Hey guys.. ive been thinking about getting a rack amp for the following reasons.

1 - i was going to buy a bunch of boss pedals and a wireless but that would take up alot of room and cost more, than second rack mounts.
2 - I like the protection available for the rack components
3 - You can tweak your sound

Now i understand you need a midi controller such as a pod xt or boss gt-8 to controll the whole thing.

I need help on the following

Effects rack
1 - what are the brands to trust
2 - what are some decent effects rack i should look at

Power amp /re amp?
2 - what are they?
1 - I have a combo, do i need a pre amp/power amp? if so.. recommend one/brand?

is all i need?.... combo + multifx rack + preamp ?

Other
Is there any other racks you guys can recommend?
Thanks guys
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
for effects processors, boss,line 6, t.c electronics.

a power amp powers the pre amp which creatse the sound and the higher the power amps watts the louder the amp is. a good power amp company is crown and mesa has good preamps
schecter s-1
nonfunctional flextone II
charvette - project guitar
do i need a pre amp though?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by Ghold125
do you want to hear sound?

+1

does your combo have an effects loop?
schecter s-1
nonfunctional flextone II
charvette - project guitar
yes
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
Now i understand you need a midi controller such as a pod xt or boss gt-8 to controll the whole thing.

Where ever you got that idea from it's wrong. Pod's and the Boss GT-8 are modelers/multi-effects units, they're not for controlling a rack unit. You'll want to look for a midi controller that you can program to control your rig, something like the Behringer FCB1010

Quote by gface
Power amp /re amp?
2 - what are they?
1 - I have a combo, do i need a pre amp/power amp? if so.. recommend one/brand?

To keep it as basic as possible, a preamp is what's shaping your sound (the EQ's, gain, pre and post volume controls on the front of your amp) and a power amp converts the line level signal from the preamp and provides the power, volume, and balls to your sound.

Your combo is made up of a preamp and poweramp that's wired together in one unit. If you're amp happens to have an effects loop (send and return) you can bypass your amps preamp by plugging another preamp into the effects loop return.
if your combo has an fx loop you do not need a preamp and power amp. But your amp is meh... so if you are gtting a rack... i would sell your combo and your digitech and buy a tc electronics Gmajor, a Dunlop Rack wah, and a mesa power and pre-amp (or mesa pre amp and marshall power amp)
Quote by Highwaytohell
if your combo has an fx loop you do not need a preamp and power amp. But your amp is meh... so if you are gtting a rack... i would sell your combo and your digitech and buy a tc electronics Gmajor, a Dunlop Rack wah, and a mesa power and pre-amp (or mesa pre amp and marshall power amp)

THANKYOU!!! i didnt think i needed one... thats all i wanted to know
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
which should i go for

Rocktron Xpression
or
TC Electronic G-major
or
POD XT PRO
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Last edited by gface at Mar 25, 2008,
bump
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Even a basic rack can cost several thousand dollars to set up, on the cheap end. Unless you have the money for a power conditioner, good rack case, and a decent MIDI controller system, save your money (unless you want to lose everything in a power surge)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Rocktron Prophpesy pre-amp FTW!!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Highwaytohell

or, for the power tube part, get a carvin for $1000 less.
Great thing to look into is the Rockman line of Rack gear you very well may like it alot.

they sound great and don't cost an arm and leg.

for a basic rockman set it it will cost

Rockman Sustainer 150
Some kind of 15 to 31 band dual EQ 200-300
Rockman Stereo Echo-250
Rockman Stereo Chorus 150
Rockman Midi octupus 200
Floor pedal for Midi octopus 100

so you got a VERY nice rack set up for 900 bucks

and a power conditioner
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Mar 26, 2008,
Rockman Sustainer 150
Some kind of 15 to 31 band dual EQ 200-300
Rockman Stereo Echo-250
Rockman Stereo Chorus 150
Rockman Midi octupus 200
Floor pedal for Midi octopus 100

so you got a VERY nice rack set up for 900 bucks

You get a mediocre rack setup for $900 that will be destroyed by a power surge.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A new mesa boogie pre and power amp will set you back at least $4000, I don't think that's an option for the TS, seeing he doesn't know much about gear
Hmm a good rack... try google image searching marketa janska .

Jokes umm make ur own, buy a vox V847 wah a boss delay and boost pedal and whatever else u need and use that. Get the best of everything dont compromize.
Quote by gface
which should i go for

Rocktron Xpression
or
TC Electronic G-major
or
POD XT PRO

XT pro is primarily a modeler which can be used in place of a preamp although it does have many good quality effects especially if you have the FX junkie pack installed. A nice idea as the models sound better from the xt pro compared to the pod xt and xt live. Still digital however.

The TC however is a great unit, effects only and quite limited effects types too but the quality of the effects is much higher than the XT, you would need a separate preamp&power amp/head/combo with a loop to put the TC into to get the best results. Im getting a Gmajor for my rack as soon as my car problems leave me with enough cash to get one.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I have several friends with rack rigs, the cheapest of which was still over five thousand USD (the most expensive of which is pushing 20 thousand USD as of last week).

It can be done cheaper if you need to, but note that "cheaper" still doesn't mean "inexpensive".

Personally if I was trying to not spend a fortune, I would try and find a Yamaha T50 or T100 (4U rackmount head) so I wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on a separate preamp and power amp. I'd go for the G-Major and use one of the relays on it to do my amp channel switching. I'd use the other relay to control a Radial Loopbone (velcro'ed to the bottom of the rack case) to switch an overdrive in and out from in front of the amp. A good power conditioner, a Rocktron MidiMate, and an 8U rack case (at least). Regardless, we're still looking at well over two thousand bucks for that setup after you factor in that you still don't have any cables and still don't have a cab.

One of the best deals on new rackmount power amps is the Carvin TS100 at about $550. If you're shopping used, look for Peavey Classic series power amps as they're solid and inexpensive. One fantastic preamp that's often overlooked by the snobs on the internet is the Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1. It's solid state, but is all analog unlike most of the tube preamps on the market which are really just digital preamps with a marketing scheme. For a real "all tube" preamp, used Soldano SP-77's aren't expensive and sound fantastic.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Archeo Avis
You get a mediocre rack setup for $900 that will be destroyed by a power surge.

that imo is one of the Best setups in the world for 900 bucks.

and I didn't recomend a power amp or anything cause I was just telling him some nice effects
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
You don't seem ready. You need to do your research first.

+1

I was going to say that earlier, but didn't feel like getting **** for being the one to say it.
i have connections at sweetwater sound, and my sales engineer said that the preamps vox tonelab LE and Pod Xt are the best. the xt is better for fx tweak and modern music. the LE is better for boutique amp modeling. i would get an xt rackmnt or x3. with the rackmount i would get an fx board cuz u can get more tones on the board. same with the x3.
Think of it this way, a combo amp or a half stack or whatever, is basically a preamp and a power amp all combined into one. The power being what actually powers the sound, measured in watts, 100 watts, 120, whatever the case may be. The preamp is what allows for custimization of sound. But, as is especially the case when using combos/ heads, you really may need a decent eq to get even more variety from your sound. But, theres nothing wrong with just using your combo for now. If you are trying to play shows though, it may be a good investment to find a decent cabinet to use as well, and just use your combo as your head, with the rack setup in the effects loop.

My rack setup now consists of:

Furman Power Conditioner
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-PL8-II-Power-Conditioner?sku=181301

Sabine Rack Tuner
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2000/RT-7000-7100.html

Some intermediate 31 band EQ

BBE Sonic Maximizer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-362-Sonic-Maximizer?sku=180910

Rocktron Super C Noise Reducer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Hush-Super-C-Guitar-Noise-Reducer?sku=180605

Its all incased in a six space SKB rack
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-6Space-Rack-Case?sku=544606

The best part about it all, was that I bought all of it used, ALL of it for $350.
Last edited by Dead__Poetic at Mar 31, 2008,
Tech 21 PSA for your preamp.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster