Right, so me and a mate have been working on music for a while on guitars now and today we finally got our first proper practise in at the drummer's house. He had two Marshall MG's, and I couldn't for the life of me get a decent tone out of them.

Well that's a lie. The clean mode sounded alright, and I ran my distortion pedal through that fine at the beginning (though it did feedback at every possible opportunity), but then due to the arrangement of the song my friend needed to use the pedal and I ran my guitar straight into the amp's built in overdrive channel.

And I've basically seen that MG's have two settings: plinkety plink acoustic or arse grindingly rough electric.

Any ideas on how not to butcher my ears at any future practices? Besides the option I'm currently considering which is just dumping my amp at his house to use when I'm there.
i have yet to be able to get a decent tone out of an MG. The sound it gives is just spaced out and just lacks any kind of kick. So kick it instead:P
Nope, they are pretty much POS's. Not to insult you there mate! Depending on what you play, and really versatile option one of the cheaper fender tube amps (Hot Rod series). By themselves, amazing cleans and good bluesy crunch. They take pedals very well, which is how you can get a good classic rock sound.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
depending on the tone you want, style of music you play, if you dont want to trust ur amp at someone elses house, then use the clean setting with some sort of pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
depending on the tone you want, style of music you play, if you dont want to trust ur amp at someone elses house, then use the clean setting with some sort of pedal.

That is the best worst option really.