Page 1 of 2
God damn it my drummer is so god damned loud.

He claims that he can't control his volume because they're drums...but I have my doubts about that (I'm no drummer but...).

A) Is it possible for drummers to control their volume?

B) Is it unreasonable of me to tell him to shut the hell up?

C) If it isn't, how do I go about telling him if he tries to refute the fact that he can control his volume?
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
i aint a drummer but im pretty sure he could jus hit them less hard lol

that was the trouble we had with our drummer but then we jus told him to quite down a bit an its allll gooood

A) Is it possible for drummers to control their volume? Yes. Through the size of the drums/cymbals, type of sticks, muffling(also includes type of heads and proper drum tuning) and attack(how he hits the drums)

B) Is it unreasonable of me to tell him to shut the hell up? No. All drummers need this. Even when they are not playing drums.

C) If it isn't, how do I go about telling him if he tries to refute the fact that he can control his volume? Tell him he is inexperienced.

Most likely, his drumset is too large for your rehearsal space AND he is playing too hard. Many drummers have a small drumset to play...well in small places.

Also, though it is expensive, the last resort(other then getting a new drummer) would be to look into "drum shields" - they are are basically a little foldable wall you put in front of the set that promotes dampening. Hope some of this helps.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by rotzak

A) Is it possible for drummers to control their volume? Yes. Through the size of the drums/cymbals, type of sticks, muffling(also includes type of heads and proper drum tuning) and attack(how he hits the drums)

B) Is it unreasonable of me to tell him to shut the hell up? No. All drummers need this. Even when they are not playing drums.

C) If it isn't, how do I go about telling him if he tries to refute the fact that he can control his volume? Tell him he is inexperienced.

Most likely, his drumset is too large for your rehearsal space AND he is playing too hard. Many drummers have a small drumset to play...well in small places.

Also, though it is expensive, the last resort(other then getting a new drummer) would be to look into "drum shields" - they are are basically a little foldable wall you put in front of the set that promotes dampening. Hope some of this helps.

Interesting suggestion with the shield. How do these work, exactly? Deflect sound back at him? Absorb sound? They don't look like they can absorb much sound...
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
Quote by KryptNet

Interesting suggestion with the shield. How do these work, exactly? Deflect sound back at him? Absorb sound? They don't look like they can absorb much sound...

They're expensive. But any object, even hanging a rug around your drummer with a clothesline, breaks up larger sound waves into smaller ones. Smaller waves travel less far. The effect is dampened sound.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
once i had some stuck up college b!tches living next door and my and my drummer were jamming out and one of them comes up and "hey can you turn your drumset down? its too loud"

we both burst out laughing like "WTFOMFG'TARD!!!!!! IT DOESN'T HAVE A VOLUME KNOB YOU C#NT!!!!"

seriously though, he can hit them less hard (we were rocking out, so not hitting hard wasn't an option)
My friend has the same problem in one of his bands, it's becoming a point of conflict. Of course he can hit them less hard.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Quote by z4twenny
once i had some stuck up college b!tches living next door and my and my drummer were jamming out and one of them comes up and "hey can you turn your drumset down? its too loud"

we both burst out laughing like "WTFOMFG'TARD!!!!!! IT DOESN'T HAVE A VOLUME KNOB YOU C#NT!!!!"

seriously though, he can hit them less hard (we were rocking out, so not hitting hard wasn't an option)
you should have told 'em "the volume is stuck on 11, suck my"...oh wait, this isn't the pit.

TS, it just occured to me that a while back this was a problem with a drummer with a HUGE double bass drum-rig. Brazilian metalhead drummer. We actually did a lot of searching and tried out like 3 different places to find a big-enough practice space.

So if it's an option. Look up you phonebook!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Just tell him not to hit the drum likes its a fucking carnival game, you know, the one where you have to hit the thing with a hammer to make the light go above a certain point. Thats how a drummer controls his volume. Not all is lost though, you can fix a loud drummer problem, at least he can keep time (im assuming).
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
TURN UR ****IN AMP LEVEL UP TO 10

but really
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
TURN UR ****IN AMP LEVEL UP TO 10

but really
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
The main problem I have with my drummer is him playing the whole time. I just tell him to shut up for a minute.

I know they make drum sticks that aren't as loud.

and Lol at thread title.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

I know they make drum sticks that aren't as loud.

jazz brushes aren't nearly as loud, but if you're doing rock the dynamics aren't gonna sound quite right.
I have this problem, too. Except we practice in a tiny soundproofed section of his garage, and his family provides free food for us, so I can't say shut the hell up. I just flip him off mostly. Anyway, our little room is like 6' by about 8', maybe 9' or 10'. This means we have to fit his like 10 or 11 piece kit in one corner, the bassist/guitarist, the other guitarist, myself, and our combo amps into that space. This also entails that we are directly in front of the kit. The reason it's so loud from the drums is that since (for this example I'm using a bass drum/kick drum) the pedal hits it from the one side, the vibrations/sound waves thus travel in that direction, at you, if you stand in front of it. The snares and stuff are just universally loud.

Now, that being said, it is MUCH quieter behind the kit. It's a little loud, but to relate to guitar it's like standing right in front of a decent practice amp. Not too loud, but you can hear it perfectly. Yes, you can control the volumeof drums, either by changing the strength of the attack, the sticks (think those whisk-looking things), and, as others have already said, dampeners/pads.

If he doesn't change, it is reasonable to tell him to stop, but only if it is really interfering with your music. You don't want to go all Scott Weiland on him, do you? But do this only when you want to take a brake or tell him to do something "better."

If he says he is controlling his volume but is clearly not putting in any effort, let him have it. Don't explode, but tell him he better ****ing work on it. Be stern is what I mean. If he is putting in effort, but there isn't a huge change, it's ok. You know he cares enough to try.

Good luck, too.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by z4twenny
jazz brushes aren't nearly as loud, but if you're doing rock the dynamics aren't gonna sound quite right.

Yeah, for just practice, brushes would prolly be your best bet.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by element4433
The main problem I have with my drummer is him playing the whole time.

+1,000,000.456

It's like drummers think the rest of the band doesn't deserve the right to conversation
Just fill his shells with towels or get him to pad his skins.

You think you've got problems.
Our drummer's got a Staccato kit, all the shells are flouted upwards and outwards, you can just see them in this pic.

and the sound from them is ridiculously loud, and we insist he uses his other kit, which is a fairly standard Yamaha fusion kit, for rehearsals.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 26, 2008,
Quote by rotzak
Dummers!
Did you misspell that on purpose? You meanie!

Quote by rotzak
God damn it my drummer is so god damned loud.
Yeah I hate it when that happens!

Quote by rotzak
He claims that he can't control his volume because they're drums...but I have my doubts about that (I'm no drummer but...).
Hang on to your doubt, my friend. Your drummer is bullshitting you.

Quote by rotzak
A) Is it possible for drummers to control their volume?
Of course it's possible. It takes MORE skill and technique to play quietly, than it does to sledgehammer. But a good drummer can master that, and has the good sense to play at the proper volume and keep plenty in reserve so when he DOES play certain parts loud, it rocks the house.

Quote by rotzak
B) Is it unreasonable of me to tell him to shut the hell up?
Fuck yes it's unreasonable!
What kind of rotten prick are you, to even think of talking to someone that way?

Quote by rotzak
C) If it isn't, how do I go about telling him if he tries to refute the fact that he can control his volume?
No excuses! Learn to play at ALL volumes, and fit into what is appropriate for the song or particular part of the song.

... or expect to be replaced.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by z4twenny
I wasn't talking about brushes, I was talking about an actual drum stick.

I can't remember what they are called and it's driving me crazy.

elemedit:Awwww here they are. I've never used them but I think they'd get the job done.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vater-Whip?sku=443690

Here's the same thing but with a wooden handle

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vater-Wood-Handle-Whip?sku=443691
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Mar 26, 2008,
yes, drummers can control their volume, but don't expect miracles. he is always going to be loud.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
As a professional drummer for almost 35 years now there is nothing worse than having to lay back on the drums. If it truly is a problem then chip in and buy a deflection screen. They work great just make sure to get him a good monitor mix because he will have a harder time hearing the amps and vocals. I have played guitar for a number of years also and if I had a guitar player piping up like you. You would be getting hit in the back of the head a few times withy some errent sticks.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Time Seller
You said Dummer, not Drummer. Oh well, not much difference there.

Lets see you play your guitar with both arms and both legs. Not
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Lets see you play your guitar with both arms and both legs. Not

Yeah, and I bet he can't hang by his toes like most drummers can either.

We've just given our drummer a wage rise, now he gets two bananas and a packet of peanuts per gig.
Your drummer is retarded :P. Yeah, I play drums, and you CAN control your volume to a certain degree. The higher your sticks are, the louder it is gonna be when it comes down on the drums, so he just needs to play with his sticks closer to the drums. If you need him to play a lot quieter, he should just go out and buy brushes.
Quote by Another bassist
Your drummer is retarded :P. Yeah, I play drums, and you CAN control your volume to a certain degree. The higher your sticks are, the louder it is gonna be when it comes down on the drums, so he just needs to play with his sticks closer to the drums. If you need him to play a lot quieter, he should just go out and buy brushes.

If you were a good drummer you would call your self a percussionist
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Drummers always get bad reps but where would any of you be if you didn't have a drummer.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Last edited by modernp at Mar 27, 2008,
Quote by modernp
Drummers always get bad reps but where would any of you be if you didn't have a drummer.

Well I wouldn't have this broken nose and a drug habit for a start.
Get Jazz Brushes and tape them up with Gaffa tape so all the brushy bits point up and form a stick. Its effectively a lighter stick with less power. Our drummer uses them and levels are fine for a small gig/rehearsals.
im a drummer.

yes you can control how loud you are on a drumkit.

tell him to stop hitting them so hard or you'll throw a drumstick at him.

seriously they hurt so much, the other week my m8 had a drumstick wif him, and i said 'oi, chuck me the stick' and he threw it, > my hands missed > my eye didnt tho...
my drummer uses a full timpani set in addition to normal drums, just turn your guitar up and stop bitching.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
my drummer uses a full timpani set in addition to normal drums, just turn your guitar up and stop bitching.

Invest in some earplugs as well then.
The softest of blankets is six feet of soil.

Upcoming Shows:
Sasquatch! Festival - May 2013
Quote by FuzzyBear
what do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

a gay drummer lolollollollolollol

/thread
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Page 1 of 2