I've beem playing for about a year and a half. I currently own a crappy Monterey Stage Series Strat Knockoff. I'm Looking to buy a new guitar kinda $300-$600. I was thinking about An Epiphone LP Standard, An Epiphone SG or maybe a Fender Strat MIM.

I'm mainly into Classic+Modern Rock, Punk And Metal. I was wondering if there are any other options. I was thinking about an Ibanez or a Yamaha but I know very little about guitars. Do you guy shave any ideas for a good guitar?
i have MIM HSS Strat and it is very versatile but there maybe better for the amount to spend ...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
-dean razorback v is 599 and has a floyd rose built in if u want one its one of the best guitars u get but they are pretty big guitars so if ur tiny stray away
-les paul is a nice idea but i wouldnt pay 600 bucks for an epi Lp when u can get a gibson V for less unless u want a LP then save the money up and spend like 800 on their cheap new models they are extremly light for les pauls like sg light
-if ur small look at a bc rich mocking bird or sg but i wouldnt get the sg because every sg ive ever seen had an extremely bowed neck (every one in GC)
-if u dont want a floyd rose or just want a dean for cheaper money get the razorback classic w/o the floyd rose like 449.99 and it sounds pretty good imo it the guitar i use the most plus the dean guitars get the best metal tone imo or
-save up the money and order an ESP off line, guitar centers starting to carry them and for 1000 bucks u get nice emgs and a unique neck style just my thoughts
^ Disregard that entire post.

I'd second a fender mim strat with hss for the versatility, and to me they seem to be higher quality than an epiphone les paul standard.

You'll get a beefier sound with a les paul that regardless of your amp or pickups the fender won't be able to do, due to the body woods. Try them both out, I seem to play my fender more than my epi lp custom, but it basically comes down to your own preferences. I can't common on the epi g-400, though I hear good things about it.

If you're willing to spend $600, you could check out an ibanez S470. It's made of mahogany like the les paul, but has a superstrat shape, not to mention a very nice tremolo.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Mar 25, 2008,
dont disregard my comment but ill also add this if u play classic rock alot bick up a strat with sss they do a pretty good job for classic guitarists not my sort of tone i dont like hss guitars they dont do that well for tone in my opinion when paired to sss and hsh setup such as fenders and ibanezs , when i see a hss set up they are usually cheap brands (not insulting the guitar just the brand and their assoiation to it)
its not right to disregard my previous post because i no what im talking about when u buy a guitar u need one that
a) plays well for what u play or if u play different things is very versitile
b) find the best bang for ur buck
c0 find the guitar to fit ur body style and ur size big hands big neck big body big body
thats why i paly razorback good tone, the neck is perfect for my hands, and the body makes me look normal not like when i play tiny les paul where it looks like a toy in my hands but prioitize them right a b c not in a different order
Quote by lespaulrocks39
^ Disregard that entire post.

I'd second a fender mim strat with hss for the versatility, and to me they seem to be higher quality than an epiphone les paul standard.

You'll get a beefier sound with a les paul that regardless of your amp or pickups the fender won't be able to do, due to the body woods. Try them both out, I seem to play my fender more than my epi lp custom, but it basically comes down to your own preferences. I can't common on the epi g-400, though I hear good things about it.

If you're willing to spend $600, you could check out an ibanez S470. It's made of mahogany like the les paul, but has a superstrat shape, not to mention a very nice tremolo.

s470 ftw

not to forget the slim sexy s-type body
I'd say get an S470DXQM wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Mahogany body, slim neck, very good playability, very versatile, sounds like just the guitar you're looking for. Just don't forget to go try one out at the local GC or Sam Ash. Another good alternative would be the Fender Standard Strat with Floyd Rose. Another very versatile guitar, and they are very playable. They are made out of alder though, so make sure you go and try it out first, like always. You might like it though.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I have a Epi LP Standard, I love the feel of it but the sound isn't very good. I could change the p'ups, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on 'cause I'm going to buy a new guitar soon. Go for the MIM Strat, haven't really heard any bad about them and my brother has one that's awesome. I think I'm going for a Strat next time. American.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Get An Epi Lp 100
I Have One And It's Brilliant!!!!
It's The Most Versitile Guitar Ever
It'l Play Classic Rock With Ease
I Think That's What They Were Aiming For When
They Made It
I Paid €369 For And It Was Worth Every Penny
I'd go to a store, tell them your price tag and tastes, let them suggest some stuff.

I mean, they've been working in music for ages... right? They should know what they're talking about at least.

*edit*
Get An Epi Lp 100
I Have One And It's Brilliant!!!!
It's The Most Versitile Guitar Ever

Random caps ftl. Also, as someone who's played an Epi LP100 and an Epi LP Standard, I'd say the Standard is worth the price difference. It's just about under the $600 price tag (I think, saw it for £299 lefty t'other day), and it's a lot better than the LP100 imo. It just feels a lot nicer and more quality, while the LP100 I played felt a lot cheaper, and tone-wise it wasn't barely in the same league. You really had to play around with the amp settings to get that LP tone compared to with the Standard, where it was basically a plug-and-play case.

*more edit*
I've got a lefty Epi SG G-310, it plays wonderfully even through my less than astounding amp. Great quality for the price, I picked it up new for £169 (about $350).
Highly recommended.
I still stick with my initial point though, I'd go to a store and check out each of the guitars you're considering buying, then pick your favorite from them.
Last edited by MopMaster at Mar 25, 2008,