First question i read on a web site when playing fast rock music they only use down strokes is this true?

Second question is there any other way then just practicing that can improve transitions from one power chord to another aswell as from power chords to single not picking and back again to the power chord?
Lol. Only down strokes... so wrong.

A hint to the power chord transitions: start strumming the chord before you've actually gotten into position for it. Sounds weird, but it works.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
Quote by Black_Fender
Lol. Only down strokes... so wrong.

A hint to the power chord transitions: start strumming the chord before you've actually gotten into position for it. Sounds weird, but it works.

I should mention though that this method only makes it near-seamless; you have to be fast with your transitions already to do this method.
Suck it up, kid. Power chords are uber-easy. If you think they're hard, just wait till you try sweeping...

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
First question i read on a web site when playing fast rock music they only use down strokes is this true?

Oh that's so wrong in every way. What site did your read this from? "Myspace"?

HAHA.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Give the guy a break, Jesus. This is guitar BASICS, these are for new people.

Sorry, UG isn't normally like this.

Anyways, for your first question

Sometimes Metallica and Megadeth would downpick their stuff. An example would be "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, it's all downpicked. Down picking gives a more full metal sound then alternate picking.

But for REALLY fast metal Alternate picking is always used.

For powerchords:

Just "Lock" your fingers in the power chord position and work a little on sliding and you'll be fine =]