I am used to .10s on my strat and les paul in standard tuning. Would .11s feel similar, if I tune my strat a 1/2 step down, to a set of .10s in standard? Or would I be better sticking with .10s?

Thanks
best way to find out is to try it out yourself...just get a set of cheap .011s and try it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
best way to find out is to try it out yourself...just get a set of cheap .011s and try it

Thats not a bad idea. I was just thinking of getting these 24k gold plated strings (so I dont want to be wasting my money)
Should feel just a little bit tighter than the 10's, but not much. Either way 10's should still be fine in D# standard, they generally don't get really loose until you at least get to D standard or below.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Should feel just a little bit tighter than the 10's, but not much. Either way 10's should still be fine in D# standard, they generally don't get really loose until you at least get to D standard or below.

Thanks. But, if i needed to, could I use .11s in standard? Or would there be a very noticable difference?
it is the general opinion that increasing gauge improves tone. you will also find that tuning is more stable, especially in lower tunings.

if you are going to try out heavier strings, dont get crap ones, because the sheer bad quality will put you off. get a decent set, or the most expensive set you can afford, and see how it goes.

i have no idea about the gold plated strings. sounds a bit poser-ish to me.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
11's work just fine in E standard (heck, I used to play 13's in E standard). The difference is indeed noticeable, but I've never seen it as a problem. If the guitar is set up really well, the string gauge is less of an issue.

You also have to consider the slight tonal difference that will be apparent. The 11's will be a bit thicker sounding but the 10's will have a bit more bite and be a little more twangy.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Gold strings look awesome, sound like butt

I play 10's in Eb standard and it feels fine. My buddy plays 11's in Eb standard. There's not an incredible amount of difference in tension, but you can feel it
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the 11s and if they don't suit me, move back to 10s.
Last edited by supergerbil at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by Johnonon
Gold strings look awesome, sound like butt

I play 10's in Eb standard and it feels fine. My buddy plays 11's in Eb standard. There's not an incredible amount of difference in tension, but you can feel it

Yeah I think they sound like crap too. I don't really like the look of them either. Plus they cost too much.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
On that note, can anyone recommend some good strings. On my les paul I use gibson strings, but I don't know what would be good on my strat. Just general strings.