I was thinking about this...

Why do amps have different channels, like clean and lead for example.

If you have like a ds-1 and some other stuff, couldn't you get the same sound using the clean channel with the fx from your pedals, other than have to use the lead channel from the amp?

And I have tried using the "lead" channel from my 10w marshall ss with my digitech100a and it doesn't sound good... Is that the same for all amps? If you don't use the clean channel, and use pedals for specific effects, it will sound bad?
answer, each channel is like a specified sound e.g distortion and clean, flick the switch one way you're clean, the other its distorted

clean sound has no effects added to it so YES you have to use this channel when using your stompbox, from what i know most amps are like this
if you have a good amp, the lead channels sound way better than a stombox ever would.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by HeadacheBR
If you have like a ds-1 and some other stuff, couldn't you get the same sound using the clean channel with the fx from your pedals, other than have to use the lead channel from the amp?

You can get different sounds yes, but you can't get the exact same sound. Tube amps specifically benefit from this as almost all pedals are either digital or transistor based. A three channel tube amp will give you three options using nothing but tubes to generate the overdrive which (usually) will sound warmer and fuller than digital/transistor based circuits.

Quote by HeadacheBR
And I have tried using the "lead" channel from my 10w marshall ss with my digitech100a and it doesn't sound good... Is that the same for all amps? If you don't use the clean channel, and use pedals for specific effects, it will sound bad?

I'm sorry, but that's not exactly a match made in heaven. In fact I can't think of a scenario at all where a solid state Marshall doesn't sound bad. If at some later point you invest in a quality amp and some quality effects, you'll start to observe the tonal subtleties therein.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by ValoRhoads
if you have a good amp, the lead channels sound way better than a stombox ever would.

+1
Yes Kendall, I know that my match rules! lol =P~

So lets take Vai for example... He mainly uses his Legacy amp and lots of pedals, etc.

So can I assume that he never uses the other channels but the clean, so that he can use it with his pedals?

Quote by metallica92

clean sound has no effects added to it so YES you have to use this channel when using your stompbox, from what i know most amps are like this

And if he does use the other lead channels, does he "turn off" the fx pedals so that the tone is not affected by them?
You can still use FX pedals on any channel, just generally a distortion doesn't sound good over the distortion of the amp's which is why you use it on the clean channel. Vai probably uses a distortion or overdrive pedal on top of his gain channels to boost or tighten up the distortion already there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Amps have channels for one or both of two reasons,
One: For specifying the amount of gain, such as fender's hotrods have three channels, clean, drive, and more drive... or as you said, rhythm and lead.
Two: In my case, my Vox has two different channels that you can setup you sounds independently, I have both a clean fender sound and a distorted 5150 sound as my two channels.

To answer your second question, no pedals do not have to be used on the clean channel. That is incrediably stupid, no offense. The only pedals that are recommended for clean channels or slightly overdriven are your beginning stage distortion/overdrive... such as a grunge or hothead pedal. Modulation(phase, flange, rotary speaker) can and should be added to any channel, as reverb, tremelo, octave, chorus etc. Treble, gain, or pickup boosters are designed to specifically be added to your lead channel to make it that much better when soloing, or whatever your doing. The only reason you have to use pedals on your clean channel is when they are an distortion/fuzz only unit, and when added to an overdrive channel all they do is feedback because of too much distortion. if you turn down your gain or drive knob on the lead channel, you can use these pedals there too.
I see what you mean now wannaberocker19!

Thanks a lot for your help and everybody else! =)

I luv this forum! <3
Quote by ValoRhoads

i dont know, the strokes use fender amps + the jeckle and hyde distortion/overdrive and their tone is pretty killer
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by HeadacheBR
Yes Kendall, I know that my match rules! lol =P~

So lets take Vai for example... He mainly uses his Legacy amp and lots of pedals, etc.

So can I assume that he never uses the other channels but the clean, so that he can use it with his pedals?

And if he does use the other lead channels, does he "turn off" the fx pedals so that the tone is not affected by them?

Wrong. He uses the lead channel of his amp most of the time. Not really lots of pedals, just a modded DS-1 and some modulation stuff.