I became interested in guitar in about 3rd grade, got my first guitar in 6th. I'm currently a senior in HS, and currently own a Martin DXM, but here's the thing

I feel I've made progress from when I started to my first few chords. But that's about it. I feel I've been repeating myself, trying to write my own songs on 3 basic chords (from good riddence) since they were my first chords ever learned.

I've taken lessons, but it really doesn't help. I learn it, then forget it 2 days later. Also the teacher doesn't listen to the music I like (Hardcore..yeah i know)

My question is, has anyone else ever been stuck in this loop? becuase it seems I'm getting nowhere with my playing.

I've had numerous offers to play as fill-ins for my friends band, but I refuse, and never tell them that I'm too "noobish" and I don't feel I'm ready, since they know I've been playing for 6+ years.

I know some people are going to say "practice practice practice". My guitar is in my hand for about 2-3 hours a day, I try to learn different songs I like but that takes too much patience.

Please help!
Don't worry too much about not being ready and just join a band. If you aren't ready by the time you join one then you'll have plenty of motivation to become ready very quickly. Seriously, you have nothing to loose.
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
if you are practicing for 3 hours per day, you should have a lot of ideas. maybe learn some scales or some new songs? or try to write your own stuff and leave other bands' material for another time.

a key element to coming up with ideas is o be confident in your own playing, so just pick up your guitar and play the first thing that comes to mind. i find that listening to my favourite bands helps, as i am influenced by them, and over time you shake off the style of one particular band and your playing develops on its own.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
If you want to play hardcore the first thing you need to learn is how to tune your guitar to Drop D. Then learn how to play power chords. And make sure you can palm mute your guitar whenever needed. You should be able to play rhythm in a hardcore band with just that and whatever your lead guitarist shows you. A lot of hardcore is very simple, and since youre still in high school no one expects you to sound like Between The Buried And Me. "No Donnie, These Men Are Nihilists" by Evergreen Terrace was the first hardcore song I learned how to play all the way through. That song will teach you all the basics.
yeah, for hardcore, use drop d or drop c

and i know what you mean. it seems as if nothing is helping you out, i had that happen to me too. but to help you out, start playing in drop c/d, study tabs a bit more, practice hammer-ons, taps, palm mutes, etc. try to do everything you can. start focusing on a certain bands' style of playing. that helps me with ideas. and then once you getter better at all of that, start out writing simple riffs and stuff. thats what i did, and now i dont really have a problem with running out of ideas. oh yea, and it takes patience, but you really have to practice A LOT
you could maybe get a teacher to help you - if you explain to him/her what your problem is then he/she should be able to point you in the right direction.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Try different stuff, I always feel if im stuck in a rut trying different styles helps, from rock to country uno just play a few songs you usually wouldnt bother with..
play in differten tunings to get a favorite one like 2 steps down 1 step down drop c drop D etc and practice scales alot to get good fingerstrengt and speed etc practicehammers on pull of etc legato and learn all in alternate pickng (that wil help later to sound better and play faster)
my equiptment
B.C rich platinum warlock
line 6 spider III 15w
epiphone sg special
Hey Pulsate. Here are my thoughts on your situation. First off let me start out by saying that many players have fallen into the loop you are referring to at some point in time in their playing. In fact, from what I've seen and understood basically every player has run into this stage at some point in time.

I see that you feel you have had some lesser progress with lesson, but I still feel that having a more formal teacher is still the way to go. Finding a teacher that is very interested in your goals and helping you achieve them will move your progress at a pace that is virtually impossible to achieve as with something such as trying self-teaching. It should not matter whether you play Hardcore, Pop, Indie, etc. All that matters is that the teacher is a really high quality teacher whom wants to help get you to where you want YOU to be, and that in return you bust tail to achieve these things.

As far as filling in for the bands you mentioned, I think that these could be great opportunities for you. Willing these experiences are unpredictable sometimes in their outcome, whether that be amazing or lackluster sometimes, then so what? At least you broadening your experience and exposure to the field of performance. If people do end up being negative about you or call you "noobish" or whatever, who cares. Screw these people. Odds are they have no clue about the field or even as to what the hell is going on anyway. Worse yet they are surely often jealous.

I understand what you mean by people saying practice, practice, practice. This is very annoying to me as well. What they should say is "practice in very structured, effective manner as to increase focus and progress for one's technique and playing abilities." Patience is very big though. I admit that I have gotten frustrated at times while learning and in fact still do to this very day. You must stay focused on the end result and all of the awesome things and rewards you will have once you get to where it is that you want to be as a player.

Stay focused and stay positive. Do not let anyone or anything else defer you from what it is that YOU want to achieve. Stick with it man and best of luck to your future growth as a musician!!

Chris