Im looking at buying my next guitar, and theres one I really like, although its a baritone.

I usually know a fair amount about guitar gear but this has always escaped me, anyone care to explain?

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

It has a longer scale and I believe they are tuned to B. So basically you will pretty much have a death metal guitar without all the downtuning.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Longer neck, tuned lower, thicker strings, heavier sound.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Ah what I thought really, It could work because i do often use drop b/c

Although I do like standard at times so it wouldnt really work?

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

Quote by BcRichOwner
Ah what I thought really, It could work because i do often use drop b/c

Although I do like standard at times so it wouldnt really work?

Just use the Baritone for your lower tunings and use the guitar you have now for standard.
Or you could just put a capo on the baritone if you really needed it.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Yeah that also crossed my mind haha. It would be nice, although the only reason I like the baritone more is because of the matte black finish over the clear one of the standard version.

Heres the two im talking about, its the top two
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_mhnt.html

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

They are both badass I think. I always wanted a baritone guitar.
this question is a bit random, but do you have to buy specially made baritone strings because of extended neck length?
Looks like it..

And those are "lights" ahah. 13-62? Jesus, I tried 60's once on my guitar and it was just brutal playing with those. On another good note it made my fingers alot stronger.
I own a Baritone, and I love have loved every minute of it.

A Baritone is tuned to B Standard (perfert 4th down) B/E/A/D/F#/B is the tuning.

Mine has a scale length of 26.5", so not TOO much longer of a neck than a regular guitar, allthough, a longer neck means larger frets, so a Baritone is not a soloing guitar really, but rather a very good rhythm guitar. I have a custom set of GHS Super Steel strings on my Baritone: 13, 18, 24w, 38, 48, 63 (the 5th and 6th strings are both bass strings, they are more robust have provide a thicker sound).

I play in everything from Drop Bb to Standard, so I knew this was the guitar for my needs, and I wasn't wrong. To acheive standard, all you have to do is to drop the low B to an A (giving you Drop A tuning) and then capo at 5, or, if youre like me and dont want to be 5 frets up, I tune to D Standard (whole step down from Standard) and capo at 2, the inlays become the same and I use the inlays to help guide me when playing fast, so I like capoeing at 2 on my Baritone.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.