I'm planning on buying a 6505. I've checked out the specs and some soundclips, and I think it should be great for what I want.

The 6505 is cheaper, but I've heard the cleans aren't as good.

The 6505+ apparently has better cleans and a EQ for each channel, which is always good.

But would you say that the extra £200 is worth it for the 6505+ or not?

Cheers.
go for the 6505+. I would much rather have an EQ for each channel than a master EQ.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
The difference in gain is neglibible, and the difference in cleans isn't THAT noticable - you can notice it, but they're still not GREAT cleans.

I find the extra EQ gives it much more diversity though, so it depends if you're ONLY playing metal and suchlike or you want to fool around in some other genres too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The 6505+ is better, but 200£?

...naah. I'd say that's so much it ain't worth it. You're probably better off getting the 6505 and better speakers/tubes or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'd say it depends on what you plan on playing. If you are going to be using the clean tones regularly, the 6505+ is for you. If you're looking purely for t3h br00talz, I don't think the 2 EQs are worth the extra cash. You'll probably want an OD anyway, and you can rig that as your second channel. Hell, buy a Fish N Chips EQ and throw it in front... turn it on to go to "channel 2"... that's a whopping $40.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
^^^ I play progressive metal, Tool/Mastodon, various shred... I do play clean a bit of the time. Do you reckon sticking a chorus in front of the 6505 would do the job?
Could go for a different amp and use a TS9 or something in front of it. You'd get a heavy tone and some nice cleans at the same time.
WOW, do u guys know the difference between the two?

The 6505+ has a clean channel, the 6505 is just a lead head, so take advice from someone who owns won, you almost wasted your money, if you want cleans buy a 6505+, also the 6505+ comes with plenty of more options.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by Tom_hatton
^^^ I thought the 6505 had 2 channels... why else would it come with a footswitch?

Yes, it has 2 channels. The "clean" channel isn't totally clean unless you use very little gain and maybe turn guitar volume down tho. Also, the 6505 doesn't have a separate EQ for the clean channel, making it worse than the 6505+'s clean channel.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
No, it has to channels, Crunch and Lead, turning the gain all the way down will still have distortion on it (like an 80s distortion/classic), there is no way to get an ACTUAL clean tone from it, the whole point of the 6505+ (+2 EQ).
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Well the 6505+ gives Matt Tuck "that ripping tone I need" so I say go for that

But seriously, I don't know much about the 5150s and 6505s but I'd prefer seperate EQs for the channels whatever amp I had.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by DSchmitty
No, it has to channels, Crunch and Lead, turning the gain all the way down will still have distortion on it (like an 80s distortion/classic), there is no way to get an ACTUAL clean tone from it, the whole point of the 6505+ (+2 EQ).

No you can go from clean to 80s crunch on the "Clean" channel, or cleans i leave the gain at 2, it breaks up a tinny bit, if you dont want that just turn the gain down and roll of the volume/and tone
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Sounds like the 6505+ is probably the best decision, although I'm still not it'll give me the right tone...