I'm getting my first tube amp ever in a week or so, ordering a Valve King 212 today.
I just wondered, how am I gonna do to let the tubes warm up? power button on, let the tubes warm up for a minute or so, and then standby on?

Or is it standby on, let the tubes warm up, power button on?

Help
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
ok i think this will help. turn power on, let the tubes warm up for 2min or so, then when you are ready flip the standby switch and have fun. standby does nothing when the power is not on.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I always leave the standby switch it in the "play" position and just use the power switch. For most tube amps, the standby switch doesn't really do anything unless you're dealing with a MASSIVE amount of plate voltage usually found - the type found in bass amps that are dealing with several hundred watts.
Hi, I'm Peter
Power on ---> Wait about 30 secs to a minute ---> Standby on.

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by thejester
ok i think this will help. turn power on, let the tubes warm up for 2min or so, then when you are ready flip the standby switch and have fun. standby does nothing when the power is not on.

Okay, thanks a lot. Do I know when the tubes are warmed up someway or are they always done after some minutes?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
2 minutes is excessive. If you insist on using standby, you only need about 30 seconds. And when you turn it off, just kill the power. Some people will tell you nonsense about letting the tubes "cool down" in standby (which is retarded since the whole point of standby is letting them warm up to playing temp).
Hi, I'm Peter
+1
30 seconds to a minute is all you need.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Dirk Gently
2 minutes is excessive. If you insist on using standby, you only need about 30 seconds.

Okay thanks.

I just hope the amp is a good upgrade to my GTA10 practise amp. ;D
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
^^^

that standby switch means that you cant put any signal through the amp, which you dont want to do until its nice and hot.

Power on
Wait 2-5 minutes
Standby on
Rock out
Standby off
Few seconds
Power off

Then wait until cool (probably 15-30 minutes) before moving amp.

People will say its over the top and unnecessary, but if your spending a fair bob on a good amp, then it deserves a little time and respect. Dont cut corners of it will come out of your wallet in the form of replacement valves.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
Valves are not expensive (unless you get insanely good ones) and you don't have to let it 'cool' as Dirk's already mentioned.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by bobsyouraunt
^^^

that standby switch means that you cant put any signal through the amp, which you dont want to do until its nice and hot.

Power on
Wait 2-5 minutes
Standby on
Rock out
Standby off
Few seconds
Power off

Then wait until cool (probably 15-30 minutes) before moving amp.

People will say its over the top and unnecessary, but if your spending a fair bob on a good amp, then it deserves a little time and respect. Dont cut corners of it will come out of your wallet in the form of replacement valves.

It is excessive. And pointless. The only good advice you gave is waiting until cool before moving it. That's the only part that will actually jeopardize the life/stability of the tubes.

I've practiced "bad" standby switch/power switch habits for the 10 years I've owned my amp and only replaced my power tubes once in that time. And that was just because they started to sound stale, not because they were defective. As I've said before, standby switches are useless on most guitar amps.
Hi, I'm Peter
2 minutes excessive? well id rather have them be sure to be warm then not. its not like it hurst the amp at all. I always recomend turning standby switch off when you are done playing and then do power. just repeat the process. bobysyouraunt said it best
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
2 minutes excessive? well id rather have them be sure to be warm then not. its not like it hurst the amp at all.

You do more damage letting them warm up and not doing anything than playing a signal through them whilst they're slightly cool...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Aff let's see if I get this right

Power on
Let the tubes warm up for a minute
Standby on
Have fun
Power off

And leave the standby on until next time I play?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
No, you're right, it doesn't hurt the amp at all, it's just pointless. Hell, let it sit in standby for 30 minutes. I mean, if you want to do that, that's your prerogative; I just like being able to turn my amp on and playing as soon as I can thereafter.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeap up to here:
Quote by fila_93
Aff let's see if I get this right

Power on
Let the tubes warm up for a minute
Standby on
Have fun

If you're going to be playing it and are just going to grab a drink or whatever it's cool to turn off the STANDBY whilst you get it, and turn it back on when you get back - turning off POWER will just cut all power from your amp and you'll have to wait again.

If you're going like, out for instance, turn off power AND standby (doesn't matter what order) and go do whatever.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

The standby is there also to save your speaker. Some tube amps have a huge pop when turned on that's gonna do damage to the speaker every time you turn it on. It'll just become second nature after a while too. Hope you like your new amp!
Real men don't need sigs.
What I do is pretty simple.

Leave switch on standby, turn power on.

Attach guitar cables, figure out where I dropped my pick, and strum.

Realize that I forgot to switch standby to on.

Switch standby to on.

Proceed to annoy crap out of neighbors.

The time I spend plugging cables in and just simply getting ready to play is ample enough time to warm up the amp. Unless you live in an icebox.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."