I have gotten 3 emails so far like this for my ibanez guitar I'm selling on craigslist:

Hello Again,

Thank you for your response,

I am sending you this email to make a final reconfirmation of the Ibanez Artcore AS73 Hollow Body Electric Guitar and also to let you know that payment will be made to you by Certified check which will be mailed to you via FEDEX NEXT DAY AIR.

I'm Mr.Peter Click and my address is ------------------------------. This is where my item will be shipped to.

Regarding the shipping, I have a shipping agent that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination , Do not worry about shipping, the company will send down a representative to arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.

I also want to let you know that an overdrafted check will be mailed to you, which means the
check amount will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to my place in hawaii ) as well as the money to be paid to my shipping agent that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you.

As soon as you receive the check payment, You are required to cash it immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to my shipping agent that handles the shipment .

The check will be in your name to make it easier for you to receive payment, Once the money is received by the agent ,the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately.So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check to you.

(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
[3]Zip code,
{4}State,
(5) your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
{6} accept my offer
{7}Final asking price

Once you get back to me with all the above, the check will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you via FEDEX .Hope to hear from you immediately.Looking forward to your swift response.i will also be offering you extra $170 for keeping it for me till the shipper comes for the pick up.

Thanks so much and It will be wonderful doing business with you.

Peter.

All the emails are very similar to this one. It's a scam right?
Yes, why would it be that complicated to get the money, and send the money to him. It's definitely a scam.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I've seen emails identical to this one before. Be careful.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Doesn't sound quite right to me, better leave it unless someone is 100% sure it's fine
It's a scam man, looks like a paticularly nasty one too seeing as he's sending somebody to pick it up. Either phone the police and see if they want to sting him or just pull out of the sale.

Usually they rely on people withdrawing the cheque the day it's available and sending the money, then it bounces the next day leaving you out of pocket and minus a guitar.

The fact he's sending somebody to pick the guitar up probably means that if you notice the cheque has bounced you're going to get a beating.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Mar 25, 2008,
yes, definitely, i tried selling stuff on craigslist before and got loads of emails identical to that (different name though, lol.)

there was also another one they tried pulling about the person being on old cripple who couldnt move so i had to send them the item, then wait until a check comes in the post..

basically.. yes, it's a scam. dont trust it one bit.
wat.
Scam. He's going to send you a counterfeit check. Once you try to cash it you will be caught and arrested. "Someone who is not me" has had this experience before. Well, "someone who is not me" realized it was a scam when the check sent was counterfeit upon careful examination.
Tell him you no longer wish to sell it. He is pulling something. Thats ridiculous. Who has a personal "shipping assistant" or whatever he called it??? If he has enough money to do that he can buy a new Ibanez.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
dont ever deal with checks only do paypal or online exchages,with checks they can just send u a paper
Quote by hen
Scam. He's going to send you a counterfeit check. Once you try to cash it you will be caught and arrested. "Someone who is not me" has had this experience before. Well, "someone who is not me" realized it was a scam when the check sent was counterfeit upon careful examination.

Either that is gonna happen or you cash the check, send the guitar and the cheque bounces leaving you out of pocket and guitarless. Although a sane person would leave the check to clear before sending anything out (but funds can be withdrawn at any time if the check was fraudulant).
Its a standard scam.

Seriously, there must be thousands of these go through each day.

When will people learn....?
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Total scam dude.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by JackalUK
Either that is gonna happen or you cash the check, send the guitar and the cheque bounces leaving you out of pocket and guitarless. Although a sane person would leave the check to clear before sending anything out (but funds can be withdrawn at any time if the check was fraudulant).

Exactly.

If you don't end up sending the guitar you get a counterfeit check though, kind of neat to have, regardless of how illegal
craigslist is supposed to be a local trade. Keep it local, don't send anything across the country unless you're using eBay, which is a little more secure... I think....
OP. Take this...

Quote by nebiru
Tell him you no longer wish to sell it. He is pulling something. Thats ridiculous. Who has a personal "shipping assistant" or whatever he called it??? If he has enough money to do that he can buy a new Ibanez.

and this...

"i will also be offering you extra $170 for keeping it for me till the shipper comes for the pick up."

...into account.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
OP. Take this...

and this...

"i will also be offering you extra $170 for keeping it for me till the shipper comes for the pick up."

...into account.

Yea, easiest way to get rid of those guys is just shoot em a mail saying "Local cash sales only."

That's a good policy to have in general unless you know the buyer or are using an escrow service
Definitely a scam.

People that live a long ways away from you and use middle men typically do this.