Where you put cabs out on my amp it says "Min. Load: 8 ohms".
So does that mean I can put higher ohm cabs out of it since is says minimum load?
Yes, the minimum load the amp puts out is 8 ohms. You can plug it into a cabinet with a higher load, most amps will tolerate that, but to be safe, I'd just keep it matched up with an 8 ohm cabinet.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Probably. What type of amp is it? Solid state amps can usually handle a good bit more than their minimum rating, the trade off being output. With tube amps you really shouldn't mismatch at all if you can help it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
No. You can't. If it's a tube you can't at least. Tube amps will tolerate lower than their ohmage rating, Solid State will tolerate higher.

Here is proof.
Quote by Kendall
Probably. What type of amp is it? Solid state amps can usually handle a good bit more than their minimum rating, the trade off being output. With tube amps you really shouldn't mismatch at all if you can help it.

It's a "hybrid" so it's just one preamp tube. So the output is all solid state as far as I know. So I could put in bigger ohm cabs?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
No. You can't. If it's a tube you can't at least. Tube amps will tolerate lower than their ohmage rating, Solid State will tolerate higher.

You might be mixed up. If you plug a valve amp into a lower impedance than it puts out, you can blow the output transformer, if not the whole amp.

Solid state amps will take a lot of abuse and impedance mismatching before they give, but valve amps won't.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
You might be mixed up. If you plug a valve amp into a lower impedance than it puts out, you can blow the output transformer, if not the whole amp.

Solid state amps will take a lot of abuse and impedance mismatching before they give, but valve amps won't.

Tell that to my 16 Ohm Valveking running an 8Ohm speaker. I included a link as proof. Also I got an e-mail from Peavey supporting this.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Tell that to my 16 Ohm Valveking running an 8Ohm speaker. I included a link as proof. Also I got an e-mail from Peavey supporting this.

Your Valveking must be exceptionally tough, then. The only other amp I've seen tolerate impedance mismatches and keep going is my teacher's old '70's Marshall Superbass.

Even if an amp can handle the mismatch, I still wouldn't recommend it.
Now it's 1984
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
All it does is wear power tubes, it's the OTHER way that puts strain on the transformer.

This man speaks the truth. Mismatching a tube amp is never good, but mismatching down will just eat up tube life.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM