how do you play backing tracks like samples or whatever with a click for the drummer, and have the drummer hear the clicks but not have them be heard through the PA?
Quote by Jack_hertz92
headphones, mp3?

obviously but how can you hear the clicks and not the audience?
Quote by EvyDefMetal
obviously but how can you hear the clicks and not the audience?

Noise cancelling headphones?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Noise cancelling headphones?

hello?!?

noise cancelling headphones only reduce outside noise..i need to hear clicks in my ears and the same clicks not to be heard via the PA. Understand?
Quote by clearchaos
click track --> mixer --> headphones.

but its an mp3 which will contain click track and the backing. will i need 2 soundsources eg 2 mp3 players?
Quote by EvyDefMetal
hello?!?

noise cancelling headphones only reduce outside noise..i need to hear clicks in my ears and the same clicks not to be heard via the PA. Understand?

Then noise cancelling headphones is what you need.
you'd need two different sources - one with the click track, the other with the backing track. Both go through your mixer. Backing track goes through your PA, click track is muted so won't go through the PA, but you can hear it through the headphones using PFL.
Quote by shmooty
you'd need two different sources - one with the click track, the other with the backing track. Both go through your mixer. Backing track goes through your PA, click track is muted so won't go through the PA, but you can hear it through the headphones using PFL.

what is pfl, and it is 2 different sources how do you sync them up if they are out of time?
PFL is pre-fader listen. You hear the source before it goes through any EQ, pan, effects etc.
Syncinc them up is the hard part, and i'm not sure exactly how youd do it, because most things have a gap between pressing play and playback. Erm, you could maybe get one of those CD players which have two CD slots with two seperate controls. Then just press play at the same time. But you'd need two outputs from it; one going to one channel and out through the PA, the other going to a different channel for you to listen to through 'phones.

There might be a simpler way, but my brain isnt thinking much today.
Last edited by shmooty at Mar 25, 2008,
so in other words, it's possible for my band, since we're a trio, to prerecord keyboard and guitar parts for when we play live EDIT: ?
Last edited by frottage at Mar 25, 2008,
Yes. You could also look into getting a trigger pad for your drummer. Basically you hit it and it triggers something to play a sample/pre-recorded whatever.
Quote by shmooty
Yes. You could also look into getting a trigger pad for your drummer. Basically you hit it and it triggers something to play a sample/pre-recorded whatever.

thought of that but we want something that will be less likely to screw up and not have to be manually triggered
hmmm not too sure then. Its complicated to do unless you spend a lot of money i'd imagine. This is why I try to avoid writing parts which we won't be able to do live. Unless its not adding all that much to the song.