So I switched from acoustic to electric just recently, and was really excited. Spent a lot of time researching and ended up with a beautiful Gibson Les Paul guitar and a Boss multi-effect pedal (after trying out a few). The amp wasn't that great however, so that too I replaced and got a Vox AD15VT-XL just now.

I seem to keep encountering disappointments because now there's this background noise when I turn on the amp.
And by turning it on, I mean just that, whether I have the guitar or Boss pedall plugged in or not. Whether the volume is completely down or not. Soft calm noise easily to be heard from up to 5 meters away, if not more. I've checked the noise reduction option and it does work....but it only has effect on effects/when I play something. The background noise stays untouched.

So what, is this normal then? So far my experience with the electric guitar has been utterly disappointing and I'm tempted to sell it all again, because if it actually takes thousands of dollars to have a normal clear tune then this just isn't for me. :\
My 15 XL does that too. If you can take the amp back and get a refund, you should. It's not going to be getting the best out of your guitar or playing at all.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
My amp was £180 and on the clean channel its fine, are you on a distortion or overdive or something? I wouldnt know about Vox AD15VT-XL, never used one.
Take everything back and spend more money on a quality amp and don't buy a multi effect pedal. You can get a guitar with the same quality as a Gibson for much less and use the extra money for a good amp. Spend maybe $800 on the amp. Look at Traynor YCV50 Blues. Sorry to say but a little more research would have probably told you to get a good amp before worrying about a $3000 guitar.
keep the Gibson, because it is a Gibson, and it rocks. get a refund for the amp or sell it, and maybe get a practice amp like a Roland Microcube, if you are not going to need a lot of power. or you could save up until you have enough to buy a really good amp.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Of course one of the sad truths about guitar amplifiers is that there will always be some degree of noise. Some are certainly quieter than others, but none of them are silent. Don't worry about a small amount of noise, but do try to invest in quality gear. If there's still enough noise to irritate you, then invest in some form of noise reduction.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Of course one of the sad truths about guitar amplifiers is that there will always be some degree of noise. Some are certainly quieter than others, but none of them are silent. Don't worry about a small amount of noise, but do try to invest in quality gear. If there's still enough noise to irritate you, then invest in some form of noise reduction.

What he said. Plus if you use alot of gain then it will be worse.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by chillrock
keep the Gibson, because it is a Gibson, and it rocks. get a refund for the amp or sell it, and maybe get a practice amp like a Roland Microcube, if you are not going to need a lot of power. or you could save up until you have enough to buy a really good amp.

congratulations. You win stupid statement of the day!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
congratulations. You win stupid statement of the day!

no, i think you do

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
It's normal. The reason for this is the more treble, mids and presence you put in, the more it amplifies white noise.

EDIT:
Quote by chillrock
keep the Gibson, because it is a Gibson

I call sig rights!
Quote by chillrock
keep the Gibson, because it is a Gibson

YE nD Gt A MG AzwLL Cz TheY iZ MRsHll Nd MrShLL IZ dA BEzT
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by CJRocker

EDIT:

I call sig rights!

aah, a little taste of fame......

no, really, im flattered

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Alright then. I'll return it, double, if not triple the amp-budget and buy a better one.

Keep in mind though, you've got to put things into perspective here. I don't intend to play at gigs or at ear-deafening volumes. I come from an acoustic guitar -- what else would you expect, you know? It's why I bought this supposedly quality amp for €180 in the first place. It's all I needed in theory. One which got great reviews here, acdcrocks0323, so it's not really my research capabilities which are in question either.

Either way, I appreciate all the replies so far and I'll buy something else, though it'll feel awkward to end up buying something which greatly surpasses my needs. We'll see.

CJRocker: maybe you didn't read my post, but...even with every knob and switch turned to zero or default(noise reduction setting to max however), with nothing else plugged into it, there still remains an annoying background noise. Let alone tinkering with settings.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Medifh

CJRocker: maybe you didn't read my post, but...even with every knob and switch turned to zero or default(noise reduction setting to max however), with nothing else plugged into it, there still remains an annoying background noise. Let alone tinkering with settings.

Misread it, sorry. Is it only on the gain channel? Higher gain solid states do tend to be noisy affairs if my spider is any indication.
Sorry about ripping on your research, it's just if you came on UG and asked around you could have gotten some insight besides reviews. Usually reviews are just done by people new to the guitar and think their new stuff is just the coolest stuff ever even if it isn't. The Vox XL series isn't that good, but the original ADVT series is really good for small modelling amps. Maybe try one of those out. You can get a number of small 5 watt tube amps with great sound quality for the same you paid for your current Vox XL amp. Give some of those a try like the Blackheart Little Giant and the Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Medifh
So I switched from acoustic to electric just recently, and was really excited. Spent a lot of time researching and ended up with a beautiful Gibson Les Paul guitar and a Boss multi-effect pedal (after trying out a few). The amp wasn't that great however, so that too I replaced and got a Vox AD15VT-XL just now.

I seem to keep encountering disappointments because now there's this background noise when I turn on the amp.
And by turning it on, I mean just that, whether I have the guitar or Boss pedall plugged in or not. Whether the volume is completely down or not. Soft calm noise easily to be heard from up to 5 meters away, if not more. I've checked the noise reduction option and it does work....but it only has effect on effects/when I play something. The background noise stays untouched.

So what, is this normal then? So far my experience with the electric guitar has been utterly disappointing and I'm tempted to sell it all again, because if it actually takes thousands of dollars to have a normal clear tune then this just isn't for me. :\

that noise isn't coming from the speaker. I think something inside the amp makes that noise, my AD50VT does it too. i think on Vox Valvetronix amps, its normal.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by chillrock
keep the Gibson, because it is a Gibson, and it rocks.

...What?!

that doesn't justify anything.

That's like saying, "keep a squier, because its a squire!" to anyone that doesnt know anything about guitars.
Quote by esp1234
...What?!

that doesn't justify anything.

That's like saying, "keep a squier, because its a squire!" to anyone that doesnt know anything about guitars.

Eh the guy owns a Gibson LP Standard but his amp is a Peavey VK, he probably doesn't know much about amps and tone.

TS, definitely take that stuff you got back and get yourself a nice tube combo and a different guitar. You can get a much nicer amp on your kind of budget, one that should fit a genre you like to play. You can get a guitar with Gibson quality for much less, too.

Edit: Don't get a multi-fx unit either.
You don't have to return your gear man... That's just the nature of amps.. Especially on gain settings, there's gonna be a little noise..

Unless it's really noticeable on the clean channel, I wouldn't waste my time returning anything. Just invest in a decent noise suppressor.

But then again, I don't know exactly how much noise you're getting, so it's up to you...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
What's wrong with my Boss ME-50?
I'm loving the effects and all the other things I can do with it!

Edit: Also, the post above and bellow this one are from people who didn't read my posts at all. >.<
Last edited by Medifh at Mar 25, 2008,
maybe is your cable
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Blompcube
that noise isn't coming from the speaker. I think something inside the amp makes that noise, my AD50VT does it too. i think on Vox Valvetronix amps, its normal.

Actually, I just plugged in the headphones and it stops the sound.
It definately comes from the speaker. Funny how turning down every little knob, whether its volume or gain has no effect on it. What a piece of ****. Remind me to take the user reviews on this site with a grain of salt next time, lol~

Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow when I get myself a better amp, hehe. <3

Reildeal/litus, read the friggin' thread.
Quote by Medifh
Actually, I just plugged in the headphones and it stops the sound.
It definately comes from the speaker. Funny how turning down every little knob, whether its volume or gain has no effect on it. What a piece of ****. Remind me to take the user reviews on this site with a grain of salt next time, lol~

Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow when I get myself a better amp, hehe. <3

Reildeal/litus, read the friggin' thread.

Sounds like a poorly insulated speaker cable. I would take it back and get something else.
Quote by kool98769
OOOOH
OOOOH

whats the matter? couldnt think of actual words for a comeback?

Quote by kool98769

and by the way, that guitar is not an official Gibson. will you believe something just because someone says that it is true?

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
You might be getting the hum from the wiring in your house. Try the amp in a different room and such. Oh, if you've got the distortion turned up really high, that'll probably be doing it. When I've got my Orange Rocker 30 distortion high with my Tele in, even with the sound turned down I get a hum.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
use your guitar bridge pick up and tone up i got a small cheap line 6 15w amp with a average guitar and it sounds good i'm sure its your amp
my equiptment
B.C rich platinum warlock
line 6 spider III 15w
epiphone sg special