View poll results: Art or Science
Art
65 34%
Science
129 66%
Voters: 194.
Page 1 of 3
Which is more essential to humanity?

I realize both are important but, if you were to decide which one could bring better benefits to us.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Science

If you were to remove all art from society today people would be upset.

If you were to remove all science from society today it would crumble.
Last edited by rizo299 at Mar 25, 2008,
Quote by rizo299
Science

+1
When dread's robots attack, it's his scientifically modified muscles that will save us! Not SD's photoshops
science is more essential, but science would quickly become stagnant without art.

EDIT:

oh wait...isnt this a versus thread??
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
hard to say, I'd probably go science though
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
iof there was no art there would be no music, so that means there would be no guitar, which means this site would not exist and we would not be having this discussion :P
Both; they stem from the same source, different tributaries from the same great river of humanity.
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm gonna be awkward and say it depends on what you mean by "humanity."

Nah, science wins, but art gives meaning to the meaningless (ie. life) so I guess humanity as we know it wouldn't survive without art. But humanity at all wouldn't survive without science. I mean, eating = survival is a very basic scientific breakthrough- without that...
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
the two are essential to eachother. Without science art would never progress, without art no one would think enough to further science. I would say science is a form of art, and art is a form of science.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Art's more crucial to happiness, science is vital for ease of life and longevity.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by ValoRhoads
the two are essential to eachother. Without science art would never progress, without art no one would think enough to further science. I would say science is a form of art, and art is a form of science.

Quote by ValoRhoads
I would say science is a form of art, and art is a form of science.

Well said there.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Dreadnought
Both; they stem from the same source, different tributaries from the same great river of humanity.

cheers mate!
Quote by Yakult
Art's more crucial to happiness, science is vital for ease of life and longevity.

So they go hand-in-hand. I didn't think my answer through enough..
It's the same thing, really. Both are about creation, discovery and understanding, I don't see how you could have one without the other.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Most scientific advancement has come from art. Without art science would progress on a need to have basis, not "hey that is a cool idea" basis.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by Dreadnought

With that new age thinking crap, I'm regretting voting for you.

Science is more important all the way. What's the use of art if the population dies of disease before they can appreciate it?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
With that new age thinking crap, I'm regretting voting for you.

Science is more important all the way. What's the use of art if the population dies of disease before they can appreciate it?

New age thinking crap? Try millenia-old Buddhism; I refuse to take blame for your inability to see that the same passion is behind both science and art.
Quote by Dreadnought
New age thinking crap? Try millenia-old Buddhism; I refuse to take blame for your inability to see that the same passion is behind both science and art.

I was being sarky, kiddo (damn forgetting use of the smiley)

But anyways, yes, both require passion, but science, IMO, has been more vital to how we live today.
The way I view science on the issue is discovery to further human knowledge. With this in mind, I believe art is more important, and humanity can live without science. Look at most tribes in Africa.
It's hard to pick.
Without science, we would be monkeys.
Without art, we would be robots.

It's harder than listening to "Pink Floyd - Hey You" without cringing .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

They're both equally important.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Science and art is in essence the same thing.

Creativity distilled into effectiveness.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I was being sarky, kiddo (damn forgetting use of the smiley)

But anyways, yes, both require passion, but science, IMO, has been more vital to how we live today.

Okay, I disagree.

I wouldn't want to live in either a world with rampant disease, death, and lack of technology or a world without architecture, music, or creativity of any kind. Both are hideous forms of existence.
Quote by zombie_monster
The way I view science on the issue is discovery to further human knowledge. With this in mind, I believe art is more important, and humanity can live without science. Look at most tribes in Africa.

Most tribes in africa use tools, know what to eat, what not to eat, how to prepare food... all that still falls under science. Just because they don't have heavy machinery or computers doesn't mean they don't use science.
Science, without a shadow of a doubt. Although it would be difficult to live without art, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to live without science.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Våd Hamster

.I just wrote that in my MSN personal message if you don't mind.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
.I just wrote that in my MSN personal message if you don't mind.

Go ahead
Quote by zombie_monster

The same AIDS-ridden, hungry tribes who don't live to see the age of 30? Science prolongs life, and longer life means more time to appreciate the finer things in life, such as art.
If you like having mechanical or electronic stuff, medicine etc then there's only one choice.
Quote by Våd Hamster

As lovely as that sounds, it isn't really true (imo)...

Science is more essential than art. Art is nice and enjoyable in loads of different forms... and I supposed music can be considered a science .. but that still doesn't make them the same thing. Music will never save lives.. well, not directly, Sir Bob wouldn't like me saying that
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by denizenz
Science.

Art sucks.

Thats funny, coming from a guitarist...

I would say art and science are interdependent, because science starts out as art and part of art is science. Just look at music theory for example. Harmony is a science.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
Quote by Våd Hamster

+1
Science prolongues life, art makes life barable; without art, and I mean any art, humming, sketching, joking, cooking for flavour. We'll all want to die, and all science could do is drug us into apathy.
I'd like to add, the most important will be the one that came first. Need being the mother of all invention, the first invention will be the first need; so thank you cave paintings, wistling, and basic crafts. (PS: spears aren't science, they're made by craft and used by sport)
Quote by MiG_853
I'd like to add, the most important will be the one that came first. Need being the mother of all invention, the first invention will be the first need; so thank you cave paintings, wistling, and basic crafts. (PS: spears aren't science, they're made by craft and used by sport)

The creation of spears is science. And it was used by the need for food, not sport. The creation of fire was a science. The extraction of materials to create basic crafts is a science.
Page 1 of 3