Page 1 of 2
The idea of a nice 5 watt tube amp makes me salivate, but since I practice in the house, usually one room away from my wife who's watching TV, running even a 5 watt tube amp high enough to get a nice sound is impossible.

Would something like the Ibanez Tube King pedal give me a reasonable sound with the amp volume almost all the way down? I'm not looking for 100% authentic here, but since 99.9% of my time spent on the guitar is with it at barely audible levels, I want something that will give me a pleasing sound at these lower levels.
Dunno about your budget but Zvex makes that tiny amp.

Or that new Blackheart one that's really small
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Even if it's a 1/2 watt amp, at the volumes I'm listening, I'm not going to saturate it. I think I'm really looking to get my sound from a pedal and then run the amp clean. That way it won't change with the volume of the amp.
Quote by Jim85IROC
The idea of a nice 5 watt tube amp makes me salivate, but since I practice in the house, usually one room away from my wife who's watching TV, running even a 5 watt tube amp high enough to get a nice sound is impossible.

Would something like the Ibanez Tube King pedal give me a reasonable sound with the amp volume almost all the way down? I'm not looking for 100% authentic here, but since 99.9% of my time spent on the guitar is with it at barely audible levels, I want something that will give me a pleasing sound at these lower levels.

Line 6 Pocket Pod or the new Korg Pandora thingy + A nice pair of headphones.

Really good practice rig.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
+1 to timi. If half-watters are still too loud then you get a POD and headphones

Or just kill your wife and get a Bluesbreaker to crank.
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
You could get an attenuator ( like the THD Hotplate) for whatever amp you get. That might be kind of stupid though, considering that you're not playing through a half stack or anything that powerful.

Edit: Headphones seem like the best solution, though.
lowish wattage amp with a master volume/gain control? that's probably the easiest way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jxljxl
Or just kill your wife and get a Bluesbreaker to crank.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Low wattage valve head (Epi VJ, Blackheart BH5H), then run it into a Weber Mass. It's what I do, and it works great. I've got so much power tube saturation that when I pick, the notes practically explode off the fingerboard, but it's at a perfect bedroom volume.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I still think he should kill his wife and get a Plexi
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
tell ur wife to let you enjoy ur hobby. she gets irritated if she can hear ur guitar i assume? next time u hear her tv on or somethin go in there and bitch at her and tell her to get some headphones.

cuz if us GUITARISTS have to start letting this empty air be filled with useless noise rather than our tube amps, then the REST OF THE WORLD shouldn't get to fill it with THEIR pleasures.

pisses me off having to hear bout people having to get headphones or 5 watt amps solely for the purpose that if anyone else in the house can hear them pursuing their passion, that they'll get bitched at or yelled at.

GUITARISTS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!

alrite rant over
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
tell ur wife to let you enjoy ur hobby. she gets irritated if she can hear ur guitar i assume? next time u hear her tv on or somethin go in there and bitch at her and tell her to get some headphones.

cuz if us GUITARISTS have to start letting this empty air be filled with useless noise rather than our tube amps, then the REST OF THE WORLD shouldn't get to fill it with THEIR pleasures.

pisses me off having to hear bout people having to get headphones or 5 watt amps solely for the purpose that if anyone else in the house can hear them pursuing their passion, that they'll get bitched at or yelled at.

alrite rant over

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by slash_rocks2005

alrite rant over

You call that a rant?
Quote by slash_rocks2005

alrite rant over
So.....yeah.....kill her! With a guitar for ironic purposes!
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
No, that would be suspicious.

Buy your valve amp, open it up, ask for her help, then have her touch one of the filter caps.

Nobody will suspect a thing.
Now it's 1984
Or kill her by dropping a full Marshall JCM800 stack on top of her!
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
hahaha "respect?" since when did respect automatically mean that tv noise is less disrepsectful than guitar noise?

just b/c that's the generalized idea DOESN'T make it the way it's supposed to be. i mean if yall think about it, it doesn't make sense. those of us who dedicate time to learning about an instrument and mastering it the best we can have to hear from those who would rather just sit on a couch and vegitate or play video games tell us that WE'RE the ones being too loud.

i'm sorry yall have to hear my opinion on this, but the way people just accept things so easily as the "rule of thumb" isn't necessary, there's so many things that people don't even question and therefor just blindly follow through like mice to the Piper.

but yea man sounds like you either just build a sound room (which would be HELLA sweet!!!) or get headphones....but don't kill ur wife- she can do things that lotion can't
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005

alrite rant over

You obviously aren't married. Or if you are, you won't be for long.

When I want to crank, I can go out to my office above the garage, but most of the time I'd rather just go out to the dining room to practice. It's not fair to my wife to be bombarded with noise while she's trying to do other things any more than I want to hear the vacuum when I'm listening to music.

Anyway, I'm not real hot on the headphone idea. Between the headphone cord and the guitar cord, it winds up being a tangled mess, plus I'm really trying to incorporate a real tube sound, and using headphones with a tube amp gets complicated most of the time, but maybe I'll give some of those small amps a test drive next time I get to a guitar shop.
This was your answer, in case you missed it:

Quote by Dave_Mc
lowish wattage amp with a master volume/gain control? that's probably the easiest way.

A Palomino V8 would do the job nicely. You'd get real pre-amp tube gain that way, as opposed to what you'd get from a pedal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
hahaha "respect?" since when did respect automatically mean that tv noise is less disrepsectful than guitar noise?

Since TV's aren't as loud as any guitar amp?

Seriously, even if you turn a TV up quite a bit a 5w tube amp will probably blow it out of the water in terms of volume, especially if you want to crank it for true tube tone. Get an attenuator or a smaller amp (someone already mentioned that ZVEX do a small amp that runs at something like 1 or 0.5 watts).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you're playing it that quietly, then just get a SS amp.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Get a Valve Jr and fit a pentode/triode switch to reduce the output to 3w?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by slatsmania

A Palomino V8 would do the job nicely. You'd get real pre-amp tube gain that way, as opposed to what you'd get from a pedal.

I haven't tried the palomino, but

I know for low volume playing even a 15-watt tube amp with master volume will do better than a 5-watt tube amp with none. Heck almost any wattage, if the master volume is good enough. cranked tube tone = loud. that's the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slats

Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

i like my masters 30 too tho, in the low input and second channel, i still sound good at lower volumes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah. for low volume (distortion) my 100 watt engl sounds better than my valve junior. go figure.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Since TV's aren't as loud as any guitar amp?

Seriously, even if you turn a TV up quite a bit a 5w tube amp will probably blow it out of the water in terms of volume, especially if you want to crank it for true tube tone. Get an attenuator or a smaller amp (someone already mentioned that ZVEX do a small amp that runs at something like 1 or 0.5 watts).

You're thinking of the Zvex Nano.

That little bastard is deceptively loud. Still easily enough to drown a TV out.
Now it's 1984
Quote by 1337void
you can convert a valve junior/other 5 watt amp to 1/2 or 1 watts by resoldering the tube connections a bit and using a 12au7 or a 6n1p as an output tube. authentic power tube overdrive and if that is still too loud for for her to bear then really, she is bull****ting you and trying to show you who has the power .

she as your wife has to listen to what you say and respect you and if she doesnt then a marriage is a waste of time and you should consider getting a maid to clean up & make food instead of a wife. cheaper that way and you get to do what ever the **** you want when you want. no stupid obligations and other bull**** that society has attempted to plant into us with the universal get married have kids lifestyle which doesnt work any more due to women's high level of freedom and thus ability to mess with our minds, which they happily do since they think that a hole between their legs is worth a man to sacrifice half his earnings on her and unfortunately they have managed to corrupt men with this egocentric way of thought aswell.

Hmm, you've never been in love I take it?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Epiphone one has been rated very highly its 5 watt very simple great looking a nice little cab too.
Quote by 1337void

she as your wife has to listen to what you say and respect you and if she doesnt then a marriage is a waste of time and you should consider getting a maid to clean up & make food instead of a wife. cheaper that way and you get to do what ever the **** you want when you want. no stupid obligations and other bull**** that society has attempted to plant into us with the universal get married have kids lifestyle which doesnt work any more due to women's high level of freedom and thus ability to mess with our minds, which they happily do since they think that a hole between their legs is worth a man to sacrifice half his earnings on her and unfortunately they have managed to corrupt men with this egocentric way of thought aswell.

awwe, is someones mum a *****?

sniff.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by diditfortehlulz
You're thinking of the Zvex Nano.

That little bastard is deceptively loud. Still easily enough to drown a TV out.

Really? Oh well, attenuator for the TS then

Quote by 1337void

Was the divorce a bit messy then?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
TS, i was able to use my Vjr with a tube screamer at lower volumes.

yes you can buy a pedal to get usable low volume, higher gain tones from a 5W tube amp, But have you considered something like a vox SS practice amp for the times when you just want to play in the dining room?

^i think most of us picked up on the hostility. i for one, have never been a huge fan of marriage. doesnt mean i think all men are narrow minded, money digging, chauvinistic ashholes. only some are...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ yeah, touche jenny, a pedal would also work. I'm just not that fond of that idea because of cost. It's probably different in the USA, as things tend to be a bit cheaper, but the cost of a valve junior + (decent) pedal would have you within range of a laney vc15, which is more versatile, has a gain control, has two channels, and has 15 watts and a 10" speaker.

I'm sticking to what I always say about the VJ- it's great if you already have a rig, and already have some boost pedals, speaker cabinets etc. (or have another amp or two so that if you buy pedals, you aren't solely buying them for use with the VJ). However, if you're starting from scratch, the amount of extras you may have to purchase to get the tones out of it you want will end up pushing the price past what would have bought you an amp aimed at those tones in the first place, in a lot of cases.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by timi_hendrix

+1. Especially when you need something portable.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by timi_hendrix

i was going to suggest that
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by gregs1020
Duct tape? Sorry, divorced...

You'd need a lot to get a divorced couple back together.

Could just weld them.
Page 1 of 2