I apologize in advance if this thread has been tackled before.

I just recently got back playing guitar after a 6 month involuntary break. I am rusty in all aspects of my playing.

I would like to add an OD pedal to my setup and am really having a hard time deciding between the Ibanex TubeScreamer and Boss Super OD. As the Boss is 1/2 the price it certainly looks appealing. As my sig says, I have a tube amp so that is a big factor in this decision.

I suppose my question is: Does anyone have experience with the SD-1 and would it be as good as the TS9, or should I just go for the the sure thing and bring home the "green monster"

Thanks, guys

-Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
It's a bit different methinks. The SD-1 is a bit more transparant. None of that mid hump and the bass cut isn't as drastic compared to the TS9. I prefer the TS9 though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
TS9. no contest. or maybe try a BBE greenscreamer. i've heard they are basically the same except a little cheaper.
The Tubescreamer is a great pedal, hence the reputation and the price. A lot better than the SD-1, but you may feel that the Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) is good enough for your needs. Almost the same circuitry I believe, and a great pedal outright. It's worth checking out before you go for it, but also bear in mind that neither of Boss' options look as cool on your board as a Tubescreamer!

Although if you are thinking of getting the TS, in that you're not put off by it's price, then look at the Maxon OD-9 - its the same as the TS, but better. Though I don't know how. I'm sure someone else will describe why. But when I did a head to head the Maxon won. Shame I already had a TS-9 really! The price difference between the two is definitely justified IMO.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Last edited by hairball at Mar 25, 2008,
TYou bring up a good point. The looks do make a difference, despite the limited merit that has on overall performance.

I have made mistakes in the past by "cutting financial corners" and wound up regretting my decision. The TS9 has been on my wish list for over 2 years so I really think I should pony up and get one.

However, I still look foward to all the feedback and opinions everyone has to offer. I know of no better resource than UG for research.

Thanks

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
If you're really serious about the TS9, then go for it. But not before you check out the Maxon OD9. It's in essence the same pedal, but there's something about it for me that's just better. And I don't know why. I also believe it's true bypass. the respective 808s may be worth a look (TS808 and OD808) too based on your rigs blues aimed sound (I'm guessing here).
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Fulltone OCD
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
The guy wants a TS, and last time I checked the Fulltone was double the price. Is it double the pedal? I'm not so sure. My opinion, and mine only. The Maxons are worth the price difference yes. But I'm honestly not sure whether the OCD is. Others on here will say it is. And maybe (infact probably) prices have changed since I last looked. It is one hell of a pedal though.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Quote by hairball
The guy wants a TS, and last time I checked the Fulltone was double the price. Is it double the pedal? I'm not so sure. My opinion, and mine only. The Maxons are worth the price difference yes. But I'm honestly not sure whether the OCD is. Others on here will say it is. And maybe (infact probably) prices have changed since I last looked. It is one hell of a pedal though.

The TS is about $100, and the OCD can be had for about $150, if you're willing to wait to have one built and shipped to you.

If I was going to spend that much on a TS, I'd just spring the extra and get the OCD.

Of course, if budget is a problem, I'd ditch the Boss and go for a Digitech Bad Monkey. The BM kills every budget OD out there, IMO.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
The TS is about $100, and the OCD can be had for about $150, if you're willing to wait to have one built and shipped to you.

If I was going to spend that much on a TS, I'd just spring the extra and get the OCD.

Of course, if budget is a problem, I'd ditch the Boss and go for a Digitech Bad Monkey. The BM kills every budget OD out there, IMO.

OK, at a $50 difference the OCD wins every time. I should try to stay up to date on prices really. I forgot about the Bad Monkey. Great pedal, though I prefer the Boss BD-2, which is priced (IMO) fairly accurately compared to other - overpriced - Boss pedals at around $50/$60 (I'm working on it being about £50 in the UK and you can generally just replace the $ with £ So it is almost double the price of a Bad Monkey. So you could buy 2 and have 2 OD settings on the fly etc. But for $50 difference, it has to be the OCD.
Quote by TehJermie

Quote by silhouettica

Cmatmods.com Signa-Drive amazing little pedal for less than the OCD and a hundred times more transparent. It's 135, custom built.
Quote by hairball
OK, at a $50 difference the OCD wins every time. I should try to stay up to date on prices really. I forgot about the Bad Monkey. Great pedal, though I prefer the Boss BD-2, which is priced (IMO) fairly accurately compared to other - overpriced - Boss pedals at around $50/$60 (I'm working on it being about £50 in the UK and you can generally just replace the $ with £ So it is almost double the price of a Bad Monkey. So you could buy 2 and have 2 OD settings on the fly etc. But for $50 difference, it has to be the OCD.

That's an easy mistake to make. I've seen OCD's prices fluctuate a bit over the past year or so.

But yeah, the OCD is pretty much king in every aspect. It's affordable, sounds great, is super versatile, and is built like a brick shit house.
Now it's 1984
You guys are right, I do have this "thing" for the TS. I am sure most of you can recall a time where you had a case of the "gotta-have-its" for something.

Interestingly enough, I heeded the advice of one of your suggestions and looked up the BBE version. As I have owned a BBE SOnic Stomp in the past, I know the quality of these pedals and consider the BBE pedals to be among the finest available. Despite this, I still cannot shake the "gotta-have-its" for the TS. This is the primary reason I am so active in this thread - I don't want to succomb to an impulse but.

As a sidebar, I have owned the BD-2. This was when my rig was a Squier Tele and a Roland MicroCube. To be perfectly honest, I really don't remember how it sounded - different rig, different time.

Also, to the person whom pointed out my magnetism towards blues - good call. After meeting Andy Aledort I was totally stuck on blues type playing. I also like country, although I find playing it beyond my guitar skill.

This is turning out to be a great thread so lets keep it rolling. Someone besides myself may get some real benefit from it.

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
I love my OD-808 whether for a slight overdrive on a clean channel to just barely give it a breaking up sound or a little more for sort of a dirty blues rhythm tone. On top of a gain channel is where I usually use it though to even further tighten up the sound of my Mark IV, but since you're playing blues I'd think that wouldn't really matter much to you.

I'd highly recommend it though, I liked it better than the TS-9, TS-808 and OD-9, but that's just me. I'd suggest you go try out a ton if you can and just pick the one you like the best, that's what I did and went through about 20 before I decided on the Maxon.

The OCD would probably be a good choice as well. It has a lot more gain on tap than the Tubescreamers and most of their clones, which may be appealing for a blues lead tone, etc but can still be rolled back if needed of course. It has its own sound to it which makes it a pretty unique pedal. Definitely check one out if you can.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com