aggressive on me....
Quote by Våd Hamster
Dude I was joking. Why are you always so aggressive on me....

Awww, did I come off as aggressive? Well, that was not my intention.

*hugs*
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Save up for the amp. I always thought I'd be a bunch of guitars and a decent amp kind of guy, until I got my V3 and found out what tone was all about. It makes an enormous difference, get the Laney you really want.
Quote by darkstar2466
Awww, did I come off as aggressive? Well, that was not my intention.

*hugs*

Yay

I'd say get a tube combo that sounds good, but different from you target setup. That way you have something small and portable that still sounds good, and an alternate amp to use in the studio. That, or save for your laney/mesa. Depends on where the money comes from.
Nope, no sig here.