hey guys,
every time i go to a music shop they always rip me off. i must know some tips to haggle the managers to give me free ****.
teach me UG!
thanks
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
get them to spend lots of time with you on the product (that way they feel guilty if they don't get a sale)

and if they don't do you a good enough deal, walk out because there is a chance they will tell you to come back, and that's when you will save some money.
Never be afraid to walk away, even if it's something you really need.

Don't give business to an irritating salesperson. If someone is trying to walk all over you, request a different salesperson or go to a rival store.

Only go shopping for one big ticket item at a time and know exactly what you want to look at. For example, don't fiddle around with three or four amps if you know exactly which one you want to try. Go to that one and don't act interested in anything else.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by tenaciousjp
hey guys,
every time i go to a music shop they always rip me off. i must know some tips to haggle the managers to give me free ****.
teach me UG!
thanks

Most stores dont give out anything free and will rip you off.
Best thing to do when shopping for anything (not just music gear) is to research and find what you need before going to the store.

GCs love noobs because they can get them to buy just about anything (which I'm against...)
Just ask for free stuff. At most Guitar shops, the employees get a comission, so if you act like you're really interested and then try and walk away, they'll try their best to sell it to you (even if you're asking below asking price).

Another thing to do is make up prices. Like, if you see an amp for say £500, say you've seen it elsewhere for £400 and they'll most likely knock some of the price.

When I got my RG, they knocked off £100, and I got a free lead and gig bag. I didn't need them, but the point is, I could get them free. Just don't be afraid to haggle, and if they say no, just walk away.
A good idea is to lie.

Say, "Well I like this *insert guitar name here*, but I've only got $300. I know it's $400, but I'd really like to buy it."
Then, if they say no, say you understand and walk out to your car. Then go back in and say "Hey, I was able to find an extra $43." (it helps make it more believeable if it's not a round number, you might even want to use a roll of quarters or something)
9 times out of 10, you've got the guitar.
First i talk to my favorite salesperson, you got to establish an relationship and the guy will give you all the info you need, like how much they got it for like the "real" price. Then if he doesn't have the power to go to the price you have, always talk to the manager, never to the assistant manager because there an ass...istant and want to look good on the manager (well, in my experience :p. Then do research make it look like your a pro who knows a lot about gear and which gear are coming soon, so they will be like "wow this guy know more about gear than i do, and I'm the manager" so you can like say "you know this is discontinue (if the product is) and there are new stuff coming in, this will just take space away from new stuff and you will loose money by having this thing in here which you will never get a stock of again" and if you were believable then you can get the deal that you want but in reasonable price
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
You can't expect to get deals and free stuff every purchase you make. Once they get to know you and see that you shop often, they'll make deals for you without even having to negotiate with them. That's how it is for me. I was at GC on Saturday trying out a Vetta 2 that I'm going to be picking up in a few hours. A few of the guys, including the manager, know me very well. The guy knew I was interested and told me he'd set me up with a good deal before I even questioned the price tag.

Quote by Tom_hatton
Just ask for free stuff. At most Guitar shops, the employees get a comission, so if you act like you're really interested and then try and walk away, they'll try their best to sell it to you (even if you're asking below asking price).

You'd be surprised. Most GC employees do not make commission because of their ridiculously high goals for the month.
Quote by Guitarmiester

You'd be surprised. Most GC employees do not make commission because of their ridiculously high goals for the month.

I wouldn't know about GC, I live in England. But all the ones I've been to here they make a comimssion. Suppose its just different over there.
I noticed you're in England. You were the only one to mention commission, so I used what you said as a something to go off of. I'm sure guys working in local shops make commission, but GC employees generally don't reach their goals in order to receive commission.
You really want to get good deals on guitar gear?

Buy used.

Or find a friend who is a compulsive buyer and will sell you his extra stuff for cheap.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous

Or find a friend who is a compulsive buyer and will sell you his extra stuff for cheap.

LOL
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Use the search bar, you'll get awesome deals!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
If you're in England, go to sound control and say something along the lines of "I have <insert amount here> and i need <insert item here> for a gig in half an hour." 9 times out of 10 you'll be leaving with that item. Works for me...
truly don't expect to save money every single time or try to haggle with every single thing you buy. if you do the workers will know ur gameplan the second they see you and get annoyed with it prolly. and they'll use the line "the management wont let me go any lower than this price sorry" and they'll be just as stubborn as you can be.

but if you choose the right times to haggle (i.e. bigger purchases such as amp or guitar or pedals over $100) then they'll see that ur not just trying to jip them out of profit every time.

i'd say try to get about 10% off purchases between $100 and $500. then 10 to 15% for up to 800. for stuff over $1000 try up to 20% off.

and of course you can compensate other free gear or pedals for saving money. just dont go in there thinking you're gonna throw in a reissue ibanez tubescreamer w/ your blackheart amp. you gotta find the right priced items to do that with.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
no no im gonna haggle these guys this time, there the ones that sold me that little sh!t box Marshall MG im not going to let them screw me this time. they took advantage of me, they didnt let me test out the amp before i bought it the salesman was testing it before me and way like" oh you like that sound" what about this?" what was i to suspect a kid that was playing for 4 months and it had Marshall written on it.

but this time im getting my money's worth.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Guitarmiester
You can't expect to get deals and free stuff every purchase you make. Once they get to know you and see that you shop often, they'll make deals for you without even having to negotiate with them. That's how it is for me. I was at GC on Saturday trying out a Vetta 2 that I'm going to be picking up in a few hours. A few of the guys, including the manager, know me very well. The guy knew I was interested and told me he'd set me up with a good deal before I even questioned the price tag.

+1

The salesman tend to treat you much better if you're a good customer for them...

Almost all of the deals I've gotten have been without asking, and I always get a call back from the salesman that I bought something from.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
um. A little off topic here, but everyone talks about GC. wheres samash, hmm?? they're good too y'know!
Last edited by esp1234 at Mar 25, 2008,
If your like getting a guitar or something and your talking to the salesman about it,say something like"Does the guitar come with a case or something".

That could work but um im afraid i don't have anymore advise.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Quote by esp1234
um. A little off topic here, but everyone talks about GC. wheres samash, hmm?? they're good too y'know!

GC is more common, that's why.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
well as long as ur not paying more than the going price for gear, ur not getting ripped off. it's ur fault for not testing it first, tell them you'd like to try it urself so that way you can hear how it sounds when YOU play so you know ur not gonna change ur mind after you get home.

wait...ur gonna get back at those guys for selling you an MG by buying MORE stuff from them? even if you get a good deal....ur buying from THEM....they wont give a **** in the end haha they'll just care that they sold you MORE stuff. way to show em'!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i buy everything i can though sweetwater, i have a rep that i call every time i need to buy something and he comes though for mo, never pushy either
Free guitar set up with the ourchase of every guitar, and still i got a discount i bought a koa strat for $590 norm price was $700!!

if you want the name of the rep i work with pm me, hes a great help to me, hes one of the only sales people ive ever dealt with that treats me as an adult rather than a teen that knows nothing
yeah the only music shops around me are,
Steve's Music
Long and Mac
cosmo's music
theres no Guitar center in canada so those are my only options near me of course.

but this time im not gonna let them screw me over imma' gonna haggle them for sh!t.

also i was 11years old i didnt know better i was like oh marshall its amazing!!! i soon found out 3 months later....this is a C.unt sack
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12

ERG Custom Guitar