I am getting a new guitar to replace my crappy starter pack Ibanez but all the guitars a I am interested in have Jumbo or Extra-Jumbo frets.

I have heard some people say that they had to re-learn everything when swithching from medium to jumbo frets. Does it really make that much of a difference?
Quote by St.Loony
I went doctors to see if I had AIDs. Apparently all I have is this thing called hiv... So nothing to worry about
I find jumbo to be to large.

I have an Ibanez RG with jumbo, and a Carvin with Medium-Jumbo, and I
find the later more comfortable.
Because jumbo/XJ frets are higher and wider, you may have to get accustomed to using less force when fretting notes, just to avoid pulling the note sharp. That shouldn't be a major issue, though - I went from medium (maybe medium-jumbo? not sure) frets on my old Squier Bullet to jumbo frets on my two current guitars, and didn't notice much of a difference after the first day or two.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Mar 25, 2008,
I'm used to XJjumbo frets and when playing on a guitar with medium frets I definatly notice a difference and my playing will be less good. Just try out the guitars you might wanna buy.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
A lot of it has to do with touching the fretboard. Some people depend on a certain degree of tactile sensation when touching the fretboard and going to different frets throws their whole system out of whack.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
It never effects me after I'm playing the guitar for a few minutes.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
No. I had a Starter Fender Strat Squire and it had medium frets. I got a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra this past Christmas and it has Jumbo-frets. You do not have to relearn anything. Its actually funer to have Jumbo-frets because you can make higher pitch sounds.
Quote by Zephyr77
I find jumbo to be to large.

I have an Ibanez RG with jumbo, and a Carvin with Medium-Jumbo, and I
find the later more comfortable.

No, really? Jumbo=large. I don't mean to be a smartass, but it's necessary here. Anyway TS, to figure out the difference, play a gibson/epiphone next to a Fender at a music store, as that's the easiest way to tell the difference.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if your planning on getting a guitar with frets bigger than you currently own test it out to see if they feel good
if they don't it's not like your obligated to buy the guitar
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper