When people want to have a minor scale do they use Normal minor (the Aeolian mode) or Harmonic minor?

I play violin and in violin music whenever it is minor it will be in harmonic minor because it will have the #7th as an accidental but on some guitar website it said to solo using the Aeolian mode of the key (well it just said 'the minor' but the minor scale they had was the Aeolian mode).

So which one should i use?
In most cases, when a classical musician/composer says that a piece is in a minor key, they are referring to harmonic minor.

In genres of music outside of classical, it's normal for musicians to refer to natural minor as being THE minor key, even though lots of people make side trips through harmonic and melodic minor.
yeah if its classical, or like, coming from a prestigious player who went to college for music, its usually harmonic minor, as it was primarily used back in the day, however, specifically in guitar, i find that when you use the phrase minor, its aeolian
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by titopuente
In most cases, when a classical musician/composer says that a piece is in a minor key, they are referring to harmonic minor.

In genres of music outside of classical, it's normal for musicians to refer to natural minor as being THE minor key, even though lots of people make side trips through harmonic and melodic minor.

Yeah, I started playing piano years before playing guitar and all the scale exercises were either major, harmonic minor, melodic minor or chromatic, no natural minor. When I started playing guitar and was looking round for a good minor scale to use, natural minor didn't sound so natural to me. Harmonic and melodic minor sounded too classical so I used the dorian mode most of the time when I wanted a minor sound. When I finally got used to playing with natural minor scales more, my playing opened up A LOT!