Sometimes there are guitars I want to buy, but I am turned off due to the fact that they have painted necks. Whenever I think of a guitar with a painted neck, I just think how sticky and crappy the neck must feel.

My question is: Is there anything you can buy and maybe apply to the neck or something that will give it a smoother less painted feel?

Also, do not all painted necks feel sticky like what I am describing?
The shouldn't feel sticky as they are mostly if not always coated with a transparent paint.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
my sg's neck is painted white
feels great
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
The only way it could become a nuisance, to me anyway, is if you had the whole palm of your hand on the neck, which shouldn't really happen. The feel of a painted neck is still smooth.

As a solution, you could sand off the paint on the neck and oil it (if you are the sweaty type) or just leave it. The only problem is if you care about the aesthetics or will be selling the guitar on.
i want to know this to. i was looking at a gibson les paul studio but they all have painted neck that all felt sticky and slow. right now i'm looking at the gibson les paul studio swamp ash just cause they don't have painted necks
I have played some that had crappy painted necks. I just got a guitar with a painted neck and its not sticky at all. The crappy ones were on cheap guitars though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
my schecter c-1 lady luck has a painted neck and it's one of the best necks i've ever felt in my life.
it really just depends.
See above post ^
i have a gibson explorer, painted neck, when i first got it it was sticky, but after a few minutes of playing it was smooth as can be :P
Thats what i thought when i got my Viper, i really liked it but the neck was a bit sticky to me. but the mroe ive played it , the neck feels like its not sticky anymore. i dont know if its just me or the oil from my hands being on and playing the neck.
All my guitars have painted necks, and I play fast with no trouble.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Its not painted necks I have a problem with, its lacquered ones, like the new American Modern Strats. I just can't play fast on them like most necks.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
My les paul's neck was somewhat sticky for a little while but it wore off with playing.
it's all preference. I don't prefer painted necks. my SG has one and feels nice. I had a Schecter C-1 that I couldn't stand the feel of the neck after a while.

I think it feels different. not as smooth to run on. but that's nothing more than personal opinion. I wouldn't completely avoid a guitar that appealed to me because the neck was painted. I treat it as a case-to-case situation, just give them a try.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Satin finish? that'd keep the neck fast.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Painted neck?

I feel like a total n00b. Can someone show me an example?

And why would you paint a neck?
Wash your hands, wipe down the neck and it won't be sticky.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by isaac311
Wash your hands

oh right. that's why my guitars neck is sticky! damn hot chicks thread
Guitars
washburn x50 pro
jackson js30dk
epi lp 100
jt-res

Effects

zvex FF
digitech ex-7
bespeco volume pedal
boss sd-1
ehx double muff
marshall echohead
behringer cl9
korg mini kaoss pad

Amp
fender champion 300
Quote by fixationdarknes

My question is: Is there anything you can buy and maybe apply to the neck or something that will give it a smoother less painted feel?

Also, do not all painted necks feel sticky like what I am describing?

You dont need to buy anything, on Gibson's for example the painted neck is covered with their nitro lacquer so it wont feel painted, its just cosmetic
i solved that problem by taking so steel wool and rubbing it to a satin like finish on my acostic
I don't know but I've been told that sometimes new finishes aren't fully set up yet, which might take a month. So they seem sticky at first. I've had one neck (an ES-175) that I found too sticky to play; otherwise, no problem even with paint.
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
USA Jacksons. Enough said.

thats for damn sure

although I dont see it as a huge problem...but I do notice it when I play something where I have to move around very quickly...

i wonder if there is such thing as guitar lube lol
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by mike20mrb
i solved that problem by taking so steel wool and rubbing it to a satin like finish on my acostic

+1

0000 Grade Fine Steel Wool works perfectly and its cheap and easy...
Well, the thing is, my hands always get really sweaty so I think that's what makes that painted neck seem so slow. Whereas on my unpainted satin-finished neck, it seems so smooth even if I sweat a little.
A painted neck may feel sticky at first, but play the sh!t out of it for a while and they will be as smooth as can be.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
unless your hands get sweaty quickly you won't have a problem
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Rather than buying a guitar with a satin finish already on top of an unpainted guitar neck, is it possible to merely apply some satin finish yourself to a painted/glossed neck? Would you have to sand off the paint and gloss first before doing so, or could you just throw it right on top?

If so, does it work as well and how long does it last?
painted or non painted

it doesnt affect skill

plz dont blame the neck if u cant play

but personally i like the neck on my schecter which is painted

doesnt bother me although when i start sweating it gets stick sort of but doesnt affect playing it
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam

plz dont blame the neck if u cant play

Thanks for generalizing? I simply like the feel of a non-painted satin-finished neck much better?

Quote by NGMF-Sam

doesnt bother me although when i start sweating it gets stick sort of but doesnt affect playing it

Problem is that I seem to always be sweating when playing guitar. Painted necks does me no good.
3/4 o my guitar necks are pinted, asnd they feel exactly the same as my fender without paint.
as long as you regularly take care of your guitars (clean and restring) the painted neck don't feel bad, although if you don't care for them they do seem to get dirty faster.
so yah take care of your gear aand love it, and it'll love you back.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by fixationdarknes
Can you really coat a guitar neck with satin finish? Just throw it on top of the painted neck?

Well, you could sand the finish off, and repaint it, or if it's a bolt-neck, replace the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a LP Classic with the neck painted white. It's sweeeeeet. Never had any problems with it. Dont' forget that "wooden" necks have a clear coat too.
Quote by JackoMBA
I have a LP Classic with the neck painted white. It's sweeeeeet. Never had any problems with it. Dont' forget that "wooden" necks have a clear coat too.

+1
and more often than not these coats will be tinted.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
eventually you will coat the neck in sweat and it wont be as sticky (even if you clean it after a while)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158