hi guys

i use adobe audition 2.0 and record directly into the computer with a jack adaptor from my amp and sometimes my mic, an SM58

i'm thinking about gettin protools or something like that but my question is...

can i achieve a somewhat produced sound with what i have?? as in i listen to my recording and it sounds so distant and muddy even when i try to double up tracks and make it more punchy.

i listen to a produced cd of a famous band and everything is so clear and loud and crisp. obviously ill never get it like that but i'm asking IF ANYONE knows a few tricks to make my recorded sound a bit better.

cheers
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
you dont need protools to get great sound, Sonar or even Reaper will work just fine for a home studio.

the first piece of gear you should get is an audio interface instead of relying on your stock sound card to record. This will give you a huge upgrade in audio quality.

Protools requires specific hardware to work and it gets high in price...it is used mostly in the TV production field with Avid video editing software.

I use PT all the time in school and have been able to do the same things on that program as I can at home with Reaper...as well as Cakewalk Sonar 6 producer.

The things holding you back from getting great audio recordings is 1) no interface, stock cards were not made to record..., and 2) you dont know as much as a studio engineer who does audio work for a living. If you know a lot about the programs you use, you stand a much better chance of getting better sounds.

something to look though:
http://www.youtube.com/user/recordbetteraudio
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 25, 2008,
I am actually rather adversed to the ProTools LE setups and accompanying hardware. I've found that Digidesign hardware until you get into the HD area is rather lacking compared to offerings from non-software specific brands. I much prefer Sonar 7 to the newest variation of ProTools, plus it allows me to use whatever outboard I want.
Keep on experimenting with it. The more experience you have the better your productions will be. Also the guy two posts above me is right.

I use Audition. I run my mic (I think it's an SM57) into a Behringer Eurorack mixer (just a cheap 70 dollar one, but it has 4 stereo channels so I can record drums well; you don't need that many channels and can probably get something for 40 or 50 usd) and go from there into my laptop's mic input. I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do but it works for me.

You can hear songs I've done at http://tylercharles.dmusic.com or http://myspace.com/tylerestes - I've been impressed with the production quality I'm able to get.

Good luck.
No. You can't with audition. lol.
Okay maybe you can, but it's not recommended!

Adobe Audition is one of the worst multi-tracking software's out there because it lacks in features, it doesn't even have a midi editor - not good...

Here is some tricks to get recordings that sound like the professionals:
1) You need an audio interface - start with m-audio 410 it's fairly cheap and it's a great starting point...
2) You need a good microphone - get a Rode NT1A that is also fairly cheap and will provided you some warm vocals and can mic almost anything...
3) Get good at EQ'ing your mixes... Too much bass KILLS any song, cut it out...
4) Get good mastering software - Ozone 3 is what I use and it's pretty flexible - but I am beginning to like it less and less... (This is a BIG step in sound because if you use the right presets you can get all your mixes to be VERY loud and clear like the professionals have theirs...)
5) Don't use to much reverb - it's a killer in a mix too...
6) If you have extra cash buy a good preamp - I have a joemeek OneQ and love it...

I've done all the steps above and I'm a famous musician touring the world right now...
Okay well the last part is a bit of a lie, but I did do the stuff up there and it turned out favorable - maybe not yet at 100% professional quality as they use pristine convertors and they normally run Pro Tools HD which the conversion is unsurpassable.

Go listen to my music it's in my sig below or on iTunes
Audition's quite good with mastering actually...though I do recommend reading Ozone's manual as it's very descriptive and could give you a lot of hints on mastering, which will give you the polished sound. Tweak's guide is also a good resource. In any case, get a decent soundcard and go from there...you may not need a Lynx, MOTU, or RME but you can get good sounds with M-Audio, Emus, or Echo's offerings, and they'll help you with processing power. They often come with preamps, which can simplify things a bit.