Ok, I currently use a Digitech Death Metal pedal for my signature distortion sound where ever I go simply because it's easier than fiddling with amp dials for half an hour before I even practise.

Problem is though, the Death Metal has no Gain dial and my guitar (Ibanez RG370DXL) has no volume dial (2 tone dials) so whenever I turn it on I get an explosion of feedback in my face.

The pedal, now I realise it, has terrible tones anyway so I'm considering getting a new distortion pedal.

To give you guys some help on the kind of thing I'm looking for, I want extreme distortion for drop D bar chords and killer solos.

I listen to alot of Machine Head, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Linkin Park, and Korn. I'd love to get a sound similar to Korn for chords etc. and Machine Head for solos (obviously). What does everyone think I should get?

Andrew
Your guitar has two tone controls? Did you mod it I take it? Going without a volume is a REALLY bad idea unless you have a killswitch.

Anyway, what is your amp? My impulse is to advise an AMT Extreme III, or if you like a more scooped sound, an AMT Du Hast. Eh Metal Muffs and Boss Metal Zones are pedals to consider too, but they may bit kind of fizzy sounding. there is also the boss Metal Core, which while it is a scooped sounding pedal, it may work well for what you want.
Quote by CJRocker
Your guitar has two tone controls? Did you mod it I take it? Going without a volume is a REALLY bad idea unless you have a killswitch.

actually, its still a really bad idea even if you have a killswitch.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
i didnt even know rg370s could come without volume knobs

anyways check out the ld1 landmine or some pre amps like the damage control womanizer, or radial plexi

what about a saving for a new amp?
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
^no.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Are you sure your guitar doesn't have a volume knob?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My metal core pedal sounds pretty good through my valve junior but I don't record or gig with it so it works pretty good. For a machine head lead tone phil demmel uses a bit of chorus and delay through the fx loop of a 5150 to get his sound so you are gonna need a decent distortion pedal and some chorus/delay to get that kinda vibe though it wont be exactly like his. My line 6 dl4 has a delay setting with some modulation in it that might work well for what you need. Either way for what it will cost towards pedals like that you're better off taking that money and your half way towards a used 5150 combo or something.
Metal Muff.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Metal Muff.

I second that notion
Quote by Glimsom
Well, there was that horrible accident with Metallica, where the entire band had their Metal amputated. =P
Ok, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definate my RG has 2 tone dials and nothing else. Bridge tone and Neck tone. Normally for volume adjustments I use the expression pedal on my Boss Me-50.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Ok, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definate my RG has 2 tone dials and nothing else. Bridge tone and Neck tone. Normally for volume adjustments I use the expression pedal on my Boss Me-50.

...you have an ME-50 and you want another distortion, and you wired your RG with two tone dials? Are you sure you know what you're doing? also, you never answered me when I asked what your amp was.
If it's a stock RG then it has a volume and tone, end of.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I normally use a Peavey Envoy, and I swear I bought the RG last summer from www.gak.co.uk and it has 2 tone dials. Maybe it's different in America or wherever you people are from but I SWEAR it has no volume dial. I've done nothing to the wiring of it.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
I normally use a Peavey Envoy, and I swear I bought the RG last summer from www.gak.co.uk and it has 2 tone dials. Maybe it's different in America or wherever you people are from but I SWEAR it has no volume dial. I've done nothing to the wiring of it.

There is no way in hell unless Ibanez has no clue to how to wire a guitar. Next, why do you want another Distortion pedal? That ME50 has everything you could possibly need on the effects side of things.
Honestly, your guitar has a volume knob, it's the one nearest the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I dunno what the **** happened to my guitar then. I'll have to upload a youtube video or something some time and prove they're both tone. But I found with the ME-50's extreme distortions you need to turn the threshold up to maximum to get rid of the ridiculous feedback. And when I do that, I can't hear my pinch harmonics etc. trust me, it's just simpler if I use a different distortion pedal.
The best thing for you to do is ditch the FX board and your MG and get a proper amp, the ME50 is good but you're not going to get anything useable out of it through an MG - an FX unit is only as good as your amp currently you're getting no benefit whatsoever from the power of the ME50.

No amount of pedals is going to rescue your sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Have any of you actually ever played a rg370dxL? I know Steven Seagull you have a 350, but that might be the difference between the 350 and the 370. And maybe it's been screwed up because it's left handed. I mean, I first started out with a Crafter Cruiser and the dials were from right handed guitars so they were backwards.
Quote by CJRocker
That ME50 has everything you could possibly need on the effects side of things.

At first, I was like -.- but then, I lolled.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by steven seagull
The best thing for you to do is ditch the FX board and your MG and get a proper amp, the ME50 is good but you're not going to get anything useable out of it through an MG - an FX unit is only as good as your amp currently you're getting no benefit whatsoever from the power of the ME50.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QvfL49E3e6g

It IS possible to get a usable sound out of an MG! With an X2N no less.
Yeah, so he is using a really good distortion pedal, but still.

But.. I do agree with Steven up here in that you need to get a better amp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Boss MT-2 metal zone, this pedal can produce some insane crunch and pinch harmonics
i spent a while looking at distortion pedals.
i tried out most of the popular ones for metal.

i found that the metalzone got too much of a tinny sound, not enough punch if you know what i mean. it did have some good tones out of it with abit of playin around. i would put it as my second choice

the digitech death metal i wont talk about cuz you have one.

the metal muff had pretty good mids and highs but i found it lacked in the low department
and the top boots just made me want to rip out my ear drums, then again i don't think its made for playing alone its for cutting through the mix during solos.

the metalcore is what i ended up buying. i plugged it in and just loved the deep low end punch that came out of it. like someone else said it does have a very scooped sound to it but if you lighten up on the lows and play with you amp eq you can get some pretty nice mid stuff out of it.

the metalcore also has a level control which would help you out with your freak no volume guitar.

oh and i tried all of these out on mid range solid state practice amps and with entry level guitars (low end ibanez's other than the gios, stuff like that)
I think a properly modded Metal Zone would rock. I know alot of people who pick up MT2's really cheap off of ebay (since everyone hates them), and mod them, then make a fair profit. I actually played a modded one, and it sounded pretty good for a transistor disto.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Line 6 makes a distortion pedal called the ToneCore Uber Metal, I have it and it's awesome. There is even a built in noise gate so if you have or are worried about feedback it'll fix that.
Quote by Walternativo
At first, I was like -.- but then, I lolled.

You're aware its basically a Boss GT8 but without the amp and cab simulation right?
Quote by steven seagull

i love how he avoided the amp question 3 times
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Have any of you actually ever played a rg370dxL? I know Steven Seagull you have a 350, but that might be the difference between the 350 and the 370. And maybe it's been screwed up because it's left handed. I mean, I first started out with a Crafter Cruiser and the dials were from right handed guitars so they were backwards.

Actually I have a RG550

Honestly, if its not modded then you either have a volume control or your guitar is broken.

And youre looking in the wrong place to sort your sound out, the amp is the entire problem here, youve got more than enough distortion options with your ME50. Dont waste any more money on pedals, just save up for a better amp, and no, the Peavey Envoy is not particularly good.

*apologies for the lack of apostrophes...my kb is playing up!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc