always wanted to play guitar(acoustic) so i went and got one!! ive been playing(well trying) for around 3 weeks now. ive only just managed to play chords after each other! is that bad?? oh, i also cant read tabs, ive tried the lesson on here but i go to a song and it confuses me!! doh!
Tabs:

Each number represents a fret, so 3 would mean play the 3rd fret, for instance.

The letters represent the strings.

E-----------0-
B---------0---
G-------0-----
D-----0-------
A---0---------
E-0-----------

So you would play all open notes here.

If there is more than one note on one line, it is a chord.

E---
B---
G---
D-2-
A-2-
E-0-

So you would play an E powerchord.

Hope that helps.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Don't worry, everyone has to start somewhere.

Tabs are easy to read. Let me explain:
The lines represent the guitar strings. The lowest one is the thickest, the highest one is the thinnest.

The numbers on them represent the fret at which you hold the string. 0 represents an open string. O for Open.

Several notes written directly above one another mean that they are played at the same time, like a chord.

So this:
e|-----
B|--3--
G|-----
D|-----
A|-----
E|-----

Would mean you hold the 2nd string at the 3rd fret.
Usually, there are also explanations of what the other letters and symbols in the tab mean, at the bottom of the tab.
cheers for the help, ive kinda got it(i can play the smoke on the water bit) but its when the page is full of numbers! thats when i get confused! i find it easier to read chords at the mo?