I became interested in guitar in about 3rd grade, got my first guitar in 6th. I'm currently a senior in HS, and currently own a Martin DXM, but here's the thing

I feel I've made progress from when I started to my first few chords. But that's about it. I feel I've been repeating myself, trying to write my own songs on 3 basic chords (from good riddence) since they were my first chords ever learned.

I've taken lessons, but it really doesn't help. I learn it, then forget it 2 days later. Also the teacher doesn't listen to the music I like (Hardcore..yeah i know)

My question is, has anyone else ever been stuck in this loop? becuase it seems I'm getting nowhere with my playing.

I've had numerous offers to play as fill-ins for my friends band, but I refuse, and never tell them that I'm too "noobish" and I don't feel I'm ready, since they know I've been playing for 6+ years.

I know some people are going to say "practice practice practice". My guitar is in my hand for about 2-3 hours a day, I try to learn different songs I like but that takes too much patience.

Please help!
Um you pretty much pointed out what your problem is in the last sentence. Don't expect things that are impressive to be easy to learn, get some patience! 2-3 hours a day of just fiddling around with stuff you already are totally comfortable with will not help you nearly as much as 30 minutes a day of concentrated struggling with new material (of course it is good to review old things, but it shouldn't be the majority of your practice time). Find a song you think is really cool even if it sounds difficult and just work at it until you figure it out. If you find yourself stuck, maybe ask a friend if he can help you out. Sounds like you expect to be good at guitar because you've played for a long time, but unless you keep pushing yourself you won't make progress.

I often fall into the trap of just practicing stuff I already know well, because it's more fun and already sounds good. In those cases I consciously make myself try something totally new and usually it helps me progress.
Quote by LoneWanderer13
Um you pretty much pointed out what your problem is in the last sentence. Don't expect things that are impressive to be easy to learn, get some patience! 2-3 hours a day of just fiddling around with stuff you already are totally comfortable with will not help you nearly as much as 30 minutes a day of concentrated struggling with new material (of course it is good to review old things, but it shouldn't be the majority of your practice time). Find a song you think is really cool even if it sounds difficult and just work at it until you figure it out. If you find yourself stuck, maybe ask a friend if he can help you out. Sounds like you expect to be good at guitar because you've played for a long time, but unless you keep pushing yourself you won't make progress.

I often fall into the trap of just practicing stuff I already know well, because it's more fun and already sounds good. In those cases I consciously make myself try something totally new and usually it helps me progress.

You have a good point. I do sometimes tend to think because all my brothers and my father played guitar, it will just come naturally. Because I'm cocky and arrogant(only about guitar) But heres the thing. I want to get into writing my own stuff mostly. Yeah learning songs is impressive. but I'd rather write something that nobody knows, and will impress them. Or will that come from taking bits of pieces of songs and putting them into my own?
Or... get guitar pro. I would get bored easily as well. Guitar pro makes it pretty fun to learn songs to me, since you can play to drums and all. Plus its a bit easier I think.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
For making your own songs...really the best thing is to just jump into it and do it. Try to write a lot and keep having ideas flow rather than focusing on reediting and perfecting old songs (though, if you feel that desire go for it...just don't let it get in the way of keeping the flow of ideas). Fiddle around with chord progressions and just try to come up with interesting melody lines that go over it. Of course, learning some theory will help you know what chords will sound good, but even with a good understanding of theory you just want to fiddle around with the options and see what sounds good to you. There's no set way to go about writing songs so try all of them and see what works for you (e.g. writing the words first, coming up with a title before you even come up with a melody, coming up with the guitar part first, coming up with the hook first etc.).

Don't be afraid to imitate, but if you borrow a progression or a little snip it, try to fiddle with it enough that it doesn't obviously resemble what you got it from.
Quote by LoneWanderer13
. Sounds like you expect to be good at guitar because you've played for a long time, but unless you keep pushing yourself you won't make progress.

i can't possibly give enough + points to this statement. if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

you gotta do new and different things and often start painfully slow to a degree that makes you feel like a 'tard. i've been playing for 12 years, never swept. now i'm teaching myself to sweep and guess what, i HATE it 'cuz everytime i go to practice it i have to go ridiculously slow like i'm some idiot mongoloid, but guess what. it reminds me that theres always something new to work on and is really humbling and reminds me that as good as i am, im not as good as i could be.

next time you get cocky watch something like a live version of 'the glass prison' the solos are insane. really just watch anything that you couldn't possibly do. i have a friend who plays bass and watches vic wooten to remind himself where he needs to be.
Quote by Pulsate
I became interested in guitar in about 3rd grade, got my first guitar in 6th. I'm currently a senior in HS, and currently own a Martin DXM, but here's the thing

I feel I've made progress from when I started to my first few chords. But that's about it. I feel I've been repeating myself, trying to write my own songs on 3 basic chords (from good riddence) since they were my first chords ever learned.

I've taken lessons, but it really doesn't help. I learn it, then forget it 2 days later. Also the teacher doesn't listen to the music I like (Hardcore..yeah i know)

My question is, has anyone else ever been stuck in this loop? becuase it seems I'm getting nowhere with my playing.

I've had numerous offers to play as fill-ins for my friends band, but I refuse, and never tell them that I'm too "noobish" and I don't feel I'm ready, since they know I've been playing for 6+ years.

I know some people are going to say "practice practice practice". My guitar is in my hand for about 2-3 hours a day, I try to learn different songs I like but that takes too much patience.

Please help!

If you don't have patience, you have to learn that first. Nothing will make you better automatically. Also, I suggest you open your mind. Just listening to hardcore and punk won't get you any better. Its also very unfortunate that you did not practice the things your teacher made you learn, he probably knows what he is doing way more than you do. I suggest you get a teacher, preferably with the same interests as you, and actually learn what he teaches you.
Yeah, I have been quite a bit

Try listening to music you wouldn't usually listen to but isn't completely out of your genre. Keep a list of the tabs and sheet music and songs you're working on, too.
In U.S. of A, democracy rule you !!!

Equipment:
Fender Stratocaster (Deep Blue)
Peavey VTX Classic
Ibanez GBS Electric (Candy Red)
Arion Chorus Effects Pedal

Saving for:
Epiphone Les Paul
i think exposing yourself to different genres does alot of good. not necissarily just guitar music, but any kind of music because anything you hear can in theory be immitated on your guitar. the variety of your influences = the variety of your skills. if you just listen to punk and stuff you will be good at punk but i imagine that gets boring.
A fool is not one who makes a mistake, a fool is one who does not learn from it.
-me HAH!
Quote by Takendergib
i think exposing yourself to different genres does alot of good. not necissarily just guitar music, but any kind of music because anything you hear can in theory be immitated on your guitar. the variety of your influences = the variety of your skills. if you just listen to punk and stuff you will be good at punk but i imagine that gets boring.

some of the solos in hardcore, metalcore are pretty good. But I've been trying to open my options, listening to Eric Clapton, anything acoustic. since all the metalcore bands SUCK starting out, I'll stick with getting into a new age rock and roll band.

Thank you to all your options, even though they may seem harsh, I can take it.