Poll: Which of these amps for good metal tone?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of these amps for good metal tone?
Orange Tiny Terror
4 17%
Laney GH50L
10 42%
Krank Rev Jr
7 29%
Something Else
3 13%
Voters: 24.
Hey guys, well ive been lurking here for a while now and thought id finally make an account.

Ok the reason im posting is because im interested in buying a tube amp. Ive only had solid state amps up until now but im wanting to upgrade. The 3 amps ive been looking at are the Orange Tiny Terror, the Laney GH50L, and the Krank Rev Jr. Which one of these would get me the best metal tube tone? Im after a quality tone, not a cheap tacky sounding one (played a randall rh50t in a store and this is the impression i got with this head) im not interested in the amp being versitile, i just want it to give me a good modern sounding metal tone. Which one of these amps should I go for? I would go and try them out but atm I dont drive so i have no way of travelling to stores that stocks these amps.
The Laney is good, although I'm pretty sure its more than £400. If you want an idea of how it sounds, DragonForce use them.

Heres a good clip of the Laney

I haven't played the Tiny Terror or the Krank, but the Tiny Terror is apparently really good, lots of gain. Try searching youtube for clips of them, and someone posted a site yesterday where people upload clips of their amps, I'll try and find that for you.

Very Good Tiny Terror Clip

Are you looking for a combo or head and cab?
Last edited by Tom_hatton at Mar 25, 2008,
im looking for a similar amp check out the peavey VK112 most likely need a pedal, RG50TC and B-52 AT-112
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Id deffinately 100% go laney on this one. Not because im a laney *****, but thats what the GH was built for, the TT is more of a classic rock amp, the kranks overpriced, the valveking is ****e, and i dunno about the randall/B52..
Quote by Tom_hatton
The Laney is good, although I'm pretty sure its more than £400. If you want an idea of how it sounds, DragonForce use them.

Heres a good clip of the Laney

I haven't played the Tiny Terror or the Krank, but the Tiny Terror is apparently really good, lots of gain. Try searching youtube for clips of them, and someone posted a site yesterday where people upload clips of their amps, I'll try and find that for you.

Very Good Tiny Terror Clip

Are you looking for a combo or head and cab?

I found the Laney for £400 on www.gak.co.uk

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

yeah ive tried searching youtube for clips and from what ive found the laney seems to be the best, but after all i cant go by soundclips completely, feedback from the amps users is also key imo. Ive heard good things about the krank but there isnt many youtube clips for this amp, and the ones on there arent very good.

Im after an amp head, i already have a 412 cab
Quote by the_mustard_man

yeah ive tried searching youtube for clips and from what ive found the laney seems to be the best, but after all i cant go by soundclips completely, feedback from the amps users is also key imo. Ive heard good things about the krank but there isnt many youtube clips for this amp, and the ones on there arent very good.

Im after an amp head, i already have a 412 cab

Ah right. Well try the Laney thread, theres a lot of GH50l users in there.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Ah right. Well try the Laney thread, theres a lot of GH50l users in there.

that threads a little big for me to keep track on, its over 400 pages and keeps growing! if anyone else has feedback on the laney or any of the other amps can you please post or vote or both
Laney GH50L sounds like... exactly perfect for you... I mean, where you live, and what you are playing, and the amount which you want to spend. Only other alternative is a used marshall JCM800...
Quote by beckyjc
Id deffinately 100% go laney on this one. Not because im a laney *****, but thats what the GH was built for, the TT is more of a classic rock amp, the kranks overpriced, the valveking is ****e, and i dunno about the randall/B52..

Lol at your unending hatred of ValveKings. They're not **** it all. I highly suggest you try one TS.
Between those three, I'd go with the Rev Jr. myself probably, or the Laney.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
GH50L is a BEAST. That's all.

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Lol at your unending hatred of ValveKings. They're not **** it all. I highly suggest you try one TS.

Well, theyre okay for cleans. But distortion sucks ass. And thats what matters to the TS by the looks of things.
yeah a good gain sound is all the matters as I rarely play clean, im really stuck between the krank and the laney. I can get either one for £400, but i really cant decide which.... if only i could try them out, does anyone else who owns one of these amps have anything to contribute? really need to decide which to go for