Hi.

I've got a Fender Pro Junior (tube- 15 watts) amp, second hand off ebay. I've had it for about 6 months and its been nice to play with. My problem is that I'm finding the amp REALLY bright, anything higher than the 10th fret on the e string really stings my ear and its getting on my nerves now. Its generally not quite as bad with overdrive/ distortion or on the bridge pickup, but the neck pickup just hurts.

So far I'm thinking of getting an EQ pedal, as I might be able to turn the treble down a little (I also have no tone from a chain of about 5 pedals, so I could still do with one) or replacing the speaker. If this is the right thing to do, what speaker would you suggest? I'm relatively sure I have enough money to buy a speaker and get it changed along with a general servicing.

Thanks for any help.
Tone Knob?

New speaker would be cool. I recommend an Eminence, look at the Ragin Cajun or Lil' Buddy.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Roll off the tone knob a bit.

Also note that when you buy a Fender amp, odds are pretty good that you're going to get a "bright" amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
just eq it properly

try setting the treble really low (a bit above zero), bass really high (almost max) and mids just a bit below the bass (3/4 of the perhaps)

EDIT: you should try the celestion g12h 30 thats a pretty dark speaker from my exp.
roll off the tone knob on the guitar and the amp... bridge pickups are bright... so combined with a bright amp what do you expect to happen?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Use those knobs on your guitar; they'll work wonders. Too, rolling back on the tone knob on the amp makes a dramatic difference. I owned a PJ for quite some time; it has that classic fender brightness, but I never found it uncomfortable. Just make ssure the amp tone is further to the left.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by STriNG-RaY
just eq it properly

try setting the treble really low (a bit above zero), bass really high (almost max) and mids just a bit below the bass (3/4 of the perhaps)

EDIT: you should try the celestion g12h 30 thats a pretty dark speaker from my exp.

No EQ on a Pro Junior
I think an EQ would work best, but a speaker swap can never hurt Look into Eminences...
Depending on your budget look at MXR 6 or 10 band EQs for the pedal, or a Danelectro Fish and Chips on a budget =]
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by STriNG-RaY
just eq it properly

Pro Junior control panel:

An EQ pedal seems like a rather pointless and indirect way of solving your problem. For a start, the PJ has a 10" speaker so it's naturally going to be a little brighter than other amps. Try plugging into another cab (say, a 2x12) to gauge how much of the brightness is coming from your speaker. If the change is singnificant enough that you want to replace it, Eminence and Weber make good replacement ten-inchers and the new Celestion 'mini-Greenback' looks promising.

Secondly, you'll need new tubes. I don't know much about individual models of EL84s I'm afraid, but any good valve supplier should be able to recommend you a decent matched set. Fenders usually come with GTs, but if you've bought the amp used you'll likely need new output valves by now anyway.
Several things can influence it: Your guitar itself, your speaker, your tubes, and your tone knob. As mentioned, try rolling back your tone. You could also make a little more use of your neck pickup. Another fairly cheap solution would be new tubes, followed perhaps by a different pickup in your guitar. Of everything though, I feel the speaker makes the biggest difference in the tone of something.
Quote by MrCarrot
Tone Knob?

New speaker would be cool. I recommend an Eminence, look at the Ragin Cajun or Lil' Buddy.

+chocolate