casn major scales be used effectively for metal? i have been hearing alot about how zakk wylde and other metal guitarist use only minor scales. i have all the minor pentatonic scale forms memorized and can use them all to make some pretty good solos. is it even werth it for me to learn the major scales,or ,for metal, are major scales a big no no.
Quote by yao151
casn major scales be used effectively for metal? i have been hearing alot about how zakk wylde and other metal guitarist use only minor scales. i have all the minor pentatonic scale forms memorized and can use them all to make some pretty good solos. is it even werth it for me to learn the major scales,or ,for metal, are major scales a big no no.

Minor scales are just a mode of their relative majors.

Hence, any scale can be used for any genre of music.
Zakk is all about *riff* *ph* *riff* *ph*

Buy you have answered your own question my freind
i think major scales are happier and minor are sadder
majors are much more frequently used
u can use either for metal
Last edited by severed head at Mar 25, 2008,
A pentatonic?

e|-------------------------------5--8--|
B|-------------------------5--8--------|
G|-------------------5--7--------------|
D|-------------5--7--------------------|
A|-------5--8--------------------------|
E|-5--8--------------------------------|
SEX!

Now I have your attention, witness the awesomeness that is my sig

Quote by GuitarManDan15
win

Free Dean V To Loving Home
I believe you're most likely to find Minor scales rather than Major, in Metal. It doesn't mean that you can't use them I guess.
you can use any scale for any genre of music, whats more important is how you use said scale.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
metal, if going for a darker more sinister tone, sound, style, would use the more darker, sinister sounding scale

minor.
but that doesnt mean major isnt important. learn major, minor, modes, ect
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by severed head
mahors are much more frequently used

Wtf is a mahor?!?!?!??!?!?!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by rizo299
Minor scales are just a mode of their relative majors.

Hence, any scale can be used for any genre of music.

thanks,but thats sorta like saying britney spears could be metal if she added guitars.

some scales sounded more distinctively "soft"than others, so doesnt that effect whether or not they can be used for metal or not?
Quote by _InsanitY_
A pentatonic?

that would be a minor pentatonic

Quote by Kankuro
^ +1 The Japanese Pentatonic sounds quite nice.

referring to me? lol

i didnt think that sounded japanese

if so
SEX!

Now I have your attention, witness the awesomeness that is my sig

Quote by GuitarManDan15
win

Free Dean V To Loving Home
actually, every minor scale also contains the same notes as a major scale. For instance if you took a D minor scale, it's relative major scale would be Bb major. Every minor's relative major is the 6th note of the scale

D E F G A Bb C D
its only getting worse, in the ashes of the wake.
Quote by yao151
thanks,but thats sorta like saying britney spears could be metal if she added guitars.

some scales sounded more distinctively "soft"than others, so doesnt that effect whether or not they can be used for metal or not?

No it doesn't, like I said it depends on how you use them, a lot of metal has soft melodic passages at some point, also riffing in a minor scale and then playing a lead in a major scale can be a very effective counterpoint.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by yao151

It's not saying that at all.

What a scale sounds like when played simply as a scale has no effect on what the notes of that scale sound like individually or when played out of order.

The sound comes from how two notes interact due to the intervals being used, not which scale they belong to.

Hence why every major scale has the exact same notes as it's relative minor. Same notes, but the intervals are in a slightly different order.

And I've heard metal versions of britney spears songs, so it's perfectly possible.
Quote by lespaulfromhell
actually, every minor scale also contains the same notes as a major scale. For instance if you took a D minor scale, it's relative major scale would be Bb major. Every minor's relative major is the 6th note of the scale

D E F G A Bb C D

there are also more notes in a major scale/mode (whatever you like to call them)than in a minor one if i am not correct so wouldnt it be pointless to learn those extra scales if im only going to use certain parts of them in a solo or riff??
Quote by _InsanitY_

I found a site that says its more like this

A|-------5--7--------------------------|
Which one is more correct?
Quote by yao151
there are also more notes in a major scale/mode (whatever you like to call them)than in a minor one if i am not correct so wouldnt it be pointless to learn those extra scales if im only going to use certain parts of them in a solo or riff??

No thats completely wrong.

If you went and learnt the major scale and all it's modes, you'd be learning the minor scale and all it's modes because every minor scale is just the 6th mode of a major scale.
no sir, the minor mode and the major mode both have the same amount of notes in them.
Quote by yao151

Sounds like you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Honestly, it's worth learning.
Quote by severed head
i didnt say that....

Originally Posted by severed head
mahors are much more frequently used

Lies!!!

Anyways, dude you can use whatever scale for metal man. Sure most bands stick to natural minor, harmonic minor, phyrgian mode, locrian mode, and the gypsy scale (5th mode of the harmonic minor scale). That doesn't matter, be an innovator not an imitator.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
most scales are modes or altered modes of the major scale. For example, Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction is heavily based on the Phrygian scale, which is the 3rd degree of the major scale. Just because Metal is aggressive, it does not mean that you don't need any knowledge. Learn as much theory as you can. You'll become a better player.
blah
and if you're feeling really creative learn every mode in the key of the song, and when it comes time to solo, use the proper mode over the appropriate note or chord or whatever the hell you're soloing over
major sweeps are really cool, for example:
C,E,G,C,E,G,tap the C then go back down.
do the same think but change the bass note: C sweep, C sweep, G# sweep, A# sweep
thats epic.
ok thanks to every1. i think i have a long night ahead of me learning the major scales....thank you to every1 who helped .if i made myself look like a jackass ,well, thats sorta how i am ....
Quote by flipthatchicken
major sweeps are really cool, for example:
C,E,G,C,E,G,tap the C then go back down.
do the same think but change the bass note: C sweep, C sweep, G# sweep, A# sweep
thats epic.

between the buried and me - selkies the endless obsession

the major sweeps in the end are incredible!
Quote by yao151
ok thanks to every1. i think i have a long night ahead of me learning the major scales....thank you to every1 who helped .if i made myself look like a jackass ,well, thats sorta how i am ....

i like how this thread turned into sweeps
u inspired me to learn some new ones when i get home tnx
I use the major scale in my music, and although its not metal, its pretty heavy and probably can demonstrate how the major scale can be made to sound even more kick ass than other scales. Soon, hopefully soon anyways, I'll have a song recorded and all of UG will then bow to me.

*waits*
We're only strays.