Whats a basic song structure as far as verses choruses and brides go?
And what do patterns such as ABAB(Random Letters I've seen used) mean?
ABAB is a standard Song form. There are several different forms you can use though, it really depends on the genre. Look up 12 bar blues for an example. If you are refering to modern radio music, then you usually just have an arangement of verse and chorus with an intro/outro, bridge and maybe a solo. And I'm not sure if you were asking, but A and B would refer to a section of a song (such as verse or chorus.)
what do the letters stand for?
or is it just like
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B
Or does it have nothing to do with rhyming at all?
Quote by O2TO
or is it just like
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B

it is nothing like that. the A B A B is just to represent somethign like verse chorus verse chorus.
Quote by O2TO
or is it just like
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B
A - rhymes with A
B - rhymes with B

Nope. It's just like V, C, and B. Just random letters used to symbolise a verse, chorus etc.
It IS like that ^
Those are rhyming schemes for writing. I dont really know about structures though, just listen to a few radio songs, a basic structure is something like Verse maybe a Prechorus then Chorus Verse Chorus Solo/bridge Chorus x2.

ABAB denotes a ryhme scheme. A rhymes with A, B ryhmes with B. Add more letter for more ryhmes, you can get stuff like AABABACDECDEAABABA.

Whereas V C V B C V B C is verses and choruses etc. they alawys use the letter that it stands for. Rhymes always start on A.

love is a dog from hell.