The hot girls have no use in this thread, I just like hot girls.

Here's the thing: I want to learn piano. Got it so far? The problem is I don't have a piano to practice on, only a shitty old keyboard with roughly the same range as a guitar. Many people have told me you need to have a piano to practice on to learn piano, but will this keyboard suffice? Do I need a piano to practice on at all?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
You need a piano, trust me.

Unless you're keyboard has good range.

Get a new keyboard.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
why not?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
no. you dont really need a piano to learn how to play piano. you do need beginner books that will probably make you feel stupid teaching you C, D, E. and then after you work through those you can move on to chords and such.
Quote by JamesDouglas

Here's the thing: I want to learn piano. Got it so far? The problem is I don't have a piano to practice on, only a ****ty old keyboard with roughly the same range as a guitar. Many people have told me you need to have a piano to practice on to learn piano, but will this keyboard suffice? Do I need a piano to practice on at all?

I'm sorry, i lost it on this part.

Seriously, though, i always thought they were exactly the same, except for keyboards can make more than one sound.
you don't need a real piano, but you do need an 88 key velocity sensitive keyboard with weighted keys. and a set of pedals for it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
You need a piano, trust me.

Unless you're keyboard has good range.

Get a new keyboard.

Should the keys be weighted? Because that is far more expensive. So would normal large range keyboard be fine?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas

you called?
Quote by JamesDouglas
Should the keys be weighted? Because that is far more expensive. So would normal large range keyboard be fine?

im telling you unless your gonna take this really really seriously and plan to play keyboard long term, spending hundreds and hundreds, possibly thousands on a weighted key keyboard is a waste of time. anything will do to learn the basic notes and chords. im telling you, ive been playing for 8 years.
I think you will be ok at least for a while on it. I took piano for 8 years, and I only rarely needed a complete full range on an actual piano. You will be able to learn more than you actually think you can on something pretty small like that.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (bright yellow finish)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Crate XT15R
Fender Rumble 60
Pod X3 Live
Boss NS-1 Noisegate
Quote by JamesDouglas

they need to be weighted and velocity sensitive. or else you will probably sound like ass when playing a real piano, you also need a set of MIDI pedals.

Last.fm
Quote by JamesDouglas

I would say just get something which has a good range to practice on then when you get better, buy a better keyboard/piano.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they need to be weighted and velocity sensitive. or else you will probably sound like ass when playing a real piano, you also need a set of MIDI pedals.

are you honestly telling a guy who has never played before to go out and buy an entire MIDI setup with software and pedals and spent well over a grand to learn an instrument? did you start playing guitar on a 2000 dollar instrument?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Yeah, pedals are a ***** too. As for velocity sensitive I can't imagine it being that big an adjustment when playing a real piano, unless you're a moron.

EDIT: I have played before. I can play chords and a few simple melodies. I suck - but I'm not a complete n00b.
Does the keyboard in question have wieghted keys? If not, I wouldn't recommend starting to learn until you can get access to a keyboard with wieghted keys.

The reason being when you do eventually get access to a piano, it will take almost as much time to adjust to having to press down lightly for soft notes and harder for strong notes than it would starting to learn on a normal keyboard.

If you think you can handle it, then go ahead, but I'd really recommend at least wieghted keys above everything else. Don't even get me started on sustain pedals..
Quote by alaub1491
are you honestly telling a guy who has never played before to go out and buy an entire MIDI setup with software and pedals and spent well over a grand to learn an instrument? did you start playing guitar on a 2000 dollar instrument?

well the pedals are cheap, and you do need to learn how to work them before too long. I never said anything about software, most decent electric pianos have that built in. And I would say the weighted keys are unnecessary for developing touch, and getting used to playing the real thing, really if you look hard this sort of set up shouldn't cost more than like $600

Quote by JamesDouglas
Yeah, pedals are a ***** too. As for velocity sensitive I can't imagine it being that big an adjustment when playing a real piano, unless you're a moron.

If you learn on non-weighted, non-velocity sensitive keys, it's a real bitch to switch over, I know this from experience.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 25, 2008,
despite weighted keys etc being the ideal case, I would say learning on a basic keyboard is fine to get the general principles and theory down, and if you continue then you can always upgrade in future - Thats what i did, although i ended up not progressing with piano/keyboard and switching to guitar instead. I had no problems playing on a piano though, just took a little while to get used to but once ur used to it its fine imo
Quote by OrangePossum

you called?

bwahahahahahaha
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
you dont need 88 keys to start playing. extremely rarely do i use the bottom and top few octaves. almost all songs are played in the 61 key piano. your keyboard is probably a 61. if its less than that, i would get something new, but spending thousands on a professional weighted 88 key keyboard is nuts. but if your rich, go for it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well the pedals are cheap, and you do need to learn how to work them before too long. I never said anything about software, most decent electric pianos have that built in. And I would say the weighted keys are unnecessary for developing touch, and getting used to playing the real thing, really if you look hard this sort of set up shouldn't cost more than like $600

I could probably buy a second hand piano for that much :/
You don't NEED a good piano/keyboard. If you like it and still play in a couple of months, then upgrade. In the mean time, whatever you have will suffice. Think of it in terms of guitar. When you first started you probably used a reletively cheap guitar and tiny little amp. Then after awhile you upgrade, right?
Quote by JamesDouglas
I could probably buy a second hand piano for that much :/

you can usually find a second hand piano even cheaper if you look hard enough, a lot of people have one laying around and then get rid of it when they move or something. I got mine for free like this.

Last.fm
i doubt you could find all that stuff for 600. keyboard is my primary instrument. i play it in three bands. i have an m-audio keystation pro. that cost me 500 and its only semi weighted. additionally its only a midi board so you need software like reason or logic to run it and then speakers or a soundsystem to play it through. thats taken me a long ass time to get all that stuff.

im sure you could probably find a concert keyboard with just like organ and piano sounds for somewhere around 6-800 dollars but are you serious about playing? cuz most people can learn on a small 61 key with velocity sensitivity (meaning the notes get louder as you push harder)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well I got all of my stuff used, which is what i recommend.

good point. to the TS, ive said my bit, i hope you make a good choice and dont spend to much money on stuff. if you ever need help with any thing piano of keyboard related, feel free to PM me.
what kind of music do you want to play?
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
how many octaves, if over 5 you can learn.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.