Hey. I own a Marshall G80RCD and i have problems with it (guitar sounds bad compared to other amps, P.M.s sound crap, huge feedback, not very good with my effects pedals etc).
I wanna buy a new amp. Any suggestions? I heard the Line 6 Spider III 30w is meant to be good, but the clean and crunch has problems? I don't want to buy an amp and then have problems with it and then end up selling again.
I aint in a band, so i dont want to get an amp over 30w. My price range is £100-150, around those figures. I play all types of metal, from Metallica to Cannibal Corpse so i would want one that has a good metal sound, however i still want a good clean sound because i use that also. I play an Ibanez RG7321 seven string.
If you could recommend some amps for me that would be suitable, that would be great. I can go try them out then and see which is my fav.
Hope you can help me.
x
Hey. Thanks for the reply. i looked at the Roland Cube 30X and it looks ace. I'm gonna try it out next week.
Just wondering though, can it pull off more than just metal? does it have a good clean/blues sound?
cheers
The Roland Cube is decent for cleans, but it's more oriented towards metal/higher-gain music.

As a personal rule of thumb:

If you emphasis is on:
Cleans/low-gain: Vox Valvetronix
Metal/high-gain: Roland Cube
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Ghold125
roland cube 30

+1
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
How about laneys? anyone heard anyhting good about them? i know mastodon use them and they use clean/effect stuff and they play metal.
would that be better than a roland cube?
x
Quote by Soul_Fly
How about laneys? anyone heard anyhting good about them? i know mastodon use them and they use clean/effect stuff and they play metal.
would that be better than a roland cube?
x

The Laneys in that price range are pretty bad. Go for a Cube if you want the effects, or if you don't want the effects then maybe a little Peavey Transtube, they're nice little amps.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The Laneys in that price range are pretty bad. Go for a Cube if you want the effects, or if you don't want the effects then maybe a little Peavey Transtube, they're nice little amps.

LC-15? used VC-15? bad?

I would definetly look into a LC-15. With an OD it can get decent metal tones, and will do your clean stuff very well.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
LC-15? used VC-15? bad?

I would definetly look into a LC-15. With an OD it can get decent metal tones, and will do your clean stuff very well.

Yeah, an LC15 and a cheap OD pedal will be brilliant for Cannibal Corpse

Not to mention that you're highly unlikely to get one of those amps and a pedal for £150. SS is best in this situation.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Yeah, an LC15 and a cheap OD pedal will be brilliant for Cannibal Corpse

Not to mention that you're highly unlikely to get one of those amps and a pedal for £150. SS is best in this situation.

Of course its not gonna do Cannibal Corpse, I doubt even the Cube 30 would get a good CC tone, its really buzzy on the Rectifier mod with the gain cranked.

I still think the LC would be a better option, but that could just be the tube elitist in me showing.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Of course its not gonna do Cannibal Corpse, I doubt even the Cube 30 would get a good CC tone, its really buzzy on the Rectifier mod with the gain cranked.

I still think the LC would be a better option, but that could just be the tube elitist in me showing.

I agree that the cube is buzzy, I don't like it much myself, but the Laneys just aren't voiced for that kind of music. The peavey would sound better, I think, but it sounds like he wants effects and that means the cube is the best option.

My Music
cheers for the replies guys!
i think i should give a bit more info on the pedals i have. I've already got a boss ME-50 multi effects unit. and I also have a Digitech Metal Master. Hmmm. I'm tied between like 2-3 amps lol, I wanna get one that i know i wont be replacing, this will be a practice amp anyways due to the wattage. so now that you know the pedals i've got, which amp do you think would be best?
Thanks again guys, UG is really helpful for stuff like this.
Quote by Soul_Fly
cheers for the replies guys!
i think i should give a bit more info on the pedals i have. I've already got a boss ME-50 multi effects unit. and I also have a Digitech Metal Master. Hmmm. I'm tied between like 2-3 amps lol, I wanna get one that i know i wont be replacing, this will be a practice amp anyways due to the wattage. so now that you know the pedals i've got, which amp do you think would be best?
Thanks again guys, UG is really helpful for stuff like this.

can you sell your pedals to up your budget?

Another question is, do you play a lot of CC? or do you play more stuff on the lighter side of Metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Firewind, Pantera, etc, stuff like that.

Because if you play mainly on the lighter side, I would say just save up a little more and buy something like the:

Peavey Valveking
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-112/68946

or for a little more

Randall RG50TC
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876

both of those amps should be able to do the lighter metal and get tight and heavy with an OD. They are higher wattages then both the LC15 and the Cube 30...but both of those amps are decent gigging amps. So you wouldn't have to upgrade if you ever start to gig or jam.
Thanks for reply. No i don't play that much CC, its basically just thrash - old megadeth, old metallica, sepultura, pantera, slayer, some CC etc. But i love to play stuff like joe satriani, hendrix, b.b. king, wes montgomery, john 5, steve vai etc too.
I was hoping to keep the pedals because they're pretty ace, and i didnt wanna spend too much money on an amp yet - until i've been playing for a few years and i can play better/i'm in a band. As you can probably tell i've only been playing for like over a year so i don't know too much about equiptment yet, thats's why i decided to ask on UG.
I just saw those amps you suggested, and i think theyre kinda out of my price range at the moment. I want to stick to an amp thats cheaper than that but with good enough quality for what i need, and then in the future i'll get one around those prices.
So its between the Roland Cube 30X and the LC-15? Personally i've looked at reviews on the cube 30x and it looks pretty sweet, pretty much everything i've heard is good comments on it - good for metal and good for clean/effects too.
Yeah the Roland Cube is pretty nice although I've heard cube+pedals=not a very good combination.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
Yeah the Roland Cube is pretty nice although I've heard cube+pedals=not a very good combination.

Oh really? how come it's bad with pedals?
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
can you sell your pedals to up your budget?

Another question is, do you play a lot of CC? or do you play more stuff on the lighter side of Metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Firewind, Pantera, etc, stuff like that.

Because if you play mainly on the lighter side, I would say just save up a little more and buy something like the:

Peavey Valveking
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-112/68946

or for a little more

Randall RG50TC
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876

By amp musical standards, do Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Anthrax, etc. fit into the lighter side or heavier side for these amps?