Hey, my guitar teacher is working on a coffee house type concert at a local place. He asked if I wanted to open for him. We were discussing an acoustic show I played recently and playing live in general, and he suggested I open with somethign upbeat. I had opened with a cover and it was upbeat but he suggested, "why not do an instrumental cover or really make it your own." I've always been about making covers unique so it sounded good to me. I may also play with my friend Mike who is really into open tunings and Andy McKee type, rhythmic and instrumental stuff. I'm pretty good, pretty creative so is he.

So I've got plenty of time to figure something out and have fun with it so I figured I'd ask anyone for suggestions:
What should I play that I could maybe put in an open tuning and run with for an acoustic instrumental cover?

Some ideas I've tossed around so far are like Champagne Supernova or Ironic by Alannis, to give you an idea. And to hear my sound I guess, here's a link to some rough recordings: http://www.myspace.com/lastflightoutrules

Thanks
Put your guitar into open C tuning (CGCGCE) and just sorta improvise with that. If you do it right, you can pretty much solo on just one string and have it sound pretty cool. Then try and end it with a harmonic on the twelfth fret of all six strings, the chord can just ring so beautifully.

Here's a video of what I mean, I managed to screw up the harmonic though, but you get the idea.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10025863437

(Yeah, I'm an open tuning freak too.)

If you have any time after that, you could maybe go into something Crosby Stills and Nash, Love The One You're With (that's actually just Stills) would be a good one, since most people know it. Pick N Grin's got a nice video on that one.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/steal_this_video_alternate_tunings.html
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Last edited by eckmann88 at Mar 25, 2008,
Little Martha by The Allman Brothers Band is a beautiful acoustic guitar duet in open E, so it sounds like it should work.
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
Mr. Jones, it's somehow upbeat and delightful, yet terribly depressing and perfectly accoustic at the same time. Standard open tuning, easy as hell to play, so you can really run with it and make it your own however you like. Also probably the best song ever written.
Ya good suggestions guys, I'll fool around with these and maybe post a recording if I get one. Thanks
Is it too late to give a suggestion? 'Cause Davy Graham/Bert Jansch's Angi/Angie/Anji is perfect for this kinda thing, and everyone knows it.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Orion?

Sorry if its sounds stupid but I've been listening to the rodrigoe Y gabriella version and its excellent!
No no keep suggestions coming, it's a very informal thing. It's not likie i'm just picking one and learning it, I'm just gonna tool around with different things. and its fun for me of course : )

Thanks
Eh I dont know if a lot of people will know that. I'm looking for something thats gonna be like "Wait, o, ya, Ohhhh hes playing thatttt oooooo! Cool!"

Anyone have an opinion on Tempted by Squeeze? I feel like that could be a good one.
Ya dude that song is sick, but I don't know if i would relaly want to touch that song. It's so awesome it's uncoverable in my opinion. I don't want to just show poeople im really talented, I just want them to enjoy it.