Looking for a basic option to try recording electric guitar direct to PC. I've seen this computer guitar cable... i have line-out/in and mic sockets on my sound card.

Keeping it simple... what else would i need to record and then do some minor editing like trimming the audio file. Presumably the standard Windows Sound Recorder could handle the initial recording?

Thanks.
For a really cheap set up, all you need is:

-An amp that has a Recording/Line out
-A standard guitar cable (6.3mm mono)
-A computer jack adapter (3.5mm mono)
OR
-The Computer to Guitar cable you linked to, though that may be a bit more expensive.
-Audacity. A free recording software.

Make sure your cables are plugged in correctly (amp Line out to computer Line in) and you have configured your audio recording options in control panel or something. Open up Audacity, hit the Rec button and jam away. Play it back, add effects, chop it, add another track over it or whatever you want. For a "basic option" this sounds like your best bet.

Good luck
Last edited by Leutnant at Mar 25, 2008,
You can go even cheaper by doing this, this is what I do by the way, buy a 1/4 1/8 adapter for like £2, get a guitar cable, plug that into the adapter, plug the adapter into the Line In socket, plug the cable into the guitar and use vst effects for distortion etc etc OR plug it into a pedal.

You can get some pretty good results if you get the levels right. Listen to Vampyric on my profile, I recorded it this way.
Quote by geetarmanic
Looking for a basic option to try recording electric guitar direct to PC. I've seen this computer guitar cable... i have line-out/in and mic sockets on my sound card.

Keeping it simple... what else would i need to record and then do some minor editing like trimming the audio file. Presumably the standard Windows Sound Recorder could handle the initial recording?

Thanks.

that cable is a standard 1/4" - 1/8" with TS connections.
and they overpriced it quite a bit...

Just go to monoprice.com or soemething and get the same thing...but for much less cash.

You need sequencing software as well but you are in luck since there are a good choice of free programs out there these days. If you want to spend time learning, Reaper is a great program. If you just want to get ideas down, go with Audacity (stable version when you download).

Reaper has much more features to choose from and you can really do a lot once you learn to use the program properly. I started using it last month in place of Audacity for my ideas and I really enjoy it now that I know it well.
VST plugins are effects that you add to the track. They can be anything from distortion to eq to chorus, delay, flanger, wah etc etc
I picked up an adapter yesterday and installed Audacity... seems to work fine so thanks for the help, guys! I got the best results when i plugged the guitar into the PC soundcard's microphone input socket, rather than the line-in socket... is that the way to do it?
Well, the opposite works best for me, I read somewhere that plugging it into the mic socket can damage it, dunno if thats true though. Try messing around with volumes and such to get the best sound.

I record with the volume thing on the 2nd marker and that works fine for me.