I want to start recording riffs on my computer, but unfortunately, my RP250 has decided to terminally fail on me.

I was intending on getting an instrument mic to mic up my amps and try it in that fashion. I've got a mic in mind (unfortunately not an SM57) which is inexpensive, but I figure any instrument mic would be a heck of a lot better than my webcam mic.

My real question though is, can I attach the mic directly to the mic input of my computer? Or do I need to have some sort of interface device inbetween the mic and the computer. With the RP250, I was just using that directly with a USB connection, so there really wasn't any question on how to do things.

I'm really interested in using a mic for my amps as opposed to using other devices and amp modeling.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
your going to need a mixer or a soundcard for your computer that has an XLR input
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by htsktim91989
your going to need a mixer or a soundcard for your computer that has an XLR input

Well, attaching it to my computer is not an issue, because I have a mic cable that terminates into a 1/4" jack. Then I have an adapter for that, which makes it a 1/8" jack, which then fits perfectly into the mic input of my PC.

Would I still need some sort of interface in order for it to sound decent? I can understand the use of a mixer, but is it a necessity?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
A mixer will not directly connect to your computer without a lot of pain.

Get a cheap USB or Firewire interface.

Check out M-Audio or Presonus
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I suppose I should've also stated that I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible... I'm not looking for amazing, studio quality sound, but I do want something better than my webcam mic, or the vocal mic I tried to use (which wasn't much better sounding than the webcam mic).
Quote by Hakael
I suppose I should've also stated that I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible... I'm not looking for amazing, studio quality sound, but I do want something better than my webcam mic, or the vocal mic I tried to use (which wasn't much better sounding than the webcam mic).

Well, the thing is - if you're gonna connect it straight to the soundcard, the sound quality will be bad no matter what you do. You need some sort of an USB-interface I believe - some are pretty cheap, but I'm not sure how cheap.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Save yourself a load of money/effort and get either this, or this.

The SM57 may be a great dynamic for close-mic'd guitar, but it also requires a great preamp (and in your case interface) to get the most out of it.
So with an USB instrument mic, there would be no need for an interface? I apologize for all the questions, but I would figure, regardless of being USB or mic input, the sound card would still have to process it. Or am I missing something?
You won't need a preamp for a USB mic.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yes, that's a good idea. Didn't think of that.

Shows that I'm no expert tbh
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
LOL, np. That's why I'm asking.

Hmmm... so no need for a preamp with a USB mic...

Gonna do some checking around. I appreciate all the responses.
The two he posted are probably the better low cost USB mics you can get. personally, if i was in the same situation, I would go with the snowball.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.