Hey all..

I've been planning to buy a new stratocaster to upgrade from the compilation of parts that I now call my current strat...

Just wondering if anyone had any input on fingerboard choices. I know it's certainly a matter of player's choice and/or preference, but i was curious about the difference between a rosewood fingerboard and a straight-up maple neck and fingerboard. I'm currently playing rosewood and love it, which makes me lean in that direction but i wanted to explore all my options.

thanx for the input.
Maple is brighter whereas rosewood is warmer. It's preference as to what sound you want. Although, the difference is soo tiny, it's barely noticable, and mostly comes down to whether you prefer the look of dark or light wood.

Also, since maple is sealed, a lot of people say it plays smoother feel-wise.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
*cough*searchbar*cough*

Maple: Slicker, doesn't need to be treated, slightly brighter

Rosewood: Rougher, needs to be periodically treated, slightly warmer
I like maple more. It seems to be easier to bend on. It itsnt quite as rough as rosewood.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
I think I slightly prefer maple, is seems easier to play, in my oppinion, although i've only play a few maple necked guitars, so i could be that they all happened to be daoss and have maple necks.
id actually go the other way

i prefer rosewood on my strats

there is a tiny difference in sound and feel
more an appearance thing for me
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
I'll definitely try a couple of each out to see if i can notice any difference...but sounds like the general consensus is maple. Sounds like maple is gonna produce more of the tone i want too. thanks everyone
Quote by spartan900
I'll definitely try a couple of each out to see if i can notice any difference...but sounds like the general consensus is maple. Sounds like maple is gonna produce more of the tone i want too. thanks everyone

That's fine, but don't expect any difference in tone. Honestly, the only real differences are in feel and look.
ya the diffrence in tone is SOOO minute that it will be very hard to hear a difference. Generally I think more people choose rosewood over maple in guitars I see. I have a maple fretboard on my standard strat and a rosewood on the srv and les paul.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
i've played maple before, and never really heard a noticeable difference in sound either. The reason i asked about the tone was referring to the brighter vs. warmer tone depending on the fingerboard choice... but if there's really no difference maybe i should just focus on the guitar color instead haha
ya i mean just get what feels best. theres nothing anywhere that says maple is for beach music rosewood is for blues etc.. just get what feels right now you in your hands and good luck to you on your purchase
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
the sound differences are small (and you can change it with your amp) so...
Just see what feels good
Maple feels a little harder than rosewood as well. I like how rosewood feels, but really never played alot on a maple fretboard, so I'm biased.
Im a typical maple guy really, wouldn't mind rosewood tought, i don't feel much difference.
Depending on how much you wan't to spend you could have both. My hollow classic has maple with a madagascar rosewood fret board. Really nice warm timber to the neck.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
also... most stratocaster-necks (all of them?) are made out of Maple with a rosewood or maple fretboard...

if you've got a maple fretboard the neck is like... one piece (or seems to be) what looks waaaaaaaay nicer and... feels... different but in my opinion better...
a rosewood fretboard is obviously mounted on the maple neck and it just looks like the neck is made out of 2 parts (what it basically is...) and looks not as great and feels slightly worse then maple
I love both. Rosewood does feel rougher, which you will notice if you bend alot. It's not a big deterrent though.

I like the looks of maple slightly more, as well as the playability.
When I think strats, I think maple.

Strats (IMHO) are supposed to have lots of pop and snap and maple will induce it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"