(stop the media file and let it buffer fully before playing)

santeria solo

what i got

i know they're pretty bad but bare with me... some of the parts in each of the solos i kind of improvised, namely the ending riff of santeria.

aside from those i've got minor pentatonic patterns 1-4 down, all the basic barre chords (7ths, minor, major, 5th and 6th roots) and open chords (7ths minor and major). i know i've still got a long way to go but i'm already diving into theory a lot and reading up on it as much as possible. i can palm mute (can play when i come around pretty much perfectly save the solo).

next big song i plan on working on is crazy train (the entire thing). what i really want to do though is be able to play lead effectively and write my own stuff to back songs. if anyone can give some pointers on how i can achieve this effectively please feel free.

anyway, please feel free to criticize or give some pointers. thanks.
Last edited by BOBThaBuilda at Mar 25, 2008,
your doing well for just 2 months leep rocking man
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
You're kickin my azz for sure. I'm almost 4 months in, and have most of the chords, but am just starting to play around with pentatonics.
Rock on!
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
If you've genuinely only been playing 2 months then I'm stunned. You're in tune, the timings good for someone playing without a metronome or backing track, you have a good tone and a really nice touch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks for all the encouragement guys, im self teaching myself so it's good to know where i stand. i don't really know anyone else that plays guitar so it's hard to see what kind of progress i'm making.

Quote by steven seagull
If you've genuinely only been playing 2 months then I'm stunned. You're in tune, the timings good for someone playing without a metronome or backing track, you have a good tone and a really nice touch.

i started playing probably the day before i joined UG so it's been pretty much exactly 2 months. i do have a mentronome though... maybe i should start using it
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
anyway, please feel free to criticize or give some pointers. thanks.

Not trying to put you down, but it drives me crazy when I can never get any constructive criticism... so...

short version: SLOW DOWN, you're trying to learn too fast.

long version: Your "what I got song"... you're hitting all the right notes and going through all the right motions, but that's not how the song goes, that doesn't make it correct. Get an MP3 of the Sublime version and play along with it about 100 times and then go back and listen to your recording and you'll understand what I'm saying.

For example, on the bend, it's a slow bend, that starts with the fretted note, then slowly bent quite a bit to a higher pitch, then held. Yours doesn't bend nearly as much, it's done much quicker, then you let go and go back to a lower pitch, which doesn't sound good at all if you know how the song goes. This is a very short riff, yet none of it sounds right.

Basically, you're playing the music, but you're not getting a feel for it. What you need to do is slow down and get a feel for it. Rushing like you are is not doing any good, you're trying to squeeze all this crazy stuff in under your belt while totally ignoring the fact that that's just not how that song goes. What's the point? It's better to be able to play simple things correctly than hard stuff incorrectly.

SLOW DOWN.
Quote by corndogggy
Not trying to put you down, but it drives me crazy when I can never get any constructive criticism... so...

short version: SLOW DOWN, you're trying to learn too fast.

long version: Your "what I got song"... you're hitting all the right notes and going through all the right motions, but that's not how the song goes, that doesn't make it correct. Get an MP3 of the Sublime version and play along with it about 100 times and then go back and listen to your recording and you'll understand what I'm saying.

For example, on the bend, it's a slow bend, that starts with the fretted note, then slowly bent quite a bit to a higher pitch, then held. Yours doesn't bend nearly as much, it's done much quicker, then you let go and go back to a lower pitch, which doesn't sound good at all if you know how the song goes. This is a very short riff, yet none of it sounds right.

Basically, you're playing the music, but you're not getting a feel for it. What you need to do is slow down and get a feel for it. Rushing like you are is not doing any good, you're trying to squeeze all this crazy stuff in under your belt while totally ignoring the fact that that's just not how that song goes. What's the point? It's better to be able to play simple things correctly than hard stuff incorrectly.

SLOW DOWN.

yeah i realized that what i got needs some fine tuning, i just never got around to comparing it to the actual track. thanks for the crit though i will work on getting it to sound right.
Another thing is that the 5th note should be accented and held. You're hitting notes 1-5 in a way too similar manner. They are not the same length or volume. On the second half of the riff, it goes like:

bum bummm... bum bummm... BUMMMMMM bum

not

bum bum bum bum bumm bum

Know what I mean? Work on your timing/rhythm and not so much squeezing all these scales and stuff in. You will sound better with less riffs/chords/solos under your belt but with a good sense of rhythm than if you knew every solo and scale in the world yet had no rhythm.
Agreeing with everyone who posted here. But I don't think you have all the chords you stated down (With switching decent) and songs like that in 2 months. So assuming you haven't got your switching chords to a decent level then I suggest you work on that.

Also timing is a little off, but for 2 months it's really no big deal. You'll get it as time goes on.

Keep on rocking!