I just recently bought a used 200 watt B80XL Crate amp, for only $150-160 at a pawn shop!!!! My friend and I was hoping to get a good deal, and we was talking to the guy about wanting a cheap amp with 100 watts or more. I honestly didn't think I was going to get anything below $200, but I did! However, after a little usage, I was not satisfied with the small amount of distortion it carried. So, I took a distortion pedal and effect pedal, plugged them up to it, and it suddenly sounded much better. I certainly can't complain for the cheap price. However, is there any pedals that might make this thing shine a little more? I was thinking of a Metal Master, but not sure how much they are.
Not really. Those are bass amps aren't they?
Sure, a disto would work, but don't expect great tones, as it's probably a cheap, and poor quality amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Hair Banger!
I just recently bought a used 200 watt B80XL Crate amp, for only $150-160 at a pawn shop!!!!

You do know you just bought a bass amp, right?
dude stay away from metal effects,sounds u want are deep smooth deep notesand soft high notes otherwise ur amp will sound like a giant rock falling into the grand canyon
If you do get a metal pedal, get a metal muff. Still, why a bass amp? Maybe, though, you could put a floor processor with amp simulation through it, using it kinda like a keyboard amp. You know.... blank slate kind of thing.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Well, honestly, it was all they had that suited my budget and wattage need. I can get distortion with pedals, or plenty of distortion if I pre-amp it. Honestly, you'd mistake it as a guitar amp if you heard it rigged.
Quote by carniferous
If you do get a metal pedal, get a metal muff. Still, why a bass amp? Maybe, though, you could put a floor processor with amp simulation through it, using it kinda like a keyboard amp. You know.... blank slate kind of thing.

The blank slate theory works best when your amp is intentionally clear, not covered in the dust of apathetic neglect.
Quote by Hair Banger!
Honestly, you'd mistake it as a guitar amp if you heard it rigged.

The difference is there and most would notice, at least I can. One of the bands I was in during high school, the rhythm guitarist was playing through his bass amp. He was primarily a bassist, but switching over to guitar for whatever reason. Can't say his tone was anything great using a bass amp.
Quote by Highwaytohell
why would you buy a crate... I guess if you are happy with it its ok but... just uggh I hate crate tone

Well, we all have our own tastes in tone. Just think what it'd be like if we all liked the same thing.