I'm building a splittail and the problem is the headstock. The headstock paddle is too small for a dean headstock even if i cut and glue wood from the headstock paddle on the sides. I made this images to have an idea of what combines best. You can suggest more headstocks if you don't like those beneath.

Last edited by superbadboy2 at Mar 25, 2008,
I'd probably go with the jackson-style.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
I think a variation of the bottom arrow-type could work well if you made it a straight point instead of being rounded off, and maybe even bringing the two bottom corners out a bit, so that it might look like a thorn a bit. To me that seems like it would fit the rest of the guitar.
none
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
i think that the second one fits the best out ot the three, but id experiment with a few more just to see.
I like the V headstock... but the guitar is ****ing ghastly. I didn't think anyone liked those things. Good luck with it though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
The Gibson style one
I'd say either make something with the SG-style horns (BC Rich territory), or hunt for a bigger slab of wood to make a decent Dean headstock.

If you're doing a build of this caliber, then you need to get ever detail perfect.
i hate to admit it, i really do
but the gibson one gives it a royalty kind of look to it.
real nice
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
I like the ran headstock but it might be too pointy and fragile. I also had the idea to make a gibson style headstock but shaped like a dean one. That concept still needs to be developed.
Quote by gald
I'd probably go with the jackson-style.

+1
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
i like the gibby v hstock
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
The 2nd one is the only one that doesn't like hideous, in my opinion .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'd try to find wood to match the paddle, glue it on and make a nice Dean-like headstock. It'd be the perfect look for this guitar in my humble opinion, and worth the hassle. Other than that, the Gibson V one is my favorite.

Where does the neck come from? They might be able to help you out with offcuts?...
The neck is from stewmac. Its a 24 fret neck through. Maybe i can get wood from the end of the neck but it would be a bit hard because i would have to plane it and glue it to the sides of the paddle.
You're getting this neck, right? :

Did you already get the neck? If not, ask them for maple offcuts the same thickness as the headstock, they might throw them in for free. If you already have the neck, it shouldn't be too hard to find small pieces of maple to glue on each side of the paddle so you can shape a Dean headstock. Something like this :

I already have the neck. And the pieces that are between the "V" (from the dean headstock) are not big enough to glue on the sides of the headstock. I can get wood from the end of the neck bt that wood needs to be planned, sanded and worked. It would be easier to make an headstock that fits on the paddle. One piece headstocks are stronger. One thing is right. I will need tons of help from the guitar building experts from here. I still need to buy tools. I'm thinking on making a thread only about my build.
Quote by superbadboy2
I already have the neck. And the pieces that are between the "V" (from the dean headstock) are not big enough to glue on the sides of the headstock. I can get wood from the end of the neck bt that wood needs to be planned, sanded and worked. It would be easier to make an headstock that fits on the paddle. One piece headstocks are stronger. One thing is right. I will need tons of help from the guitar building experts from here. I still need to buy tools. I'm thinking on making a thread only about my build.

One piece headstocks are not necessarily stronger. Same way a 5 piece neck pwns a one piece. The glue you use to bind the wood is actually stronger than the wood itself..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Why not do a normal Gibson style one but on the outside edges just carry them on up and round a little to copy the horns on the body?
^ I thought about that but then i saw the schecter devil's headstock but it doesn't combine that well with the horns of the body. Thinking better on your idea i'm going to do some drawings. Now i'm really confuse.
if your painting it anyway, The type of wood you use in the headstock wings won't matter, You could even use a bit of firewood if you want, you're probably better with a hardwood, but if you dowel join it and use good glue, i can't see it snapping off unless you traet it like absolute ****e.

It is crying out for a dean headstock, though...
Last edited by jimRH7 at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by superbadboy2
^I can't use cheap woods. The tuner holes are on the joints of the wood.

Can't you afford two little piece of wood to make the headstock wider? Gluing them on correctly is going to make that part of the headstock stronger. As someone said already, the glue will be stronger than the wood itself.

None of the headstocks you posted really appeal to me. The look pretty out of place to me.
Quote by superbadboy2
^I can't use cheap woods. The tuner holes are on the joints of the wood.

What you could do, is cut the headstock paddle before you glue on the wings, so that the wings don't line up with the holes, if you're worried about it, although i'm pretty sure most guitars that are built with this type of headstock are built with the holes over the join anyway,and if was a serious structural issue, i'm sure they would have altered the design.

Don't take my word for it though, i've never made a guitar.

The wood itself doesn't need to be expensive, it just needs to be quite hard.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Mar 26, 2008,
I got an offer for you. If you decide you wanna do a Dean like headstock and need to widen the paddle, I'll send you hardwood pieces to glue on. I have some birch that'd do the trick nicely, and maybe even some flame maple.

You'll just need to be careful when gluing so that everything stays put and flush. After a few hours in the clamps, your headstock wings will be as strong as the rest of the neck. As others have said above, fully cured glue is actually stronger than wood, no worry there.

I you decide to go ahead, I'll need to know the exact thickness of the paddle, and how long and wide the pieces need to be to accommodate your headstock shape.
the gibson one
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by Joel Rainville
I got an offer for you. If you decide you wanna do a Dean like headstock and need to widen the paddle, I'll send you hardwood pieces to glue on. I have some birch that'd do the trick nicely, and maybe even some flame maple.

You'll just need to be careful when gluing so that everything stays put and flush. After a few hours in the clamps, your headstock wings will be as strong as the rest of the neck. As others have said above, fully cured glue is actually stronger than wood, no worry there.

I you decide to go ahead, I'll need to know the exact thickness of the paddle, and how long and wide the pieces need to be to accommodate your headstock shape.

Thanks for the offer but you live on another continent. If i bought wood from you, the guys from the portuguese custom would charge an insane amount of taxes. I already payed tons of money only in taxes. The neck was +- 130 euros and i payed about 120 euros only in taxes from the custom. I called the customs before buying the neck just to know how much would i pay and they said about 45 euros.

I have huge amounts of ash and have the end of the neck. I can cut wood from the end of the neck and glue it on the headstock.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Why not do a normal Gibson style one but on the outside edges just carry them on up and round a little to copy the horns on the body?

I was thinking the same actually. Or maybe just a standard Dean headstock with the points curved to match the body.